Topic: =/\= nautillis space station, slower spinning earth core, sale of spacesuits!  (Read 1617 times)

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
NASA is designing and brainstorming a new style of space station that has the ability to travel.  the so called "Nautilus-X, ("Non-Atmospheric Universal Transport Intended for Lengthy United States eXploration") " will take the existing ISS design and add to it.
article: http://news.discovery.com/space/launching-a-space-station-to-other-worlds.html

next up is the interesting story about how the earth's core spins slower than previously thought. it is a good but science heavy read. ;)
http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/vaop/ncurrent/abs/ngeo1083.html

TWO SLIGHTLY USED SPACE SUITS FOR SALE!!!! not kidding. to commemorate the 50th anniversary of alan sheppards "freedom 7" mission, space suits will be sold. 2 soviet suits will be the highlight! article here: http://www.gizmag.com/two-slightly-used-space-suits-for-sale/17939/
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Everytime I think of spacesuits, I remember back to the days when the original contract went to a company called Playtex. Yep, the same space age tech is now used to hold bewbies up.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Czar Mohab

• Faith manages.
  • Lt.
  • Chewie - Go jiggle the handle!
Everytime I think of spacesuits, I remember back to the days when the original contract went to a company called Playtex. Yep, the same space age tech is now used to hold bewbies up.

Stephen

I wonder if those old suits lift and separate. Or if they became unwieldy after a normal day's use, requiring an 18+ hour variant...

Back to the topics at hand:

A mobile space station seems like a nifty idea. Maybe they could combine the mobile station with assembly far away (say, in orbit of whatever distant target that they decide) and have it mobile itself back, or to the next place far away. Just seems like building it in Earth orbit would take more time to get places overall than it would if it already started at its first place of business. Say, build it at L1, let it prove itself and its worth, then send it to Mars to do the same thing. If it doesn't quite work out as expected, its still close enough to make modifications, and worst case, the mission could be changed before moving on. I don't know for sure. Just my two coppers.
US Navy Veteran - Proud to Serve
Submariners Do It Underwater - Nukes Do It Back Aft - Pride Runs Deep
Have you thanked a Vet lately?

Subaru Owners Do It Horizontally Opposed!
Proud Owner - '08 WRX - '03 Baja - '98 Legacy