Topic: USS Cleopatra  (Read 15726 times)

Offline Captain Sharp

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • R. Lee Ermy for Prez, 2016!
Re: USS Cleopatra
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 07:00:15 pm »
Here's some more, guys.

Chapter Five

Like a sharpened stiletto springing forth from a switch blade knife, the Cleopatra dropped out of warp speed in a deep abyss of starlit blackness. About her, fully energized shields sprang to life, and within, crew waited tensely at combat stations. Before her stretched a slowly whirling sea of color and hazard. The ship had reached the Mutara Nebula.

Captain Sharp did not have any problems picking out the Beauvaunte from the images on the fore screen. The ship was plainly in shambles. Even from beyond weapons range, one could pick out the dark black scoring and hull breaches from weapon strikes on her once pristine silver hull. She didn’t look like an Antares-Class fuel carrier any more. She looked like a crater-covered asteroid.

“Pre-approach scan.” The captain ordered.

Commander Ellyson turned her seat fully to her console and leaned in closer to her instruments.

“Detecting only the Beauvaunte on scanners. Definite traces of Klingon weapons fire and gamma ray contamination. The Beauvaunte is wrecked and drifting without power. Her antimatter has been ejected. Both nacelles are destroyed.”

As the Cleo drew slowly closer, cautious of danger, the crew could pick out the dull glow of internal fires still burning away within the ship. The carrier floated sideways in a spreading field of her own debris. The flotsam surrounding the ship was quite thick.

“I’m detecting destroyed life pods, still unlaunched… No one got off that ship.” Ellyson went on. Sharp halted her there.

“Any life signs still aboard?”

“Scanning… Captain, I have 37 humanoid life signs still aboard ship. 14 are in the forward sections, unmoving. The remainder are clustered near the damaged core section.”

“Fighting the fire.” Davenport muttered.

“Captain,” Ensign Lania called from communications. “No response from the Beauvaunte on any channel. I do not believe they are capable of receiving.”

“Approach course set, Cap’n.” Came from the helm. Ford was eager to get in there before the fire reached that ship’s fuel tankage. “Ready on full impulse power.”

“Hold, helmsman!”

Sharp slid out of his seat and stepped closer to the pilot station. Something was not right about this situation, his Sixth Sense was telling him. He could almost feel it. He kept watching the ship ahead of them. His dark eyes drifted to the debris field…the shiny glitters glinting within it…

“Computer, magnify viewer image.”

The Beauvaunte doubled in size before them. Computer generated sensor information began to scroll down beside the image in blue lettering. There was so much debris.

“Again.” Sharp called out. Again, the image doubled in size.

Amid the twisted wreckage floated several dark, polished, symmetrical modules of uncertain size. Each was a round pod, with small banks of control lights. Sharp breathed a small sigh, thanking whatever deity or force of providence that had given him his instincts.

“Mines.”

“Confirmed, Captain.” Ellyson called out. “Now detecting six nuclear space mines. More are likely spread throughout the debris field…waiting for us.”

“Nuclear? Not gravitic?”

“Confirmed, sir. Nuclear. Fission devices.”

“A bit old-school.” Commented the helmsman.

Sharp returned to his seat. The alert flashers still cast crimson patches across the bulkheads and officers arrayed about him. He considered the scene before them.

“Mister Fujiwara. Mind your shields. Activate point defense.”

“Point defense cannon primed and ready.” Answered the security chief. At his disposal during combat were the ship’s defensive systems.

“Relaying targeting data on mines to defense station.” Davenport said next.

“Take us ahead, helm. One-half impulse power.”

“Ahead one-half, aye, sir!”

The ship surged ahead. She was deadly nimble on her feet, fast to turn and accelerate. The Beauvaunte began to grow once more on the main screen. The XO reset the viewer’s mag level to normal and they all sat unmoving, waiting.

“Point defense firing.” Called Mister Fujiwara.

Quick blue pulses of plasma fire lashed out to port and starboard in computer targeted bursts. By the second shot, they were gratified with the visage of a nuclear mine erupting into ash. Again and again, hits were scored. The first six mines detected died in less than ten seconds. It all happened in complete silence, save for the computerized sounds denoting weapon activation.

“I have movement on my scopes!” Reported Commander Ellyson. “More mines are going active. They’re maneuvering this way!”

Half the main screen was replaced with a tactical map. The stricken fuel ship lay derelict before them. The Cleo approached her slowly. All about the debris field between the two vessels, small blinking icons were beginning to converge on the Starfleet ship.

“Evasive turn to starboard,” decided Sharp. “Bring us to 090 mark 035. Let’s keep some room between us and the Beauvaunte.”

Just one of those mines, exploded too close, would probably kill everyone left aboard the freighter. The Cleo made her turn gently, putting open reaches of space before her. The point defense cannon continued to fire. Enemy mines kept on coming, the count approaching twenty. The Starfleet craft put them all down, one by one.

The last mine got just close enough to rattle the Cleo’s shields.

“Point defense standing down.” Reported Fujiwara.

“Scanning for further ordnance.” Came from science.

Sharp waited in silence as the helm brought the ship around once more to face the derelict. He considered the nuclear mines. What else would they find? Booby-traps on the hull? Could the Bird of Prey be lurking just inside the gas cloud, primed to continue the attack?

“Sensors have picked up a signal…” Ellyson called out.  “…from a device planted on the Beauvaunte’s hull.”

“Is the device rigged, XO?”

“Aye, captain. Enough tillium to rupture the hull.”

