Topic: The state of the internet  (Read 2212 times)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
The state of the internet
« on: October 20, 2010, 08:26:50 am »
I saw this ad today. It was not a joke.

Live in a happy, malware-free cloud of peaceful networked computing with Trend Micro™ Titanium™. It's a whole new way to safeguard your PC, with better protection that uses less memory—a mere 171.2 MB—and less disk space—only 292.8 MB—so it won't slow your PC down.

Unbelievable, and funny. Definitely time for these things to go whitelist.

A mere 171.2 MB RAM!!! (note the .2 ;))

And here I was last night pondering the compactness of this code (though I'm sure it rapes the cpu... - Chrome/Iron/Opera/FF only):

JSpongy by p01

edit: running in FF now too (slowly). Almost runs in Safari. Does not run in IE9 beta. Runs best in Iron/Chrome and Opera. Actually it seems to run best in Opera. (the author works there now)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 02:43:31 pm by Bonk »

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: The state of the internet
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 08:01:53 am »
God I love having a quad core, barely touched my CPU cycles at all.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 08:20:22 am »
Oh right. I forget I'm running a three year old cheapy laptop. Kinda good to develop that way I guess. Like practicing with weights on your bat.

That menger sponge code blows my mind though.

I'm working on something similar based on one of the JS1k entries (but I may/will move it to pre3d.js eventually):
http://myweb.dal.ca/haines/#PluginFunctionExplorer

That jSpongy code is set to repeat with no delay. (and has no destructors - refresh or close the page to kill it - or use the stop button) The modified plotter I have implemented above (not quite finished) is set to a more reaonable 30.3 Hz (a good minimum framerate for quality animation). The jSpongy rig will just keep going each cycle taking as long as it takes. You want to fit your code into the time... The plotter I have implemented above does so quite well. (check the performance in chrome/iron) and it also "destroys" itself when appropriate. It is not done thouggh, I need to finish adding optinal controls to the macro parameters, and probably turn it into a documented plugin with proper credits.

Though I have to move my tiddlywiki stuff off the school server soon (not enough space) and put in on canada-east so I can keep filling it up with js goodness.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 08:08:59 pm by Bonk »

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 08:24:51 am »
that is pretty cool indeed Bonk. Is that based on the old code/File compression stuff we saw a few years back? Can't remember the name now, but we had fun with the examples they gave.

It was like a 5kb file, and unloaded these huge video things.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 08:28:09 am »
Nope. Similar effect, but different concept. These graphics are all procedural. Purely code. I begin to wonder just how much one can practically model procedurally on canvas, in browser and what the applications might be.  8)

This all does have a similar feel to the old "demoscene" which was tiny executables doing big things with clever hacks. (lots of it was procedural of course too)

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 08:38:32 am »
It's still cool all the same. I had to spend like 5 minutes trying to find the old information I had on that. Did find the website, and they have a few more up now.

http://theprodukkt.com/

all this stuff still impresses me, and when I did a forum search, The first thing I saw on it, was in response to skyflyer, Tracy G's sig pic, and sending the initial 96kb FPS game to him LOL. Man that was way back in 2005.

Stephen

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 08:47:50 am »
I know. We have history. I love how they all drop in from time to time to check in. One day soon we will have what they want to hear.

Yeah that link is that kind of stuff. Back then when studying those, it led me to the BASS audio library wich I still love and have a sort of abandoned NSIS plugin setup. Using NSIS and BASS Audio in combo can pretty easily slap together a demo like those ones.

http://www.un4seen.com/  (BASS audio library, MOD file capability <- demoscene style stuff, tight awesome code) :thumbsup:

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 09:39:45 am »
Stephen has led me to the idea of rendering multidimensional objects on the 2d canvas. Damn you Sirgod!  ;D  (odd turn of phrase  ;))

Wow, "multid.js" probably using glMatrix.js as a dependency. Good idea. Hope I can do it fast now that I've blabbed... Here's another one: "events.js" - set it and forget it unique objects and events with bubbling and process management. (tall order) - though UniqueDestructor.js has a nice ring...

Edit: and I think it is time for a big-picture javascript framework, jingo is on the right track... but not a framework, a standard...?

edit2: and i think the ecmascript core needs a more sophisticated math implementation to ease all of this.

edit3: and to achieve display of atomic and molecular orbitals on the canvas I'll need to do exactly that - display multidimensional (parameterised) functions in 2d  - by developing or finding and adapting the right codebase.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 02:02:45 pm by Bonk »

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 06:09:08 pm »
God save us all, Bonk will build the first Tesseract the world has ever seen.

Stephen

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 06:27:16 pm »
I don't know about that, but I have always loved geometric art. This is just the tool. Almost at the limits of the JS1k entry (which I must credit). Time to move on to pre3d.js or three.js soon, or writing my own. Wrapping my head around atomic orbitals and other parametric functions on the canvas will take a while.

To model a rose in detail would be a good exercise. I think I have seen something similar somewhere. By their nature, procedural graphics do natural objects well.

See, if I have a set of equations to describe an object instead of a mesh ... LODs, mipmapping, even textures ... all kinds of that old stuff becomes obsolete.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 03:53:00 pm by Bonk »

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 08:44:56 am »
I have done some more research and the state of the internet is very interesting indeed.

I have come across a series of javascript libraries and frameworks and standards that seem to be forming the foundation of the new technology... BUT...

The standards suck! It seems ons of the problems in javascript is of its own creation, or lack of organisation.

Either I have not done the proper research or there is no one official source of documentation for the technology being explored right now. (Um I guess that's what makes it new, lol)

Of particular interest to me is how php.js has been used in node.js. The relationship of webgl to javascript libraries is evolving. THere are complete server apps written in javascript now. It is odd, javascript still is restricted in local file permissions yet may run a server on your machine...

But what we need is a standard that works. An architecture definition. All these wonderful coders need to be more synergistic and less conflicting. A good standard will produce that environment.

I need to take a closer look at the ECMA script site and see if the standards are already there or not. (I suspect not).

I'm very interested in node.js' evolution, pre3d.js, three.js and proper tesselation routines... we really need to break down the .mod model format in detail. There is a perfect use for the new wiki... I have the 3DMax importer code but it is 80% max stuff and hard to filter out the actual model structure. Collada on the canvas... (or .mod bin natively , or new binary routines for js - that is something else that is interesting, I thinkn I could do the flatfile webmap in javascript now... and with local file permission hacks even eddbedit could be made into a javascript app... ooohh there's a good project... an online flatfile editor... that would be helpful... singleplayer config too... bing!)