Topic: =/\= interesting article "fossilized microbes" in martian rock, proved soon?  (Read 1710 times)

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2010-01/proof-life-three-martian-rocks-may-come-year?page=

further studies are getting "very close" to proving that meteorites from mars actually do contain fossilized microbes. it will be interesting to see what happens in this case. it goes without saying that if life is proved to have once existed on mars, science books will have to be rewritten. certain religious groups will also have to reevaluate their  belief structure (was that diplomatic enough? :) )
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
IIRC they have only found possible amino acid strings.  A building block that could become life, but nothing that looks like life.  So nothing really has to be rewritten yet.  But then I would like to see some real proof that these stones are from Mars.  Basic composition is similar, but who says it couldn't have come from half ways across the galaxy.  It is all a guess so far.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
I would not be surprised. Matter must study itself, regardless of where it is.

... certain religious groups will also have to reevaluate their belief structure ...

Not necessarily. An all powerful being could have created all that we perceive mere microseconds ago and how would we know the difference? ;)

Put that in your philosophu [sic] pipe and smoke it!  ;D

Edit: I do have unanswered questions about sample integrity and analytical method however.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 04:15:41 pm by Bonk »