Topic: 3dsmax Questions  (Read 9496 times)

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
3dsmax Questions
« on: July 03, 2011, 12:45:17 am »
3dsmax Questions

1 how do you setup bump maps on a model?

2 how do you setup specular maps on a model?

3 how do you setup transparent texture maps on a model?

4 is there an MOD importer/exporter for max5?

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
Re: 3dsmax Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 01:15:58 am »
If for sfc? 1 and 2 dont work as far as i know  :-X #3 Im or Foas knows those tricks and #4  the max4 plugin also works in max 5 you can get it here on the Dynaverse site.
Time for life!

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 01:39:54 am »
3dsmax Questions
1 how do you setup bump maps on a model?
2 how do you setup specular maps on a model?
3 how do you setup transparent texture maps on a model?

See the attached pictures, the first one is where to find them (I'm using a really old version of 3dsmax, Max 5 may be different), and picture two shows the options for each material.  I've never used transparent textures on a mesh, but assumt that would be opacity.

4 is there an MOD importer/exporter for max5?

As Kreeargh said, the official Taldren plugin works in 3dsmax 3, 4, and 5.  :)

..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 12:54:12 am »
k what about Animations?

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 03:08:55 am »
These are the tutorials that came out with GMax when it was first released. They were designed to teach someone who had zero experience with Max and get you to making your own models and animating them. I think GMax and Max5 are virtually identical AFAIK. Should give you everything you need to get up and going.
gmax12_tutorials.exe
Just unzip it and click on the help file in the main folder.

Also, in case you need it, Chris Jones' "quick and dirty" break_mod tutorial.
brk.mod_tut.rar
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline CaptCujo

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 11:35:32 am »
Where do we find this offical Taldren pugin to create .MOD files?

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 11:53:07 am »
Here's a good spot.. :)

http://starfleetcommand3.filefront.com/file/3ds_max_MOD_plugins_Version_3_4_or_5;46303

Actually, this link may be better because it shows all the tools (including ModViewer and the gmax plugin):
http://starfleetcommand3.filefront.com/files/Starfleet_Command_III/Utilities/Modeling_Tools;874

Offline CaptCujo

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 03:28:13 pm »
Thank you very much.

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 07:09:20 pm »
These are the tutorials that came out with GMax when it was first released. They were designed to teach someone who had zero experience with Max and get you to making your own models and animating them. I think GMax and Max5 are virtually identical AFAIK. Should give you everything you need to get up and going.
gmax12_tutorials.exe

brk.mod_tut.rar

Hey Rod the first link is currently redirecting to a virus site you might want to remove it for now
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 08:50:09 pm »
the gmax tut diesn't cover texture based animations; How do I do thoughs?

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 11:18:10 pm »
the gmax tut diesn't cover texture based animations; How do I do thoughs?
a gif immage can do animations ie moveing blades for tos warps, Im not sure about a Tga though . Only Tga, jpg and bmp maps work for sfc . Jpg and bmp cant show animations as far as i know. But i know nothing here just a fan    :(
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 11:37:59 pm by Kreeargh »
Time for life!

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 11:38:02 pm »
I'm talking about flipbook style How do I swr thoughs up?

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 06:09:10 am »
There's a couple ways. You can make a single frame per BMP and load the texture as a sequence. I know max can do this, dunno about GMax
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 02:33:40 am »
gmax12_tutorials.exe

brk.mod_tut.rar

Hey Rod the first link is currently redirecting to a virus site you might want to remove it for now

It's a free FTP file storage place. I've had it for years. I'm sure the files are safe. Nothing there that I haven't used and uploaded myself.
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 03:10:37 am »
There's a couple ways. You can make a single frame per BMP and load the texture as a sequence. I know max can do this, dunno about GMax

I'm tyring to keep it on 1 texture. I know it can be done I just can't find anyone who knows how :P

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 06:17:59 am »
I don't know if you can animate UV Coordinates, but sounds like that's an idea. Honestly, even if you can, its more trouble than it is worth. Better to use a Video file as a texture.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

intermech

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 07:40:50 am »
There was a lengthy thread about animation in SFC years ago. The conclusion was that it was not possible given the SFC engine aside from doubling up on faces and letting them fight it out in the game engine.

I cannot comment on max itself, but transparency in SFC3 (only) is handled through file type. You can use *.tga which takes a grey scale transparency map. This file type allows you to do anything from holes in the texture, to translucency. Or you can use *.png with a single color selected as transparent which will only make holes. *.tga files are more memory intensive, *.png files are require less memory like *.jpg's.

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 06:42:53 pm »
gmax12_tutorials.exe

brk.mod_tut.rar

It's a free FTP file storage place. I've had it for years. I'm sure the files are safe. Nothing there that I haven't used and uploaded myself.

No when I clicked the link it was redirected, so it is usually the route or the host that has been hit, it usually gets cleared up in a day or two
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 11:00:31 pm »
There was a lengthy thread about animation in SFC years ago. The conclusion was that it was not possible given the SFC engine aside from doubling up on faces and letting them fight it out in the game engine.

I cannot comment on max itself, but transparency in SFC3 (only) is handled through file type. You can use *.tga which takes a grey scale transparency map. This file type allows you to do anything from holes in the texture, to translucency. Or you can use *.png with a single color selected as transparent which will only make holes. *.tga files are more memory intensive, *.png files are require less memory like *.jpg's.

Thank you for that.. let's me try that with the Eagle top.. the "holes" might be what I need.  :)

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 12:00:07 am »

I didn't quite understand the second part :-[ Could you post some visual examples please?