Topic: =/\= NASA aquarius in orbit, set to map ocean salinity  (Read 2200 times)

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
=/\= NASA aquarius in orbit, set to map ocean salinity
« on: June 12, 2011, 06:09:11 pm »
the new satellite will map the salt content of all the worlds oceans and will do so for a long time to come. the purpose is to track and record the varying salt content and get a better grasp of the oceans health. read the article here: http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/161321/20110611/aquarius-salt-mapper-hits-orbit-video.htm
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Re: =/\= NASA aquarius in orbit, set to map ocean salinity
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 04:50:59 pm »
Cool.  8)

So, does that make this The Age of Aquarius?  :music: ;)

But seriously, how does it work?
The instrument will be able to do this by sensing thermal microwave emissions from the water's surface with three microwave instruments called radiometers.
Oh... but how does that work?  ;D

93 mile resolution seems a tad rough. Should give the big picture but higher resolutions could be very interesting particularly at coastlines and bays.

Offline drb

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: =/\= NASA aquarius in orbit, set to map ocean salinity
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 03:06:34 pm »
Hoi stoneyface_XC,

Thank you, for sharing your fine finds! I have had an interest in oceanography, and as I understand we now have a very useful tool for a long time to come; very interesting!

Cheers!

Take care... of our oceans

drb