Topic: OP numbers aren't accepted, when prompted for 'em.  (Read 9159 times)

Offline Keravnos

• Lt. Junior Grade
OP numbers aren't accepted, when prompted for 'em.
« on: February 06, 2011, 06:00:07 pm »
After a very long time, I have decided to reinstall OP and later even SFC 1, with the extra missions created by Taldren post release.
I installed, it and then started (or tried to) the game then upon failing to enter the numbers when prompted I exited, then re-started, failed to type the numbers again then exited once more. I think this is a recurrent issue with OP, yet I haven't been able to find something since the search option is disabled. Therefore I must ask for an easy oneliner on what I should do to actually play OP (mainly to install Firesouls' excellent work).

Goes without saying that help is greatly appreciated. Thx.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
Re: OP numbers aren't accepted, when prompted for 'em.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 07:03:27 pm »
My brother had this issue, but we never solved it. I think it has to do with windows user permissions. Are you an admin on the system?
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 07:46:44 pm »
Do you see the characters as you type them or does windows just go "bing, bing, bing..."?

Does your shortcut point to StarFleetOP.exe? Is the start-in field filled in?

Have you patched? Mods installed?

Most importantly - operating system?  (if Vista/7 do not install to program files, but rather to a folder that you control)

Forums search should be available to registered members while logged in, but not guests.

Offline KBF-Kurok

• Lt.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 01:15:43 pm »
when entering the key and it dosent type in just minimize the window and open it up again. That has always worked for me.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 04:01:35 pm »
Forums search should be available to registered members while logged in, but not guests.

I just modified the permissions so that guests may search (with a captcha).

Offline Keravnos

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 05:18:57 pm »
Just goes bing bing bing, and no input is accepted. I don't know why.
Haven't checked the shortcut and where does it point to yet. I might do so shortly. Still, having read that this doesn't work, I am a bit doubtful.
No, nothing patched. Will do, once I manage to get it to run like it must.
Operating system, fully upgraded Windows XP, 2Gbs of RAM.
Search works for me now, this means that I wasn't logged in when I tried to search. Bummer.
Yes, I am the admin on my laptop. There are no other users other than me, so I have to be the admin, right?

How do you minimize the window? Do you need to press a key or something? Right now, I can't remember how to do it.

Offline LordSaxon

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Honor before Fear.....
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 08:12:21 pm »
CTRL-ESC should minimize just about any game/window.
Also after you patch
 Install Firesoul's OP+4: ftp://www.dynaverse.net/sfc2_op/Mods/opplus_40_models.exe (or stock models version ftp://www.dynaverse.net/sfc2_op/Mods/opplus_40_no_models.exe )  with all options (includes the directory server and shortcut fixes)
Hope that helps, I just reinstalled the game myself for 1st time in about 5-6 years. I still get the firewall message trying to check out the dynaverse, unless that's down and there are no campaigns running....

Offline LordSaxon

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Honor before Fear.....
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 09:27:01 pm »
Yeah Im not sure about the port stuff, not very tech savvy. I did turn off windows firewall, no anti-virus running, and also put SFC/OP in the safe category but no dice. Is there servers up?

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 09:32:44 pm »
ALT+SHIFT+TAB works as well, or tap the windows key to minimize and click on the program in the taskbar to max it back up again.

Yeah Im not sure about the port stuff, not very tech savvy. I did turn off windows firewall, no anti-virus running, and also put SFC/OP in the safe category but no dice. Is there servers up?
Yes. You will need to set up the port forwarding most likely to get past the firewall message. Even if there was no server up you'd still be able to get up to the server selection screen which is past the login
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 06:12:27 am »
There are OP servers up. You should see The Tavern and The Forge. But you'll have to get past the firewall message first.

Are you behind a router or not? If so, you will have to learn some networking basics.

(Bonk adds more to his todo list... put it all over an http tunnel... just pretend real tcp/udp networking does not exist... seems the only way to go these days... no directplay no XNA, no sockets, no nothing, make it all look like http traffic, that is the only way... hmmm, now what shall we do with these other 65535 ports?... apologies for my frustration and sarcasm... but there is a grain of truth in it... the ISPs and brain dead router one-page setup quick guides and nanny AV products have forced us to it...  and how will I share the port? Hmmm... mod_dynaverse_proxy for apache? Actually, that might not be such a bad idea...)

P.S. if you are running on Vista or 7, then the dynaverse will not work properly for you. (The whole point of our EAW update project)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 07:22:57 am by Bonk_XC »

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 12:40:44 pm »
Oh yeah, then there's the windows firewall exceptions. You wont see the popups first time you attempt multiplayer until you exit the app. Don't forget those if you have the windows firewall running.

Offline Keravnos

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 03:03:48 pm »
CTRL-ESC should minimize just about any game/window.
Also after you patch
 Install Firesoul's OP+4: ftp://www.dynaverse.net/sfc2_op/Mods/opplus_40_models.exe (or stock models version ftp://www.dynaverse.net/sfc2_op/Mods/opplus_40_no_models.exe )  with all options (includes the directory server and shortcut fixes)
Hope that helps, I just reinstalled the game myself for 1st time in about 5-6 years. I still get the firewall message trying to check out the dynaverse, unless that's down and there are no campaigns running....

Thank you Lord Saxon and everyone else for the prompt replies.
CONTROL+ESCAPE did the trick.
Now on to patch, then install firsoul's campaign and magnificent new shipmodels thereof.

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 06:02:16 pm »
Another thing to try sometimes if you are getting the firewall message at log in.... is to log into Gamespy and let it update...I know I know...it shouldnt matter.....but Krueg can back me up on this...

Offline KBFLordKrueg

• Commander
  • KBF CO
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 06:40:49 pm »
Another thing to try sometimes if you are getting the firewall message at log in.... is to log into Gamespy and let it update...I know I know...it shouldnt matter.....but Krueg can back me up on this...

Yeah, especially if you havn't logged into Gspy in a long itme. I got that error once and it frustrated me for days until I finally did that, then it worked fine.
Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead