1 (5.9%)
I'm tired of "bribing" people with releases before I get a comment
4 (23.5%)
Completely indiffernt
6 (35.3%)
Stop your complaining and get back to work
6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Topic: How Sick are you of....  (Read 10742 times)

Offline Fallen_Warrior

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Go to hell Frey
How Sick are you of....
« on: December 23, 2009, 12:11:58 pm »
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 04:49:49 pm by Fallen_Warrior »
All that remains are ashes caused by neglect and self loathing

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
Re: How Sick are you of....
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 12:40:40 pm »
WTF? Most of the recent wips/releases seem to have comments?

Offline wulf111

• Member of OutaLance Shipyards
  • Lt.
  • OutaLance, Where Dreams Become a Reality
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 12:54:01 pm »
as i stated in your Roosevelt thread FW i can see some of it happening but i have 200+ views and 12 posts 4 of them mine and no-one has posted after my last one back on the 8 of December i posted pretty much the same info on my other modeling forum and i have 2 pages of posts so far. is everyone caught up in Christmas right now or is this place dying out?

Try been someone with limited skills again and having to work at a slower pace. Then see how the lack of comments makes you want to carry on working.

this is kind of why i left things a while back

Chuck Norris floats like a butterfly and stings like a tomahawk missile. At mach 3. In the face.

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 12:58:28 pm »
But how many downloads? To me, a download is a statement..because why would you download something if you thought it was crap? It's also the holidays..are people out of town? Too busy to play on the PC? Still shopping ::) ect.

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 01:10:06 pm »
as i stated in your Roosevelt thread FW i can see some of it happening but i have 200+ views and 12 posts 4 of them mine and no-one has posted after my last one back on the 8 of December i posted pretty much the same info on my other modeling forum and i have 2 pages of posts so far. is everyone caught up in Christmas right now or is this place dying out?

Try been someone with limited skills again and having to work at a slower pace. Then see how the lack of comments makes you want to carry on working.

this is kind of why i left things a while back

Ahh, I can kinda see your point, however starblazers type stuff appeals to a certain fanbase, which is not the fanbase this forum was intended for (which is trek, not anamie) so you're outside your element on that. The small percentage of trek fans who also like anamie are going to post but probably it's not going to interest much  more. I've seen a couple eps on this starblazers toonami site before it was cancled, and it's never in the TV listings. I'd probably like it if I could watch it, but a game version against trek ships still doesn't interest me.  As for this place dieing out? Have you noticed how hard it is to type a quoted post with the side scroll bar for the text constantly jumping all over as you type? You can't see what you type because it's below the part of the text field the forum is showing you and the scrollbar drops to your fresh text for the breif second you type a letter, then defauls back to the middle. They got a few bugs to iron out of their recent update I'd say.

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 01:26:54 pm »
Holidays not withstanding, the forums cycle in periods of use and non-use.

I'm not sure that this forum will ever be back to the having strength in people posting since SFC2: EAW first came out. Keep in mind too that SFC:OP is pushing ten years old as a PC game and there are a huge number of other PC games/platforms and real life activities that take up people's time.

Fallen Warrior's post/commentary is not the first time issues like this have come up.

From my personal perspective and IIRC, there was a time when the model maker gods were pissed off at every body who posted any percieved "severe constructive criticism" on a model maker's latest WIP. Anybody else remember any of the original critiques of the TOS Connies or even the first TNG Galaxy or even the Sovereign class ships pre-SFC3? People back then would tell the model maker's that the color of the deflector was wrong on P81's Galaxy or the number of windows was wrong on somebody's TOS Connie? Talk about FLAME WARS! We lost model makers over that and people even got banned for their "opinions."

HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline pepperman

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 03:02:48 pm »
I suspect the age of the games have a lot to do with it as well.  Many folks have just moved on to other things.  I don't think this isn't unique to SFC as I have seen similar things going on with BC, and Armada.

What we really need is a new modable Star Trek based game to infuse some life back into the system.  Personally, I like to see folks spend less time doing Federation stuff and shore up the other races.  Naturally, the Romulans come to mind. 

And then there is always the challenges of R/L.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 03:48:48 pm »
now my WIPs are not models but hey I am working on things for here.  Do I care if I get comments, not really, but yeah, they do help when they do come in.  But I do it for myself and personal enjoyment.  The part that others will be able to use or benefit from it is a bonus.  The part that bothers me is the lack of responses to questions and such from the "leadership" the ones who are suppose to be helping keep the community moving forward.  Simple things like the 2009 state of the Dynaverse gong on how many months of waiting now (hmmm, one more week and it will be the 2010 state of the Dynaverse we are waiting on)

But it comes down to if you are not doing it for yourself, you will always be disappointed in others.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 05:46:15 pm »
I kind of look at it this way..

I worked with Nanner on Generations at War as a member of the team, did a lot of work.  Some textures, scaling, a few kitbashes.  I've worked on close to 400 models.  Have a policy of if some thing I worked on is ported to something else.. please send me a screenie.

