Topic: =/\= so apparently some people read these after all ;)  (Read 1376 times)

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
=/\= so apparently some people read these after all ;)
« on: July 19, 2010, 08:30:38 pm »
opinions? more or less summation by yours truly? and.... onto the science

in NASA news today, the mars antenna is up for a very large (pun intended) overhaul/upgrade. a large upgrade to the tune of $9Mil (not billions for a change ;) ) the antenna needs some major baseline (pun again intended) to extend the life of the antenna and fix the issues with the pads that the antenna sits on. a very cool and necessary project for the mars projects. article here:
http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/63855

next up is along the lines of human interest story meets science story. the chicago museum of science and industry has a new interesting concept. how would you like to live in the museum for a month?! i would! yes, i am applying and you should to. this is one of my all-time favorite museums and probably the one i have spent the most time in over my life. the museum is taking applications for one person to be chosen to spend an entire month living in the museum 24/7 and be a modern version of an embedded reporter, only for science! the "chosen one" (their phrase) will be recording observations via blog, twitter (:(P tweet-tarded imho) or other viable forms of online reporting on their observations, musings, etc... there is an application process and i love the concept of the project. personally would take one night to sleep in the lunar module ;) story and application links here:
http://www.msichicago.org/matm/entry-application

finally, in the "just plain fraking awesome" department; this story from china. http://dvice.com/archives/2010/07/bootleg-optimus.php
a 33 foot tall, 6 tons "bootleg" Optimus Prime constructed of old cars, random old steel and various other neato recycled materials! take a look!
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: =/\= so apparently some people read these after all ;)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 08:37:21 pm »
@ the museum story, There was something similar over in England a while back, about having a researcher, live in one of the big Museums, Heck it could have been the tower itself, while cataloging everything. I always thought that would be neat.

Of course you know me, I'd replace the Sword of Hope  with a Pez dispenser of Prince Charles or something as a gag.

<sigh> they just don't like me going to museums these days, No sense of humor. ;)

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
Re: =/\= so apparently some people read these after all ;)
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 10:38:41 am »
try crapping in the Grecian urn. no sense of humor at all! turns out it is "ode on a grecian urn" and not "commode on a grecian urn"

my mistake :(
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-