Topic: SFC:OP Shuttle Launch Rate Question  (Read 3120 times)

Offline feld

• Lt. Junior Grade
SFC:OP Shuttle Launch Rate Question
« on: May 18, 2010, 10:08:00 am »
-Has anyone ever messed around with the shuttle launch rate parameter in the shiplist?
-Does it set the launch rate of individual shuttles or of squadrons of shuttles (i.e. does a launch rate of "1" mean "one shuttle per turn" or "one squadron per turn" or ???)

I've been adapting (and having a lot of fun with) Bonk's SFB OP 04 mod in a single player campaign with lots of AIs on a Federation and Empire map.  I've noticed that most of the carriers have one or two for their "launch rate" parameter.  I'm not claiming to be an SFB expert but thought that many ships had launch tubes or balcony systems allowing them to launch large numbers of fighters simultaneoulsy.

So I'm guessing that something about SFC makes it not possible to duplicate this aspect of SFB...but I don't understand why.

Thanks and v/r
feld

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
Re: SFC:OP Shuttle Launch Rate Question
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 10:16:39 am »
As I understand it "Launch Rate" is the number of shuttles/fighters you can launch before you need to "recharge" your shuttlebay (so yeah, in a way, its the number of shuttles per turn). I never understood the Balcony rules, so I'm in the dark there.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 11:32:02 am »
They use a messed up version of the balcony rules from SFB.  Basicly squadrons of fighters can all launch if a shuttle bay is able to launch a shuttle.  So as long as you don't launch a normal shuttle (or at least under the launch rate) you can launch all fighters or just a squadron at a time.  But if you launch your shuttle amount, you have to wait for the shuttle bay to reset.

Normal SFB rules are one shuttle launched per shuttle bay (not box).  Most ships have one shuttle bay, some two or more.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline feld

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 11:43:07 am »
Wow!  Thanks for the rapid reply.

So, if I understand this right:
-one shuttle bay means I can launch every fighter I have ... or a shuttle and then the shuttle bay has to "recharge".
-"x" (with x>1) shuttle bays means that I can launch all my fighters and x-1 shuttles without having to wait for the bay to "recharge".
-and there's no penalty to having fighter's "on the balcony" - e.g. hull hits don't vaporize fighters.

v/r
feld

edit - added bits about hull hits.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 12:02:46 pm by feld »

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 12:29:48 pm »
As far as I can tell, that is all correct.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 02:33:32 pm »
The Lyrans are an exception to this as they can their launch rate is 2 so they can launch a shuttle as well as sqd of PFs.