Topic: Google Wants Your Phone Number  (Read 3346 times)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Google Wants Your Phone Number
« on: August 31, 2011, 08:49:23 pm »
Add your mobile phone to your account

Without a phone number, you could lose all access to your account if you forget your password or if your account is hijacked. Learn more

Google will only use your number for account security. We'll never share it with other companies or send you unwanted messages—ever.

Adding a phone number helps make your account much more secure. Click here to skip this step anyway.

Riiiggghhht. *in Bill Cosby as Noah voice*

Uneffingbelievable gall. What's wrong with standard account recovery questions? They can be made quite secure. This phone number business is just not on. And I quite dislike that threatening tone. In addition, that "Learn more" link makes no mention of why they want your phone number and why normal security questions such as the banks use will not do.

It is also interesting that they mention the possibility of an account hijack, well that's a really good reason to NOT use a phone number as a security question. Are they on crack or what? :screwloose:

:thumbsdown:

P.S. I do not have a mobile phone and never will.  ;D

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
Re: Google Wants Your Phone Number
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 09:26:11 pm »
 :laugh:  Oh that's good. I love it!

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 11:11:36 pm »
Add your mobile phone to your account

Without a phone number, you could lose all access to your account if you forget your password or if your account is hijacked. Learn more

Google will only use your number for account security. We'll never share it with other companies or send you unwanted messages—ever.

Adding a phone number helps make your account much more secure. Click here to skip this step anyway.

Riiiggghhht. *in Bill Cosby as Noah voice*

Uneffingbelievable gall. What's wrong with standard account recovery questions? They can be made quite secure. This phone number business is just not on. And I quite dislike that threatening tone. In addition, that "Learn more" link makes no mention of why they want your phone number and why normal security questions such as the banks use will not do.

It is also interesting that they mention the possibility of an account hijack, well that's a really good reason to NOT use a phone number as a security question. Are they on crack or what? :screwloose:

:thumbsdown:

P.S. I do not have a mobile phone and never will.  ;D

Follow the $, one will find out who controlls what and how so. None of it is good for the general public!
Time for life!

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 11:41:51 pm »
I gave M$ my mobile number for their MSN hotmail.  It was the only was I was able to get my account back after it was hacked along with my WoW account back in January.  They changed my password, but couldn't remove the mobile number from the profile.  The password reset option was changed so that it wouldn't be set to my backup email account, but rather sent to the standard account.  I managed to get the email on my phone, changed my password so I could log in on a computer, and then set it up to a stronger password a few minutes later.  Account support was less than helpful because I no longer pay for my MSN account.  They kept telling me, there's nothing we can do about it, because you aren't a premium member.  My response was, "So I paid for your services for 10 years, and that means nothing to you?"  (I used to get internet access through their narrowband package)  Apparently not, but at least I had my mobile number on file so my email got sent to my mobile phone.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 12:25:40 am »
Bogus, bogus, bogus. That is such a crock. What if the person who hijacked your account had edited the mobile number? This security model makes no sense at all. It is data collection, pure and simple.

I've had dozens of hotmail accounts over the years, never had any trouble with the account getting hijacked or recovering accounts I'd forgotten the password for. I bet you were using MSN messenger. ;)

"So I paid for your services for 10 years, and that means nothing to you?"

Heh, reminds me of that commercial for some bank or something where they give one little girl a plastic toy pony and give another girl a real one. The look on the first kid is priceless. She expresses the sentiment perfectly without a word.

Offline 762_XC

• t00l
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 01:01:58 am »
Google can byte my ass!
Fleet Vice Admiral 762
Director of Strategy and Tactics -Xenocorp
Quality Assurance Lead - SFC Community Edition (Beta)
--------------------------------

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 01:58:39 am »
Google wants to own your online ID is all. Of course a hearty Go to Hell is in order, but their is plenty of morons who will gladly just sign things away.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline FRA.E.Kehakoul_XC

• Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 07:53:02 am »
What those company's a la google and facebull  dont get is ,that the glass human, as they imagine us to function in their augmented reality version of life,HAs a Own will and eventually sh..ts on their fashistoid pipe dream visions of the future.
But it could get ugly as 90% of the lemmings again don't get that they are about to be feed to the wolf.
Bankers lie and and got their own unethical  vision of how the world is and the web 2.0 corporate iD jerks do as well.
And both types should better not get near me

I bet the Egyptian and Libyans,wouldn't get what the fuzz is all about , but they will eventually  do that later, if they have become more valuable for  those company's.

Btw i cant use You tube anymore , they demand now an account,..  since they were taken over by google.
 You tube had accounts  before  and those were sufficient. Then google showed up and suddenly you had to redo  the account and add stuff to the form  that is none of their business.

THis is all so uncool..
FRA.E.Kehakoul_XC

Director - Diplomatic Division

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 11:21:20 pm »
What those company's a la google and facebull  dont get is ,that the glass human, as they imagine us to function in their augmented reality version of life,HAs a Own will and eventually sh..ts on their fashistoid pipe dream visions of the future.
But it could get ugly as 90% of the lemmings again don't get that they are about to be feed to the wolf.
Bankers lie and and got their own unethical  vision of how the world is and the web 2.0 corporate iD jerks do as well.
And both types should better not get near me

I bet the Egyptian and Libyans,wouldn't get what the fuzz is all about , but they will eventually  do that later, if they have become more valuable for  those company's.

Btw i cant use You tube anymore , they demand now an account,..  since they were taken over by google.
 You tube had accounts  before  and those were sufficient. Then google showed up and suddenly you had to redo  the account and add stuff to the form  that is none of their business.

THis is all so uncool..

The next step is  :flame:  Its been allowed to happen . Because  " We are makeing to much $"  Same con with the bank bailouts.  Will the public take the next step or the Con wins agian thats the issue? The Stink of it all!  :thumbsdown:
Time for life!

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 05:40:02 pm »
Google actually thinks I'd use my real phone number.  I'll switch to Yahoo first if a fake one doesn't work.  I don't do Facebook or anything like that anyway, I don't need my life out there for the world to see.  Worse comes to worse, I'll get a prepaid phone and only put minutes on it when I need to do something with an account.  Scr/w em.

Edit:

I just logged on to my Google Email account and I saw the screen that Bonk was writing about.  I was able to Save and Continue without giving them my phone number with each account I have.  While I never trusted Google with my Email, this issue might make me seriously consider switching companies.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 06:08:10 pm by Javora »

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 07:45:40 pm »
I wouldn't give it to them anyway as I am tired of solication calls glad I only got IE and FF.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 08:04:11 pm »
No problem.  I just give them Stephens number and I know that he will deal with them appropriately.   :knuppel2:
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."