Topic: =/\= 1325mpg test car project  (Read 5296 times)

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
=/\= 1325mpg test car project
« on: June 23, 2011, 07:03:28 pm »
this is just a great read. 11 year test pilot using some really interesting technology to push the "mpg" race!
http://inhabitat.com/1325-mpg-hypermiling-car-piloted-by-11-year-old-student/
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
Re: =/\= 1325mpg test car project
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 08:58:56 pm »
Interesting but I do wonder how well the tech will transfer to the real world? Automobiles have gotten much more efficient over the years though. I had had a 3400 pound 85 Ford Bronco II that got 15 mpg from a 2800cc/170ci V6 yet my current 4200 pound 97 Ford Explorer with a 5000cc/302ci V8 gets just a little less at 13.5 mpg in the same driving conditions. The increased efficiencies in the very last part of the 80's and during the 90's  continuing to today are actually amazing.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 09:43:16 pm »
I agree, a superlight shell on a trike frame with a small 11 year old girl driving doesn't translate over to a car that can carry a family and groceries.  Those micro optimizations just don't work when you need torque to move a larger vehicle.  The ability to take a few miles to get up to speed is not something you have when driving in a town.  But it is interesting.

I did read of a diesel racecar that got a hundred miles per gallon on the race track once tho.  Not sure where I read/heard it.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 11:00:51 pm »
Thats cool but not practial.
Its all worthless None of this tech will end up in the real world without high costs. Greed will rule thats a fact , untill they remove oil companys telling auto companys what to do nothing will change.  Volt is a joke hell GE 1918 created a electric car that got 60 miles a charge.It looked like a VW bug .  You can hardly find any info in that any more. I wonder WHY  :crazy2:
Time for life!

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 01:05:42 am »
you don't find anything on the turbine engine car that was made back in the 50's either.  (think it was the 50's, I am fuzzy on it)

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 08:48:09 am »
you don't find anything on the turbine engine car that was made back in the 50's either.  (think it was the 50's, I am fuzzy on it)

1960's actually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Turbine_Car

Besides the nitrogen oxides that are mentioned in the article I think the fuel mileage was on the low side even by the standards of the day. One big benefit we would see today would be the ability to burn almost anything, the turbine is the ultimate multi-fuel engine. Chrysler dropped the turbine program when they went to the government for financial help in the 1980's because of the financial risk. A descendant of the Chrysler Turbine program is in use today in the M1 tank.

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 07:04:21 pm »
unfortunately oil companies are just too powerful. they make too much money to suffer the stings of new tech, so it is common practice to buy up patents and squash breakthroughs. until oil runs out, i fear that nothing will be significantly researched and we will then hear blasting in the sound of "we should have researched earlier i guess... shucks..." *oil exec kicks ground and looks dopey, while secretly laughing on the inside...
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 12:06:23 am »
unfortunately oil companies are just too powerful. they make too much money to suffer the stings of new tech, so it is common practice to buy up patents and squash breakthroughs. until oil runs out, i fear that nothing will be significantly researched and we will then hear blasting in the sound of "we should have researched earlier i guess... shucks..." *oil exec kicks ground and looks dopey, while secretly laughing on the inside...

The greed have the energy market locked up ! There is no way to produce ANYTHING for the most part without useing their products.  U want wind must have to use oil to make it. Solar same Hydro same. Whats left geo thermal same issue need oil to make it work. Food same nothing is free of useing oil but yet our wonderfull goverment and fanatic rich ppl environutts say other wise. You  public choose it will come to light and will see . America goes caveman or dies thats what they want either way.  They say americans had it too good too long. Let the american public be the judge of that comment huh?
Time for life!

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 12:11:43 am »

The greed have the energy market locked up ! There is no way to produce ANYTHING for the most part without useing their products.  U want wind must have to use oil to make it. Solar same Hydro same. Whats left geo thermal same issue need oil to make it work. Food same nothing is free of useing oil but yet our wonderfull goverment and fanatic rich ppl environutts say other wise. You  public choose it will come to light and will see . America goes caveman or dies thats what they want either way.  They say americans had it too good too long. Let the american public be the judge of that comment huh? This topic or ones like it needs to be discused by all members how ever the comments and kept in arcives so the FACTS will be avalable to our children. Media ,goverment and most others wont do it cause of $$$$$$$$$$

All this makes me wonder if joe public wont bother to try to fix this issue knowing big $ may take them down for trying? 1963 IH tractor co made a fuel cell tractor the local farmers that tested them loved the hell out of them but NONE exist today HMMMM i wonder why  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :crazy2:
Time for life!

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 09:39:57 am »
I don't think it really comes down to the "oil" companies blocking new tech. Before the 1970's it was true as they were truly oil companies however, since then they have become energy companies involved in anything energy related. I think the majority of the tech you see mentioned that seems to disappear is really getting pushed off to the side because of the cost. Look at that sh*t box Chevy Volt at $40,000, the only reason that car is in production is politics! None of the hybrid and plug-in electric vehicles that are available are anything more than political statements that cost so much more than the pure gas/diesel equivalent that they make no financial sense when compared to other options.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 05:22:45 pm »
Don't forget there are also infrastructure issues.  We've spent decades building an infrastructure to service and support internal combustion engines.  One of the things that's kept us from replacing them is the huge adoption cost.

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 09:45:10 pm »
Don't forget there are also infrastructure issues.  We've spent decades building an infrastructure to service and support internal combustion engines.  One of the things that's kept us from replacing them is the huge adoption cost.

Decades? More like a century plus. That is why the best alternates are in liquid or gas form, the current infrastructure could be adapted with little work. The internal combustion engine will be around for a long long time even if it may not be burning gasoline.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 11:30:02 pm »

Decades? More like a century plus.

We've had the technology for a century plus, most of the basic infrastructure was in place within decades.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 01:32:49 am »

1960's actually.

Besides the nitrogen oxides that are mentioned in the article I think the fuel mileage was on the low side even by the standards of the day. One big benefit we would see today would be the ability to burn almost anything, the turbine is the ultimate multi-fuel engine. Chrysler dropped the turbine program when they went to the government for financial help in the 1980's because of the financial risk. A descendant of the Chrysler Turbine program is in use today in the M1 tank.

Nope not the car I was thinking of.  I can't find any information on the one I want, so can't post even a note. 

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 08:08:03 am »

1960's actually.

Nope not the car I was thinking of.  I can't find any information on the one I want, so can't post even a note. 

1960's actually.

There were two 1950's concept cars that didn't have the real world testing that the Chrysler's did. Rover did one in 1950 and General Motors showed a series of Firebird concept cars at the 1953, 1956, and 1959 Motorama auto shows.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 02:49:16 pm »
I had seen the GM version (all three) and they are a nope.  So checked out the Jet 1 (never heard of it either), but nope.

For looks think the cars that are in Fallout3 (well the wrecked cars at least).  From what I can recall, only a few were made, they were tested, and for some reason all were destroyed.

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 11:44:58 pm »
There has been several turbines designed for cars but cost dont fit the bill$. They are racers not for the Green! or even pulling power ie trucks.  The non green D theme or direct electric is going to rule for the masses.
Time for life!