Topic: Cant log on to Dy2 for Starfleet command 2:EAW  (Read 5966 times)

Offline Black Rose

• Ensign
Cant log on to Dy2 for Starfleet command 2:EAW
« on: July 26, 2011, 12:57:10 pm »
everytime i try to log into dy2 it doesnt work. does anyone else still plat sfc2 online anymore??? is the server still up?? im running windows seven with the latest version of directX

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Re: Cant log on to Dy2 for Starfleet command 2:EAW
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 01:05:54 pm »
The SFC2 Dynaverse does not work on Vista/7. I have a fix in hand that I am 95% sure of (a new version of SFC2) but we need to coordinate its release. Hopefully that will be soon.

While I have had a fix in hand for SFC2 Dynaverse for about two months now, I am stuck on how to fix the users. People are just incapable of configuring their routers and lans properly. We will never have a fix for that. So it will likely be another year or two before we have an SFC2 release that works like a webbrowser. The internet is gone now, we have to figure out how to make SFC work on the facebookernet.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 07:18:39 am by Bonk XC »

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 11:11:49 am »
You couldn't make a quick Batch file that would auto-configure the routers for them?  I realize that some people on public networks would be out in the cold, but those of us who have access to them (or don't use a router at all) could either make the fix themselves, or apply the batch file if they can't handle it.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 11:32:32 am »
No, I could not. Count the number of router manufactures and models out there. How would I know their router login info? What you propose would be huge development task. If it were possible it would have been done by now. How could I configure their entire lan from one batch file? Not possible. Now add in McAfee and Norton... windows is not windows anymore.

No, the internet is gone. We have to figure out how to use the facebookernet.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 12:37:10 pm »
True, I was simply thinking that all routers have to have a few basic properties (ports, IP ranges), but with the amount of changing Windows has gone through in the last 10 years, even that's no longer constant across the spectrum.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 03:57:11 pm »
No. Think it through...

Such a batch file would require the ability to open every single routers configuration webpage (note that windows does not include get) - I'd have to use telnet and send http requests (get and post) to page addresses that would be different for every router. So first the batch would need to identify the router make and model... I do not believe that would be possible.

Now lets say I had the insane patience and magic code to do that... well we still have to deal with the user's lan configuration. Port forwarding will only work on a static lan configuration. Every machine on the lan should be statically configured - properly. So how is this proposed batch file going to do that? That would be one of the most sophisticated worms ever written. You can't write a worm in a batch file... well maybe, but it would silly, like those code obfuscation contests.

Sometimes I think people are toying with me... lets poke him through the cage and watch him foam at the mouth...  >:(

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 07:47:44 pm »
You couldn't make a quick Batch file that would auto-configure the routers for them?  I realize that some people on public networks would be out in the cold, but those of us who have access to them (or don't use a router at all) could either make the fix themselves, or apply the batch file if they can't handle it.
Maybe if we had WATSON AI analyzing it, maybe, but no you can't automate something that is not standard, and everyone has a different styling for their networks
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 11:55:41 am »
I had an idea today to deal with the facebookernet. A SOCKS proxy setup. Just might work. Investigating now...

Offline Capt Jeff

• 1AF
  • Lt.
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 07:13:47 am »
I don't think anyone was really trying to mess with you Bonk.  Most people don't know anything about routers because they have never had to learn anything.   Cable guy comes out and installs wireless router with their new internet  package and their phones and laptops work fine, so they don't even bother with it.   I myself get infuriated when younger men show no interest in understanding how the mechanics of a automobile work, like the engine for example.   Crazy to me that a 20 year old guy wouldn't know how to do something as simple as changing a tire, or do a oil and filter change.   Just a sign of the times  ;)
Capt Jeff

Former SFC2.NET Administrator
C.O., Heavy Command Cruiser
USS Crasher NCC 1733

1AF---Friendship, Honor, Fun.  It's what we Play For.