Topic: Now I am mad  (Read 11390 times)

Offline deadmansix

• Lt.
Now I am mad
« on: August 19, 2011, 07:10:16 pm »

Ok just bought a brand new copy of OP loaded it patched it the works tryed to get on the forge and  got " can not detect starfleetop.exe" what the hell is going on!!!!

Offline Strat

• Retired
  • EAW Update Crew
  • Lt. Commander
Re: Now I am mad
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 08:29:49 pm »
you got that in game?

Offline Capt Jeff

• 1AF
  • Lt.
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 09:09:25 am »
Error in your registry?   Does SFC require it be on a certain hard drive?   Like it only will look in drive "C" ?   What drive do you have it loaded on your computer?
Capt Jeff

Former SFC2.NET Administrator
C.O., Heavy Command Cruiser
USS Crasher NCC 1733

1AF---Friendship, Honor, Fun.  It's what we Play For.

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 01:54:59 am »
hmmm....

Remember something about you have to run the game once before patching, might not be SFC though getting old here.
The other question is did you run the other .exe file, there are two but only one will work after patching the one that doesn't run the video file
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 08:14:42 am »
I checked the EAW source and the means by which the app is accessing the location of itself is via the windows GetCommandLine() function. (I assume OP would do the same, though it is not guaranteed).

So my recommendation is to make a new shortcut to OP and use that to launch the game. (find the copy of StarFleetOP.exe that you want to run, copy it and then right click on the desktop and paste it as a shortcut. - that should create the proper shortcut for you and at least eliminate that as a cause).

Give it a go and let me know, or if you already have done so we can keep digging. If it takes a remote session of some kind to take a look then I'm willing. Though lets try a few of the basic usual steps first.

I'm also curious if EAW is working for you or not, that would be helpful to know.

Offline deadmansix

• Lt.
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 09:33:33 pm »

EAW works as far as I know as there are no servers up for me to try, that is where I get the message in op when I try to log on to the forge Guys other wise I can play the singel player area it locks up when I try to leave but other than that I can play it.

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 10:21:03 pm »
My friend, it is good to see you :).

1.)  Where did you buy your copy of OP from?

2.) Have you looked at THIS thread?

Regards,
Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 06:41:10 am »
http://www.dynaverse.net/info/activeservers.php  <-- Shows Strayys is running on EAW.

Are you in the beta group? If not, why not?

Install Teamviewer and let me know when we can coordinate a remote session.

I am away at the moment and won't be back at home till the evening of the 24th, so some time after that should be good.

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 10:45:07 am »
2.) Have you looked at THIS thread?
Regards,

Frey, Bonk..

Just to mention, I tried the FTP links to the model files for OP 4.0+ listed in that thread, and all pointed to dead links on Ftp.Dynaverse.. have they moved?  Can the links in the thread be updated?
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 12:20:09 pm »
Just to mention, I tried the FTP links to the model files for OP 4.0+ listed in that thread, and all pointed to dead links on Ftp.Dynaverse.. have they moved?  Can the links in the thread be updated?

Thanks, edited with link to FireSoul's new site.

Offline deadmansix

• Lt.
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 10:53:39 pm »

Good to see you to you Frey, looked at the link and that was for windsucks 7 dont run 7  run XP pro with service pack 3.

was wondering bonk got OP 4.1 would that cause all this problem, couldnt hurt to try I guses

got a brand new copy still in the wraper from Amazon.

Offline deadmansix

• Lt.
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 12:49:59 am »

bonk just shoot me a message and give me a time just tell me if it west coast or east coast  so I know how much I need TO adjust and no Mondays.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 08:06:08 am »
I should be around for the next few days. I'm Atlantic Time. (1 hour later than NY) [Safe to discuss time of Teamviewer session publicly.]

Let's try for say 8pm Atlantic today. But if you logon and see me, just check for me on the teamspeak 2 server, and if I'm on we can coordinate. I should be around all day.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 08:19:39 pm »
OK, after having had a look at it and some time to think about it, the only thing I can possibly blame it on is the USB modem connection, not sure why, but it is the one thing that is different on your system that is obvious. No guarantees that using the ethernet interface will solve the problem though.

But I just thought of a reason why the USB interface may be an issue - CPU use? ( a quality hardware ethernet adapter requires little to no cpu to run, whereas a USB network connection requires considerable CPU use - might be just enough time to bugger up the CRC on the StarFleetOP.exe?)

Anyway, care to fill me in on how/why the ethernet connection to your surfboard did not work? It would be pretty much impossible for me to set that up for you over remote, but I can assist you with it in forum posts and on teamspeak.

P.S. I am totally impressed with TeamViewer's capabilities now. I was awed that I could run SFC over it - on dialup!  :o  (not in tactical of course though)

Offline deadmansix

• Lt.
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 08:26:55 pm »

dont have a clue why it wouldnt work on my new board, cus it worked on my old one.

and that was cool, and its my mic that is bad so I would have to buy a new head set to talk to ya over ts :(

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 09:35:47 pm »
What happens if you enable the ethernet adapters on the new board? Do they work? Are the drivers present?

Did you try to connect the SB5120 via ethernet? What happened when you did? Did you use a crossover cable?

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 09:41:41 pm »
I'm going to stay out of this except for this :

if you created a new shortcut for OP, you MUST fill in the following:

Right click on the shortcut, left click on "properties"

FILL IN the START IN : [Drive]: [path to root of Starfleet Command Orion Pirates]\

(This can change depending on where you installed the game to, the default is like :

C:\Program Files\Taldren Software Inc\Starfleet Command Orion Pirates)

You must also use the StarFleetOP.exe executable. Using the other default one will cause issues.

Regards,
Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 12:10:51 am »
Thanks, but that was pretty much the first thing I checked during our remote session. It is the logical thing to check, so thanks for mentioning it, you never know, we both might have forgotten about that. (But OP+ fixes it anyway, and it was installed)

I went over everything and could find no reason for this behaviour in deadmans OP install.

All I could find that was out of the ordinary was a USB modem connection.  I have yet to see a usb ethernet adapter that works well. (or usb network device of any kind for that matter, they all seem to suffer from queer fits, offloading hardware jobs to the cpu via kludgey drivers and just being generally cheap.)

I figure it would be easier to try a normal connection first, before digging out the packet sniffer for the next diagnostic session.

Offline deadmansix

• Lt.
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 03:23:00 pm »

ok got my machine off the usb and on to the eathernet, and still no go my friend :'(

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2011, 04:55:13 pm »
Thanks for trying. At least that eliminates that. (and you'll be better off in the long run anyway)

What the hell is doing this...?  Remember wayyy back when... Taldren used to advise us to update our video drivers when we ran into Dyna login troubles... I know, it makes no sense, and I still have no idea why, even with the EAW source in hand...

But updating the video drivers (or changing to a WHQL set) might be something else to try. If that doesn't do it...

I'm going to add you to the beta group, right now, check the first post in the stickied thread and grab the files. Then let me know if you get the same issue with SFC:CE, I at least have the source code for that product and may be able to address this. My concern, since your XP install is a fresh one with all fresh updates, is that Microsoft has done something to break SFC on XP recently...

edit: Oh crap, I have to add Starfleet2.exe to the validatedclientfiles folder on The Forge CE beta server (we have been using different builds sometimes), the beta server needs a reset anyway. I will advise when complete.

As a beta group member you'll see a new forum visible in the Dynaverse.net section on the board index, the sticky thread I speak of is there.