Topic: =/\= new humanoid robot unveiled and new x-prize announced  (Read 1535 times)

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
=/\= new humanoid robot unveiled and new x-prize announced
« on: September 17, 2010, 04:41:32 pm »
thank god for the japanese! without them there would be no wacky meme's or crazy animated movies or...

ROBOTS!!!! a new humanoid robot has been announced called the HRP-4 by Kawada Industries and the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST) (wow what a mouthful. reminds me of that line in iron man about s.h.i.e.l.d. ) at a price of $300k US and on sale as soon as january 2011, this might be one of the first commercial successes for robots outside of industry/manufacturing use. it is a truly elegant design. the japanese are also planning on a moon mission using only robots. that definitely eliminates the human risk factor! i am going to start my training as a blade runner immediately ;) read here: http://robotzeitgeist.com/2010/09/the-hrp-4-humanoid-robot-unveiled.html

next up is the newest X-prize which has james cameron giddy. for $10mil US prize you need to build a submersible craft to make 2 dives to "challenger deep" in the mariana trench, the deepest point humans have been to. some of you might know about the "trieste" and it's successful mission to challenger deep 50 years ago in what could be kindly described as a "primitive" craft. basically it was a heavily reinforced sphere with buoyancy rigging attached. no one has been back since. read about it here: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/earth-environment/article6998764.ece (older article but tied to the next article for refernce)

why is james cameron so excited? he wants to win the prize and not just win the prize but use the dives to get footage for a possible avatar sequel. while no stranger to ocean filming with huge box office films titanic, abyss, this may be at best ambitious. i wish him luck though
article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1312406/Into-deadly-deep-How-James-Cameron-plans-film-Avatar-sequel-7-miles-seas-surface.html
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Re: =/\= new humanoid robot unveiled and new x-prize announced
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 04:58:09 pm »
That robot is definitely of the Shatner School of Acting. *dramatic pause*  - deliver line - *dramatic pose* - (how do I look?-awesome of course) - *adjust pose* - deliver first half of next line - ...

Hey, wait a minute...

P.S. have you seen the "sock folding" robot? ;)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 10:32:44 pm »
That line about the Sock folding Robot reminded me of this old classic.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbzkuUDiFS8[/youtube]

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 03:03:41 am »
Wow, now that is cool! I can never get it right. I don't need a robot... ;)

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 06:03:51 pm »
yep saw the folding robot a while ago. interesting to note that this robot is $100k cheaper than the clothes folding robot
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-