Topic: 3dsmax Questions  (Read 9499 times)

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
Re: 3dsmax Questions
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2011, 01:33:37 am »
I've got nothing but smoothing issues with models I make, after conversion attempts that is.  I think it was you Fury that said that SFC doesn't smooth models in a practical way or something like that, when I was having my smoothing issues.
Thats true but also check if any verts are duplicated more than 1 in any spot will show problems. Sorry  :-X
Time for life!

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2011, 01:37:38 am »
I'm always welding verts during the modeling process.  I've must have welded a half million verts alone when making the Resurrection, and before she was mapped, all the parts were sealed, no unwelded verts.  But during the conversion process, smoothing errors popped up.  Not dark spots mind you.  Just the smoothing would come undone and the areas of the model wouldn't take any new smoothing.  I still have that problem, and I gave up trying to fix it.  When I need a ship converted to game format, I'll send it to someone with more experience in such things.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Terradyhne

• Lt.
    • Terradyhne-yards
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2011, 03:41:41 am »
New problem Geting these strange black spots on the model after export. Any ideas whats causing them? :-[

are you useing bumpmaps for that A2 model ?? A2 uses a complete other 3d-file and node structure than SFC.
for getting rid of smoothing errors you have to weld the correct vertexs and weld and .......

"there will be no better worlds with human presence as mankind tends to ignorance, intolerance and selfishness, despite they tell you about themselves"

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2011, 12:29:35 am »
New problem Geting these strange black spots on the model after export. Any ideas whats causing them? :-[

are you useing bumpmaps for that A2 model ?? A2 uses a complete other 3d-file and node structure than SFC.
for getting rid of smoothing errors you have to weld the correct vertexs and weld and .......

Good question, some errors are also fixed by slightly moveing the verts or turn some poly edges to get the poly to shape right.  Gmax sucks for fine detal like that btw.
Time for life!

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2011, 01:10:38 am »
Those are definatly smoothing issues.  The first one looks to be a rogue vertex causing you problems, might have been the result of a mirroring.  The second one looks as if the leading edge shares the same smoothing group.  Could also be a duplicate face on the backside causing it as well.  The last one looks to be a rogue face.  Probably very small, like a hair line but its in the same smoothing group and thus its jacking up the smoothing.  It probably looks exactly like the edge unless you zoom way in on it.
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"