Topic: <snickers> Time for an upgrade?  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
<snickers> Time for an upgrade?
« on: October 13, 2010, 04:10:09 pm »
The IBM 305 RAMAC was the first commercial computer that used a moving head hard disk drive (magnetic disk storage) for secondary storage. IBM introduced the storage unit on September 4, 1956 before unveiling the entire computer nine days later on September 13. RAMAC stood for "Random Access Method of Accounting and Control". Its design was motivated by the need to replace the punch card tub file used by most businesses at the time. The first RAMAC to be used in the US auto industry was installed at Chrysler's MOPAR Division in 1957. It replaced a huge tub file which was part of MOPAR's parts inventory control and order processing system. The 305 was one of the last vacuum tube computers that IBM built. The IBM 350 disk system stored 5 million 8-bit (7-bits plus 1 odd parity bit) characters (about 4.4 MB) shocked. It had fifty 24-inch diameter disks. Two independent access arms moved up and down to select a disk and in and out to select a recording track, all under servo control. Average time to locate a single record was 600 milliseconds. Several improved models were added in the 1950s. The IBM RAMAC 305 system with 350 disk storage leased for $3,200 per month in 1957 dollars, equivalent to a purchase price of about $160,000. More than 1000 systems were built. Production ended in 1961, the RAMAC computer became obsolete in 1962 when the IBM 1405 Disk Storage Unit for the IBM 1401 was introduced, and the 305 was withdrawn in 1969.

Makes you appreciate your 16 GB USB flash drive, doesn't it?

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Capt. Mike

• Live from Granpa's Grotto
  • Captain
Re: <snickers> Time for an upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 05:20:18 pm »
Passed it on to Deb

Mike
Summum ius summa iniuria.

The more law, the less justice.

Cicero, De Officiis, I, 33

"It doesn't, and you can't, I won't, and it don't
it hasn't, it isn't, it even ain't, and it shouldn't
it couldn't"
FZ, 1974

My chops were not as fast...[but] I just leaned more on what was in my mind than what was in my chops.  I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will probably whip the guy with twenty notes.
 --Les Paul

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 07:25:46 pm »
Ugh...  I remember punch cards.  I used to work with the later versions of those disk packs that ran in machines the size of washing machine.  Those machines would take up entire rooms and they had to have serious air-conditioning just to stay running.  I don't miss those days but it's good to have reminders like that just to see where we have been.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 08:52:57 pm »
I've never seen the punch card things, except in a museum, or I guess you could stretch the definition to a punch clock at work.

But I can't imagine sitting their for hours just putting a card in, taking a card out, etc. etc.

But that is sure how it used to be done.

I wonder if in 50 years, we will look back at our tech here and say wow, I remember those.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 10:49:52 pm »
Haha, good memory Knight.

Stephen