I should be drowning in screenies.  Think in five years, I had KF send me some, and got a few here of ingame shots.  I gathered some from the BC forums (none were ever sent from there).  One, I think, was sent by a Vegastirke player once.  Oh, and I had something ported to Starshatter.  That's all I know about.  But I imagine that there's lots in Armada, lots in BC, maybe even some floating around in Legacy and Solar Empire.  Dunno... don't have screenies.  And I imagine that people claimed credit for my work as well.  But I think the bigger issue is not the posters, I think it's societal in a consumer driven society.

(gulp) more please (gulp) more please.  Probably not even that, more.. (gulp) (hunt) (gulp).

But I don't know if you can blame anyone, or expect anything.  I go by downloads these days as well.. and I occasionally hope to see screenies.  But I don't expect to see comments, and when I do.. I'm happy to see them.  I like to get constructive criticism because sometimes it points out obvious stuff I've missed.  (How many windows on the TARDIS?  Geez..)

I think the number of models we're still seeing is frankly astounding.. I love the fact that we're still seeing stuff for SFC, and I still enjoy doing the work.  It'd be nice to see more comments, but personally, I'm glad to see any..
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 06:44:38 pm »
hmmm....

Well if you want to hear it, the average response to threads compared to looks is well under 10% for the big guys in the community. Typically I get under 3% to works I have done and usually it is the same ppl posting hoping I will not drop the project. Mostly I do this for my own enjoyment, ask FoaS how a TOS connie I started is going.

Learned along time ago that I do this for me, I like comments that actually would be critical to help me make better textures or quality work but those types of posts are even fewer.

If you are doing this to look for comments good luck, I know you see it as trying to keep the community going. You are hoping to keep modlers and releases coming here because a active community keeps ppl here.

Well this is turning into a negive post so I thing it is best to stop here

People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 08:29:57 pm »
I think in some cases people might be afraid so say something. Oftem times modders act as if they don't want to hear it or are afraid if they say anything other than "that's awsome" someone will be offended. Raven gets lots of replies because people know he's interactive, albeit reaaaaally slow :P But he doesn't go off if he comes up with something that just plain sucks and you tell him so. Then you have certain modders who have their own little homes and only seem to post here when they have something they want to show off..I guess we're not good enough the rest of the time?

I try to comment on things I see in here..infact it's the only reason I am here...I like seeing all the models and designs that get tossed around and it's fun when someone like Riker just suddenly show up and kick ass with stuff almost nobody does like shuttles or the deneva or a ferengi (even if it is ravens design atleast someone finaly built it) (on that note you may want to pop over to BC..we have our first advanced era cardie...) But sometimes there are things I am just not interested in...another connie, FW's macross, heck there's some impressive ships FOAS has done recently that I find completely uninteresting, ect..thus, I ignore it. There's even one modder at BCC that takes so bloody long to finish a ship he makes raven look quick and I basicly don't even bother to click his threads any more because by the time it comes out I'll have long forgotten the wip. And lets not forget the ammount of buggered sites around here. Filefront has been acting up for ages and they broke the user submit files right before christmas (so much for the christmas release spree). Battleclinic seems to get increasingly more dificult to use with each update and now this forum has a spaz if you type more than can fit in the text field because the scroll has a spaz. Make it dificult for people to post and they wont. Simple as that.

Personaly I would look at the views and downloads...you know their aint 285 unique users logging in this part of the forums in 3 days any more..so alot of those are repeates checking out your progress, and if people are downloading your product then I think you should STFU and keep up the good work. Maybe the fact that nobody is commenting means they got nothing to complain about and you defently don't want to be looking that horse in the mouth. As someone who often complains..if I can't find 6 things wrong with your wip in 30 seconds don't go begging me for comment ;D

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 08:31:34 pm »
well, I am one who put the get back to work votes in.  Mainly because of the way I look at it.  If you enjoy what you are doing, then replies don't matter but help.  If you don't enjoy what you are doing, why are you doing it.

Now on the WIP's I normally don't post a reply because I like TOS ships and most modelers are not making them (or they call them TOS and they are still more TMP or TNG style to me).  So I check the first post of a WIP and probably never look back at it again.

Other main reason is for the most part my thoughts on something like what engine would look better isn't any good for you.  It is usually, damn, both look good.  i don't have that eye.  I see another modeler point out things I never even see in a model even after reading their post.  So I leave it to someone with a better eye.

But I understand the frustration, when I do have a question about something and post a "help" me post.  I usually don't get anything back or it leads to a small conversation but not to an answer.  Mainly it is because of the lack programmers here.  So it is the same with you only so many modelers who have the eye to see what you are doing.  So mainly it isn't really apathy but the feeling that most of us are under qualified to answer questions on design and such.

My own case, not sure how many times I see a modeler put up a wip that is called TOS, is it worth while to argue that it isn't really TOS but a so TMP or later era ship that has been so called TOSafied.  So I leave it to those who will use the models to do the comments.

Now I am/have downloaded and will use FoaS's Kzinti ships, and if you look in that thread, I commented and gave cudos on those.  Personally not so wild about the ISC ships being done, and my comments stopped with them.  They are good ships, but not my taste.  It isn't worth trying to have him change his vision to match mine.   I pointed out the one big things I didn't like, he gave a reason for it, all done with my critic of it.

