Topic: Sony sued for dropping Linux from PS3  (Read 2255 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Sony sued for dropping Linux from PS3
« on: May 01, 2010, 10:56:06 am »
Link to full article

A PlayStation 3 owner has filed a proposed class-action lawsuit against Sony that accuses the console maker downgrading millions of devices by removing their ability to run Linux.

Those features included the ability to sign into the PlayStation Network and to run many newer games and movies released on Blu-ray.

So if you bought the PS3 to run Linux as well as use its other features you have to chose upgrade and lose Linux or lose the other features you bought it for if you don't upgrade. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline manitoba1073

• FLEET ADMIRAL OF THE YARDS
  • Lt. Commander
    • manitobashipyards
Re: Sony sued for dropping Linux from PS3
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 01:50:32 pm »
Old news actually and theres a couple other lawsuits out on it also. And ppl in the UK have gotten partial refunds from retailers and amazon also.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 05:54:18 pm »
I don't see where people really have a case.  This is a console system.  Did sony ever put out it was designed to run any operating system other then their own?  While I know many people find it a challenge to put linux on anything they can.  I just can't see how you can sue that a company took away a capability they never claimed the machine had.  As long as it does what it is advertised to do, you still got what you paid for from the company.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline manitoba1073

• FLEET ADMIRAL OF THE YARDS
  • Lt. Commander
    • manitobashipyards
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 06:46:17 pm »
yes they did , hence why it was called OtherOS. and was advertised quite a bit. And in update 3.21 they gave a choice. Keep OtherOS and lose all future playablities of any games or blue-ray movies, or lose a functionality that was paid for and be able to play future games and blue-rays.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Updates/bd-p/ps3updates

You can see all the arguements for it there, if you have alot of free time.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 07:27:27 pm »
okay, haven't seen the advertisement for it.  Tho I don't do TV at my house, and not a PS fan over all either.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 11:14:54 am »
This case was dismissed in 2011.  However it was reinstated by the appeals court on Jan 6 1014. 

Link to full article

The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals on Monday reversed a 2011 dismissal of a class action lawsuit accusing Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC of issuing a firmware update that disabled other operating systems from being able to run on its PlayStation 3 console — a key feature that was promised in ads for the PS3.

In its Jan. 6 decision, the three-judge panel at the federal appellate court in San Francisco said the district court was wrong to dismiss five of the 15 claims against Sony.

They said that the plaintiffs provided “sufficient facts” when they alleged that the public was likely to be deceived by the statements made by Sony that the PlayStation 3 would have dual functionality, allowing users to use two different operating systems on the one machine.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 01:53:22 pm »
Man Sony just can't catch a break this year. In related news, one of the best ever PS 1 games is now up on the PS3 store thingie.

suikoden II.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 05:59:18 pm »
When you bring things on yourself you deserve the punishment.  Sony has made my list of companies to avoid doing business with. 

The prior statement by the relevant Sony President:
    "Most people, I think, don't even know what a rootkit is, so why should they care about it?" he said.

I know what a root kit is and don't want to do business with a company with that attitude to their having distributed one.