Topic: Light Saber  (Read 6612 times)

intermech

Light Saber
« on: September 11, 2010, 05:05:22 pm »
I had been watching some how-to's on YouTube about making a replica light saber from plumbing supplies. Unfortunately, Lowes did't have all of the parts I needed to build what I wanted. So I went the cheaper way and just bought some silver spray paint and made one out of an old toilet float valve I had and some old windshield wiper blades.

Here are the results (the last one is they type of toilet valve I used:

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
Re: Light Saber
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 10:24:35 pm »
Ah another Jedi builds his first Lightsaber. Impressivel; your skills are complete.  :coolsmiley:

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 10:57:46 pm »
Beautifull work there :thumbsup:. How does it feel in the hand?
Time for life!

intermech

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 08:43:55 am »
Obe Wan has taught me well.

I was a little bit worried about the high profile of the windshield wiper blades, but as it turns out, they role one way or the other in your palm and take the stress off of the glue. I was concerned that the stress of wielding the hilt would pull the blades off, but the contact area sees virtually no stress. It does not feel too bad. It would be better if the pressure was spread more evenly across the hand. My next iteration will have stacked O-rings.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 01:14:55 am »
The old photographic flash units that were used as the origional props are very collectable.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 10:06:15 pm »
Obe Wan has taught me well.

I was a little bit worried about the high profile of the windshield wiper blades, but as it turns out, they role one way or the other in your palm and take the stress off of the glue. I was concerned that the stress of wielding the hilt would pull the blades off, but the contact area sees virtually no stress. It does not feel too bad. It would be better if the pressure was spread more evenly across the hand. My next iteration will have stacked O-rings.
get some paintable calk and fill in between the blades thicken it up some with layers not 1 try. It should make the blades stronger and have a better hand on feel to it.  + if you wait to the right time after applying the last layer wet your hand with water then hold it for 15 seconds it should mold the thing to your hand and have a "percect fit" in theory anyway  :crazy2:
 O rings  in my oinion dont work they wont fit the hand to grip the weapon well enough to controll.

Time for life!

intermech

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 01:24:47 pm »
This is my newest light saber. I spent quite a bit of money on the chromed pieces, but I am pretty happy with it. I have in mind how to make a cheaper one using aluminum foil tape.

intermech

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 07:40:57 am »
Here are a few more . . .

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 07:57:29 pm »
This is my newest light saber. I spent quite a bit of money on the chromed pieces, but I am pretty happy with it. I have in mind how to make a cheaper one using aluminum foil tape.

These are awesome! I like this first new one better than most of the movie ones even.

intermech

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 03:42:54 pm »
Here is another one, this one is a good on the shelf or hang from your belt prop, it is light but you cannot add a blade 'cause I sealed it off:

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 04:31:17 pm »
nice ; ever consider becoming a pro saber smith?