Topic: =/\= 10cm wide unicellular creatures! ipod oddities, phil plait's bad astronomy!  (Read 2457 times)

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
the first story freaked me out a bit. but not in a scary way but in a "omg that is so cool" way. if you have never heard of xenophyophores, they are extreme-o-philes. they live in the deep ocean and what makes them VERY unique is that they are a massive single celled creature. massive meaning 10cm! (that's ~ 4 inches to you non science geeks). that is one cell! not a multicellular creature you would expect from something that big. just blows my mind. read the story for pics and details: http://scrippsnews.ucsd.edu/Releases/?releaseID=1206

next is a shout out to one of my favorite scientist who excels at finding obscure scientific data to dispel rumor, myth, and urban legend. he is also one hell of an astronomer. so check out "bad astronomy" by phil plait. i guarantee that it will suck a few hours out of your life before you know it and you will be smiling and laughing and totally pleased... http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/index.html

finally on the 10th anniversary of the ipod brought out a few good articles and this one in particular caught my eye. it is all about those ipod oddities that you may remember or may have never heard of. remember the "ohmibod"? the ipod vibrator. lol seriously. so read here for some really weird ipod related items. http://technologizer.com/2011/10/23/ipod-anniversary/
happy birthday ipod!
i own two. my first was a stylish brush aluminum silver ipod mini with a "massive" (at the time) 6gb storage. then i got my 32gb iphone 3gs that made it obsolete. i can't get rid of it as i had it personalized from apple when i bought it so it has my nick on the back!
"stoneyface's ipod
xenocorp and blackops ears only"
ahhhhh the memories
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
the first story freaked me out a bit. but not in a scary way but in a "omg that is so cool" way. if you have never heard of xenophyophores, they are extreme-o-philes. they live in the deep ocean and what makes them VERY unique is that they are a massive single celled creature. massive meaning 10cm! (that's ~ 4 inches to you non science geeks). that is one cell! not a multicellular creature you would expect from something that big. just blows my mind. read the story for pics and details: http://scrippsnews.ucsd.edu/Releases/?releaseID=1206

Why am I thinking of The Immunity Syndrome from TOS? Very interesting though.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
I have a non-ipod, but mp3 player related question.  What ever happened to those mp3 player breast implants I read about a few years ago?

Offline stoneyface

• Lt. Commander
LMAO i remember hearing something about that. i guess girls didn't like having random men plugging their earphones into their nipples!!!!
lol

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
The headphones were supposed to be bluetooth, although I imagine, the control interface would have been more fun than an Ipod's click wheel.

Offline stoneyface

• Lt. Commander
lmao!