Topic: Caspian Space Monster...  (Read 10791 times)

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
Caspian Space Monster...
« on: October 24, 2010, 06:18:43 pm »
From the shipyards of the Federation colony world of Alpha Centauri, Lun'-Class TOS Cruiser.
The Lun'-Class (Russian for Harrier), was an attempt by me to establish a starship philosophy that would be different from the Federation standard, but at the same time being noticeably Federation.

Enjoy mates.
Lun'-Class, USS Caspian:

Special thanks to Wicked Zombie for rendering my mesh up as always.

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
Re: Caspian Space Monster...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 09:52:39 pm »
No offence at all but i get thoughts of a federation pod racer. :buck2:  Whats the thought about the 3rd warp and 4 par on the impulse drive ?
Time for life!

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 01:34:47 pm »
No offence at all but i get thoughts of a federation pod racer.

The necell fronts do look like WW2 radial engine cowllings. What is the mission of this ships? From what scale ques I can make out she looks to be a dreadnought.

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 03:54:56 pm »
She's just a thought I had a few days back...
I had decided to approach the Federation colony world (TOS time-frame) of Alpha-Centauri's tech to be similar to Russian tech and design philosophies .  The hulls would be darker and raw-looking due to the ores and composites that would be used.  The warps are good, but not as good or state-of-the-art as the designs that came from the Starfleet Corps of Engineers in the Terran system.  So they had developed very rugged, straight-to-the-point, no-nonsense designs.  The Lun'-Class herself, was named in honour of the soviet ekranoplane of the same name, as is the term "Caspian Space Monster".    The USS Caspian is around 200m in overall length, but she has more mass than a Connie does.  She is a Cruiser nothing more, but I like variety. 
Many of the details on her are homages to Matt Jefferies conceptual work for the Enterprise herself, I liked to try some newer "older' stuff out as well :) .

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 11:14:45 pm »
Question where are the guns as the traditional arcs look blocked. Also I wonder what it would look like with the middle engine swaped with the secondary hull?

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 09:33:13 pm »
She's just a thought I had a few days back...
I had decided to approach the Federation colony world (TOS time-frame) of Alpha-Centauri's tech to be similar to Russian tech and design philosophies .  The hulls would be darker and raw-looking due to the ores and composites that would be used.  The warps are good, but not as good or state-of-the-art as the designs that came from the Starfleet Corps of Engineers in the Terran system.  So they had developed very rugged, straight-to-the-point, no-nonsense designs.  The Lun'-Class herself, was named in honour of the soviet ekranoplane of the same name, as is the term "Caspian Space Monster".    The USS Caspian is around 200m in overall length, but she has more mass than a Connie does.  She is a Cruiser nothing more, but I like variety. 
Many of the details on her are homages to Matt Jefferies conceptual work for the Enterprise herself, I liked to try some newer "older' stuff out as well :) .

Damn good thought!  Love the 2ndary grille concept and is that doors mid 2ndaryhull or placement for windows? It could be a thru deck carrier if doors.  I cant wait to see it in game nomatter how its worked out.
Time for life!

Offline Adonis

• Dark Slayer
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Da Death Squad ™®©
    • Star Trek Excalibur
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 02:32:33 pm »
The Ekranoplan had her engines tucked by the fore side plus the giant propeller at the back at the T tail. The nacelles on this  look like a "here, shoot at them, they're served on a plate" type of approach...if you ask me, not very russian-like, they should go elsewhere.
Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by themselves.

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 09:32:53 pm »
I find the design choices intriguing, though the warp nacelles remind me of my own take on redesigning the Federation fleet a while back, particularly the Enterprise.

Taking a design cue from the -A, I like the idea of the buzzard intakes on the nacelles being akin to jet intakes.

I like where this is going but I agree with the others on engine placement. Why not part them on two nacelles going away from the center saucer? You'd still keep the Electroplan look, but they wouldn't be an obstruction to any saucer guns and would be just as vulnerable as nacelles on other designs.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 09:28:39 pm by Norsehound »

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 09:58:21 pm »
The Ekranoplan had her engines tucked by the fore side plus the giant propeller at the back at the T tail. The nacelles on this  look like a "here, shoot at them, they're served on a plate" type of approach...if you ask me, not very russian-like, they should go elsewhere.

Really... enjoy :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lun-class_ekranoplan
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&expIds=17259,18168,23756,24472,24692,24878,24879,26095,26562,26637,27103,27147,27284,27355,27357&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=Lun%27-class&cp=10&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1440&bih=640

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 10:25:46 pm »

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&expIds=17259,18168,23756,24472,24692,24878,24879,26095,26562,26637,27103,27147,27284,27355,27357&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=Lun%27-class&cp=10&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1440&bih=640

This is
total goverment waist! The soviet concept any ways.  :) 4 lift engines is enough to lift it up geezzz  :laugh 8 tubrofans at that era could push the current marine hover craft about 1 mile . Makes me wonder who really wanted to win a war if it was true in the end..
Time for life!

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 12:47:48 am »
I still want to see her skined.

Offline Adonis

• Dark Slayer
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Da Death Squad ™®©
    • Star Trek Excalibur
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 08:01:48 pm »

This is
total goverment waist! The soviet concept any ways.  :) 4 lift engines is enough to lift it up geezzz  :laugh 8 tubrofans at that era could push the current marine hover craft about 1 mile . Makes me wonder who really wanted to win a war if it was true in the end..

Ekranoplans don't work on the exact same principles planes do.
Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by themselves.

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 11:56:09 pm »
No they are supose to be like uber speed boats.

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 08:31:12 pm »
Small Update to where I'm at:

Special thnx to WZ and Tus for suggestions, advice and renders.

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 11:14:23 pm »
Intersting looks dirty without being dirty.

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 12:11:46 am »
I'm getting a romulan vibe from this. Might be the angles on the nacelles :\

Looking good, though I thought the hull plating would be more pronounced. Still, it's an interesting shade of brown/orange you selected for this... too light to be Kziniti and too desaturated for the Tholians. Would mix in some teals/orange/rust to emphasize imperfections and hodge-podge in the materials quality, but it looks good without it too.

Is the color supposed to imply a lack of thermal paint (why all TOS ships are the same color grey)? What would the registry look like?

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 03:29:55 pm »
The ship is the colour it is because of the ores and composites found available to the Alpha Centaurians.  The reason that Vulcan ships are reddish, and Cardassians are yellow-brown.   They are colloquially known as the "Red Fleet" to most.

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 10:39:41 pm »
Small Update to where I'm at:

Special thnx to WZ and Tus for suggestions, advice and renders.

Darken  and color up the pannels more and make the warps 15% longer past the bridge area my thoughts for Non fed works. ;)
Time for life!

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 07:40:32 pm »
Getting closer to completion:

As always, Thanks to the Deadman for the renders.

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 07:48:47 pm »
Looks damn good !
Time for life!