Topic: 3dsmax Questions  (Read 9498 times)

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
Re: 3dsmax Questions
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 01:39:43 am »
the gmax tut diesn't cover texture based animations; How do I do thoughs?

Are you trying to make a 3d comic ?   (How do I do thoughs?}
Time for life!

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2011, 02:34:27 am »
single texture bussard animations for ships

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2011, 03:52:43 am »

.gif files are the easiest to do that with. SFC can't use .gif files though (AFAIK?). Maybe it's something that can be added to EAW once the guys get the source code to compile for them. It "might" also be possible if Bink video files could be applied as textures?
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline USS Mariner

• Heavy Cruiser, NCC-1712
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 09:22:10 am »
Is there any possibility of using the mod plugins for Max 2010?
"Improve a mechanical device and you may double productivity. But improve man, you gain a thousandfold." - Khan

Steam: Mariner1712

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 09:30:04 am »
Sadly, no. They broke back when 3ds Max v6 came out. I'm chewing on the problem bit by bit. I have a bridgeing solution where you need a version of Max that can handle the plugins as well (basically it converts the scene into an old max version).

If I were more experienced with the SDK I'd TRY to write a new plugin. I may yet try to write a maxscript for newer max versions.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline CaptCujo

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2011, 01:26:36 pm »
Bummer, I just got my hands on 3dsMax 2012 . . .

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2011, 02:46:09 pm »
You can model, map, and render to your heart's content. But you'll need something else to convert it to MOD, is all.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2011, 06:52:33 pm »
You can model, map, and render to your heart's content. But you'll need something else to convert it to MOD, is all.

What kind of plugins exist for export though?  I've been converting mackie's stuff for years, and he models in Lightwave pretty well exclusively.. I'm sure that between all of us, someone could take a non-MAX exported object and convert it to .MOD..
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2011, 11:12:49 pm »

.gif files are the easiest to do that with. SFC can't use .gif files though (AFAIK?). Maybe it's something that can be added to EAW once the guys get the source code to compile for them. It "might" also be possible if Bink video files could be applied as textures?
   That can work but lets hope the rest of the code will work with it all.
Time for life!

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2011, 11:14:20 pm »
Mmmmm, let it be known that this particular line of thought has been noted ;).
Robinomicon

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2011, 12:06:36 am »
Mmmmm, let it be known that this particular line of thought has been noted ;).

Gif file textures would be awesome for sfc4 SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many options could be created for EACH stock ship let alone add on versions.
Time for life!

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2011, 12:17:51 am »
APNG: Animated PNG. Good stuff.

Like I said - I've noted this :) - I dare not say more, but graphical enhancements, while awesome, should take a back seat to more important things (and remember: this is the the Official Xenocorp/Dynaverse graphic design Junkie, talking.)
Robinomicon

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2011, 01:10:01 am »
I like DDS files roo because they can have all the texture LOD stuff in 1 file so it saves time and space. On the animation question I have found some more info of sorts. You guys have stated that it won't work for SFC but I'm also working for A2. This is from the BBOM by Westworld on seting up node trees for the models in max

Command Nodes:
Command nodes are special nodes the modify the export behavior of their parent mesh.
The are any node whose name
begins "c_". Specifically, they are:
"c_tm_[name]" Use the texture material [name].
"c_anim_[identifier]_[playback_offset]_nn" Texture animation.
"c_borg_[texture]" specify a borg assimilation texture for the parent node.

and Achillies posted this on the subject of texture based animations

well, experiment with the ore node and go from there. The mesh animation I covered in the link but texture animation is completely different.

It's basically frame animation and then using a command node to tell it which animation to use. If you need more info just say, I will post a quick how to.... it's never as complex as it sounds.

Now heres my questions

1 would I need 2 C nodes or just the 2nd one to make the animation work?
2 in the 2nd node what would be the identifier and what would be the playback_offset?
Also I am having really bad trouble trying to properly scale the meshes for export in max.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2011, 01:19:54 am »
DDS files are decent, but they use a lossy compression, even if the compression is decent, it's still lossy.

PNGs are my prefered format for anything: lossless compression, support for 32bits per pixel (8 bits for each of 4 channels) or 64bits per pixel (16 for 4 channels). Better than BMPs: smaller file size and greater bit-depth.
Robinomicon

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2011, 01:31:44 pm »
New problem Geting these strange black spots on the model after export. Any ideas whats causing them? :-[

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2011, 01:54:26 pm »
Looks like smoothing errors.
Robinomicon

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2011, 03:03:37 pm »
How would I fix them?

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2011, 10:34:12 pm »
How would I fix them?
Check to see if more than 1 vert is in the same place if so weld them.  Im retired now tech advice best proof . Just my thoughts here.
Time for life!

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2011, 10:38:22 pm »
Check your smoothing groups on the original model - I think I cover them in one of my video tutorials :/
Robinomicon

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2011, 01:27:19 am »
I've got nothing but smoothing issues with models I make, after conversion attempts that is.  I think it was you Fury that said that SFC doesn't smooth models in a practical way or something like that, when I was having my smoothing issues.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.