Topic: =/\= space shuttles resting places revealed. new hottest pepper in the world!  (Read 3900 times)

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
nasa has announced where all the retired shuttles are going to end up. most of the predictions are correct. read here for details:
http://www.space.com/11367-nasa-space-shuttles-museums-winners.html

a new hottest chili has been grown. it is so hot at 1,463,700 Scoville heat units that you need protective gear to even handle it! i also love the simpsons reference as it was rumored that it was being grown by insane asylum residents in australia! too funny. the pepper is called the "Trinidad Scorpion Butch T". read the article here: http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/journal/aussies-grow-worlds-hottest-chilli.htm
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
Gotta love this:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/04/12/space.shuttle.new.homes/index.html?hpt=T2

More than 20 locations around the country sought one of the orbiters because of the potential tourist draw. The drama mirrored the bidding to host an Olympic games.

Supporters of sites that were rejected expressed disappointment.

U.S. Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, said the Johnson Space Center in Houston should have been one of the retirement homes for an orbiter, "but it is clear political favors trumped common sense and fairness in the selection of the final locations for the orbiter fleet," he said in a statement.

He noted that Houston "played a critical role throughout the life of the space shuttle."

"Like many Texans, I am disappointed with NASA's decision to slight the Johnson Space Center as a permanent home for one of the space shuttle orbiters," Cornyn said.

"There is no question Houston should have been selected as a final home for one of the orbiters -- even Administrator Bolden stated as much. Today's announcement is an affront to the thousands of dedicated men and women at Johnson Space Center, the greater Houston community and the state of Texas, and I'm deeply disappointed with the administration's misguided decision," Cornyn said.

Don't they have a Saturn V parked on their front lawn? They have plenty of cool stuff there already and they want a shuttle too? I think the only reason California got one (besides the fact that they were built there) is that they realized that all of them were ending up on the east coast and wanted to be a little more fair.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
I'm from Long Island, and I think keeping the Enterprise at the Intrepid is a terrible idea.  The only places it has to keep aircraft are the carrier's hanger, flight deck, and barges alongside the carrier.  I doubt they'd be able to fit it in the hanger, which means keeping it outside in open air.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander

Don't they have a Saturn V parked on their front lawn? They have plenty of cool stuff there already and they want a shuttle too? I think the only reason California got one (besides the fact that they were built there) is that they realized that all of them were ending up on the east coast and wanted to be a little more fair.

So does cape Canaveral, and how many space relics are in the Smithsonian?

Offline Corbomite

• Commander

The Smithsonian was a no brainer. We payed for those things and they belong to the people and by some extention to the rest of the world. They have  Enterprise now that is going to New York. More people will see one at the Air and Space Museum than anywhere else. Kennedy was another no brainer. There were really only two up for grabs. I could see Enterprise going to Johnson, but they needed a real one for the west coast so I'm sure Texas would still feel stiffed.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander

The Smithsonian was a no brainer. We payed for those things and they belong to the people and by some extention to the rest of the world. They have  Enterprise now that is going to New York. More people will see one at the Air and Space Museum than anywhere else. Kennedy was another no brainer. There were really only two up for grabs. I could see Enterprise going to Johnson, but they needed a real one for the west coast so I'm sure Texas would still feel stiffed.

Just pointing out that you made it sound like Texas was trying to horde everything, and that none of the other places had good collections.  I've already made my feelings about how bad an idea it is to give it to New York, and as for California.  I don't think they should get anything ever again after the way those @$$holes in San Francisco acted when they were offered the Iowa.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander

Just pointing out that you made it sound like Texas was trying to horde everything, and that none of the other places had good collections.  I've already made my feelings about how bad an idea it is to give it to New York, and as for California.  I don't think they should get anything ever again after the way those @$$holes in San Francisco acted when they were offered the Iowa.

They sort of are. There is only one reason Mission Control was in Huston and that has all to do with the guy's name on the building. They never built a shuttle, handled a shuttle, prepped a shuttle, tested a shuttle, launched a shuttle, landed a shuttle or repaired a shuttle. During the shuttle program they were little more than air traffic controllers with one craft to concentrate on. Their best and most important work was and always will be on Apollo.

As far as SF goes, half the people around the Bay Area love Fleet Week and the contribution that the counties and cities around there gave to war efforts, but the other half are admitted and affirmed anti war leaners. It's an odd mix, but it never seems to cause any problems with the residents, just people from other states.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander

As far as SF goes, half the people around the Bay Area love Fleet Week and the contribution that the counties and cities around there gave to war efforts, but the other half are admitted and affirmed anti war leaners. It's an odd mix, but it never seems to cause any problems with the residents, just people from other states.

It doesn't change the fact that the city was offered one of 10 battleships still in existence, the ship that carried FDR to the Tehran conference, and still has a bathtub that was installed on it for the president's use, the ship was even transferred to the west coast before it was stricken to strengthen their chances of getting it, and the board of supervisors voted to reject the ship due to their opposition to the Iraq war and the don't ask don't tell policy.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
It doesn't change the fact that the city was offered one of 10 battleships still in existence, the ship that carried FDR to the Tehran conference, and still has a bathtub that was installed on it for the president's use, the ship was even transferred to the west coast before it was stricken to strengthen their chances of getting it, and the board of supervisors voted to reject the ship due to their opposition to the Iraq war and the don't ask don't tell policy.

Like I said... people in other states. Let someone else have the Iowa. The SF Bay Area has an aircraft carrier, a sub and many other ships, not to mention Suisun Bay that is getting poisoned by all the rotting hulks out there and no federal funds to clean it up. The Navy also left them with a Superfund toxic waste site at Alameda to deal with. They had good reason to balk given that the military pulled out of most of their bases and left the counties to deal with the mess.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
Well, when your former mayor spends 3 million dollars of federal money to get the ship transferred to your coast ahead of other cities on the east coast that may want it you don't pull that ^&^*

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
Well, when your former mayor spends 3 million dollars of federal money to get the ship transferred to your coast ahead of other cities on the east coast that may want it you don't pull that ^&^*

Welcome to SF politics where the mayors office and city council never agree!