Topic: =/\= largest collection of extra-solar water found  (Read 2655 times)

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
=/\= largest collection of extra-solar water found
« on: July 23, 2011, 06:34:58 pm »
and it is around a black hole of all things! a quasar has been found to have an extreme amount of water around. read the article for a well explained story of this weird discovery. i know i cannot really explain it as well so...

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/universe/features/universe20110722.html
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
Re: =/\= largest collection of extra-solar water found
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 06:47:35 pm »
take that with a grain of salt.  Heck we just found out our moon should have huge amounts of water, and they are saying they can tell there is water 12 billion light years away.   Not saying they are wrong, but they have been many times before.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 01:41:54 am »
The reason we're only discovering water on the moon now is the location of it.  We've known about other sources of water in the solar system for decades.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 03:33:23 pm »
knightstorm, this is not on the moon, this is around a blackhole/quasar 12 billion light years away :)
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 03:57:12 pm »
knightstorm, this is not on the moon, this is around a blackhole/quasar 12 billion light years away :)

I was replying to Marsone's post where he stated that we should take it with a grain of salt because the fact that we only recently found water on the moon calls our ability to locate water at interstellar distances into question.  I was pointing out that our previous inability to find water on the moon had nothing to do with the distance, but the types of areas where water can exist on the moon.