Topic: Noscript 2.0 = Firefox Killer  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Noscript 2.0 = Firefox Killer
« on: July 28, 2010, 02:37:47 pm »
Whatever you do, DO NOT install Noscript 2.0  if prompted when firefox checks for extension updates.

Noscript 2.0 just completely hosed my entire firefox install, it wont even start now, can't export bookmarks or anything in order to do a clean install.

I decided to just abandon Firefox and go with Iron. Firefox is no longer stable on vista/7 anyway, it is fine on XP though. Iron is considerably more stable.

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
Re: Noscript 2.0 = Firefox Killer
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 03:26:54 pm »
Odd, I just updated to 2.0 and so far have had zero issues, this was on an XP install though.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 03:31:24 pm »
are you using the Beta Bonk uhm Firefox that is?

I've been using no script for like eons now, and have no problems.

Went and checked, yep, updated 7-28-10 Noscript 2.0 by Giorgio Maone .

I haven't had any trouble with it on Win 7 64 bit also.  Now I have had trouble with Flash a time or two, but that is on my own end there.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 04:10:18 am »
I don't use noscript but I do use Firefox on my Netbook with Windows 7 Starter edition without problems.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 09:01:35 am »
i have no issue with firefox on win 7 but i have not installed no script update yet. haven't had an issue yet with firefox.
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 04:54:19 pm »
Nope running the stable branch... on vista. (yes it is stable on XP).

I'm liking Iron 5. Getting used to the differences. Mainly no bluescreens of death - ultimately attributable to Flash, but it is the browser's design that determines how far it goes. Once Noscript 2 borked my firefox install I said to heck with it. Firefox is nearing the end of its lifecycle in my view.

Note that a new "feature" of noscript assumes you are a router idiot and constantly connects to the developers website comparing your internal and external IP addresses constantly. Bad move. Borking my firefox? Worse. An extension should not be able to cripple the browser. That is Mozilla's fault, not the Noscript people, though I've had enough of both.

My advice is to drop noscript if you stick with Firefox. Don't they have a new browser project on the go? Seamonky? (more Netscapey?) Nah, to heck the that, the old netscape code should finally go.

I like the Chromium-based Iron. I also like Safari, but I reject it on the principle that it is an Apple product (even though it is a good one).

I'm kinda sad to say goodbye to Firefox but I think it is time. Once a browser reaches a certain level of popularity, I do not want to use it anymore. Hopefully something else will come along once Chrome overtakes Firefox or perhaps the paradigm will change entirely. Which the mobile market will probably do ultimately.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 08:55:29 pm »
Seamonkey is derived from the old preFirefox Mozilla code.  I use it to a limited degree on my netbook.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."