The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 10:28:20 pm »
Straight up, if I'm not interested in something, or even hate the thing from its basic concept, I'm not going to comment.  People work on what their muse leads them to.  If it isn't up my alley, then I can't give the kudos or constructive criticism.  Who needs some old curmudgeon throwing cold water on whatever they're working on?
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 10:30:31 pm »
THis is my opinion i dont want any complaits about it please.
 "We do it for ourselfs " If that is the case then why show off and release the work you do? IF you do it for your self then you should be getting payed for your efforts , not post them to the public for general comments. I create for OTHERS to enjoy or i dont bother creating it.  If i was getting payed for my efforts i dont think i would bother shareing it to the public even if the contract allowed me to.
Posting WIPS is one way the artist is asking for comments on how others think the work looks and what ideas those come up with the artists thinks about not blows it off or they would not post wips.  I myself post wips rarely because of that fact most dont care they only want something to put in their game , so crap i provide.
Time for life!

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 02:19:57 am »

Posting WIPS is one way the artist is asking for comments on how others think the work looks and what ideas those come up with the artists thinks about not blows it off or they would not post wips.  I myself post wips rarely because of that fact most dont care they only want something to put in their game , so crap i provide.

Well, if said crap is trek related I'll comment if it means upgrading to better crap :coolsmiley:

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2009, 08:26:25 am »
Be aware: spiders crawl each and every thread but are unable to comment. Google, Baiidu, Cuil, Bing... etc may even spider the same thread multiple times.

If you post in a public forum unregistered users can view and are unable to comment.

Would modellers like a members only forum so spiders and unregistered members cannot see the threads you put there?

There is a serious problem within this section of the forum.

Be careful how you say that, I was spooked that perhaps there was a serious technical problem.

Finally, remember that when you post something on the internet in a public forum it is in the wild and you no longer control it. If you do not want people to see something, do not post it. This holds for the internet as a whole.

more to come... on this strange subject...

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 08:51:53 am »
OK, here's the more... I really do want any of you to be upset and take what I am saying wrong. I relate well to this community and the artistic membership of Dynaverse.net is an inspiration to me and a source of strength in our community.

That said, I find it odd that you would be this upset at the lack of comments on wips (etc.) that people post. You have to remember that we are a pretty small community and a rather old one. Everybody's lives have grown more complicated in the past ten years, but those that continue to return to Dynaverse.net do so because of those long term ties and friendships. We get some new members now and then but overall the community is smaller and less active than it used to be. That is no reason not to be optimistic about our future however.

If I might suggest that if you are looking for feedback on a particular work then be more assertive about asking for input. Assertive is not necessarily the best word, but one does not develop a following without some pr effort. Get what I'm saying?

So, there are a number of ways I might be able to help. Perhaps a members only feedback forum might be a good idea, so that you can now that views on your feedback/brainstorming/brainpicking threads are only from registered members? There might be other ways we can foster a creative construct here at Dynaverse.net that matches the evolving sophistication of online communication and collaboration today. (e.g. check my use of Google docs in this thread, that sort of thing, or other collaborative software hosted or facilitated by Dynaverse.net...)

I'm glad you made this poll, as odd as it struck me, becasue it has led my thoughts in this direction. Lets brainstorm on it.

What do you think? Give some ideas and input! ;)  ;D

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009, 08:53:41 am »
I dunno, if we need a new dedicated Members only forum... Maybe just editing this one. As a lot of good threads are already in place. I completely forgot about the spider/unregistered views though. That would make a big impact on numbers of views. Thank you Bonk.... I'm not nearly as pissy as I was :)

Glad I could help out. But I think you've raised a good point that we need to foster the creativity in our small community the best we can. So if there is anything I can do to help out, if there's some web app I could install or develop. We're here to work and play together, we just have to remember to have fun while we do it!  ;D

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2009, 09:37:15 am »
Great stuff man! that is exactly what I am taking about. (I like the colour wheel idea).

I'll let you know that the main modeling forum will remain public because it was when Taldren ran it. (our mandate). Thus the suggestion of a forum dedicated to registered user feedback, in a controlled way. But that has it's drawbacks and there may be better ideas. So definitely lets take this opportunity to discuss these issues.

Here's another example of use of Google Docs, I just found they have these form things... perfect for soliciting feedback:

I have a lot of irons in the fire, but I'll take the best and easiest to implement of what we come up with here to carry out.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2009, 09:53:33 am »
Many times I've seen people try to start discussions over various subjects/projects.... Something to provoke our brains to work in a way we share ideas... But they never last. Not sure of the reason.

I have observed the same and am as guilty of it as anyone else (if not more so). The Turn Based Campaign right now is a case of this, I think it is just stalled. (my screwy life combined with xmas...)

But I will commit to following through on one or two of the best and simplest ideas presented in this discussion. I think we all have a tendency to bite off more than we can chew at times. So let's try many small improvements over time instead of huge daunting projects?