Sharp could no longer remain seated. He stood and stepped in between the helmsman and navigator. “I’m assuming that device is set to blow the moment we approach transporter range. Mister Ford, ready forward phasers.”

The helmsman finalized the preset firing controls.

“Phasers ready, sir.”
“Number One, magnify the target area.”

The little bomb sat on a flat, unscathed section on the lower engineering hull. Below it would be a long series of fuel lines, and beneath them, the inner hull. Depending on the level of safety features present on that ship, a catastrophic rupture there might vent the majority of the ship to space.

“Commander,” he called to Ellyson again. “Pinpoint the area where the ship’s impulse drive fuel lines meet the fuel tanks.”

Ellyson turned and called up the schematics of that class of fuel carrier. The area was then overlaid on top of the visual image before the captain. Ellyson planted a targeting reticule atop the section of hull in question.

“There’s your target, Mister Ford. Phasers one-half power. Single burst. Sever that fuel connection.”

“Aye, sir!”

Ford triggered a single red blast of phased energy. The bolt leapt out and slammed into the unshielded hull beneath their scrutiny and tore it open wide. Deuterium fuel began to whistle out into space.

“Now, lower phaser yield to one-tenth. Vaporize that device.”

Ford fired again. The phaser blast was diffuse and weak, barely visible. It contacted with the little booby trap and vaporized most of it long before it could detonate. The resulting explosion left a deep rent in the single piece of silver hull, but there was no breach.

Sharp whirled to Ellyson.

“Any more?”

“Negative, Captain.”

“Helm, move us in.” He returned to the conn and the intercom controls. “Transporter rooms, stand by to beam survivors aboard.”

“Standing by, Captain… Sir! We have a problem. I can’t attain a positive lock on the survivors. There’s too much interference from the engineering hull to safely pull them home.”

Sharp tapped another control.

“Engineer Bornet, report to the transporter room!” Then back to the first channel, “Keep trying to lock onto them, transporter room. I’m sending you some help. Can we improve reception by getting closer?”

“It couldn’t hurt any, sir. But with the gamma rads from the mines, core radiation and the nebula static, it’ll be a miracle if I get a bio-lock.”

“Understood. Keep on it. Bridge out.”

The fuel carrier was growing to sizable proportions now on the main screen as the Cleopatra moved into range. The fire in the engineering hull was severe. Sharp knew the main warp fuel matrix was in that area, and who knew how many other combustible systems.

“Bridge, transporter room.”

“Go ahead, engineer.”

“I’m no-go on recovering Beauvaunte survivors. The bio-scanners can’t decide what’s people and what’s crap. You’re going to have to get them the old fashioned way.”

“Understood.”

With that, the captain stood and took a long look about his officers.

“Number One, take a party over in the Mark 15. Get those people off that ship.”

“Aye, sir.” The commander replied, bouncing out of her seat and bearing for the turbolift. “Ford, Fujiwara, you’re with me. Ensign Lania, have engineering send me two damage control leaders. They’re to meet me in Shuttle Bay Prep.”

“Acknowledged.”

“Ooo! Hand me that one!”

Commander Ellyson paused in handing out hand phasers to glance questioningly at Lieutenant Ford. Ford was pointing enthusiastically at a particular pistol in the case she’d opened. He was also handing back the phaser she’d already issued him.

“What’s the difference, Mister Ford?”

“That one’s black. And I’m keepin’ it.”

Staring at the bald-shaven officer for a moment, Ellyson pondered refusing. A phaser was a phaser after all. Personal preference had little to do with it and they had much more important things to do. But arguing over something so trivial also wasted time. She swapped the young man for the black colored weapon and took his former phaser for her own.

“Are you a Goth, Mister Ford?”

“No, sir. Just don’t like silver-nosed sissy-guns that show off your position to people from 100 feet away. If I wanted ‘em to see me, I’d have a chrome-plated sissy-gun.”

That garnered a chuckle from the small collection of rescuers. Susan stood to inspect her team’s equipment. Each was fully trained in the armored enviro-suit they had donned. Each packed a pistol in an armored holster, two spare power packs and a combat knife. None of these were expected to be necessary, but her team would not suffer from a want of tools. Everyone had a spot lamp on their right shoulder and left wrist. The two damage control specs had heavy tool kits and fire gear. Each of them carried a laser torch and pry bar. Lieutenant Fujiwara carried a laser rifle capable of slicing through reinforced bulkheads.

“Alright, people,” She addressed her team even as she turned and waved for them to follow her into the shuttle bay. “Our objective is to remove the survivors from the USS Beauvaunte. There are 51 survivors. 37 are forward and 14 are in the damaged after section. We can’t beam them out due to interference, and we need to assess the situation before removing anyone from the fore section. We’ve been unable to establish contact with anyone over there.”

The reinforced hatch reeled closed behind the team of rescuers and each man looked up to the heavy shuttle craft that was being lowered to the loading ramp via crane. This ship had been designed when shuttles were grappled with a mag-clamp and reeled back aboard without computer control. The age-old systems were still in place. The old Mark 15 shuttle, Sanchez, was one of six craft that served the Cleo. It was almost as old as the starship herself. All the others stood in their parking stalls, stacked against the aft bulkhead.

“We will board the Beauvaunte,” The XO went on as they began to climb the expanded metal steps up to the shuttle loading ramp. “…And then decide if any of the survivors need to stay, and beam out the remainder. We’ll have to use transport beacons to attain a positive lock on our targets. Shouldn’t be any trouble once we pin them. Injured personnel will be accessed for sickbay. Once the fore section is secured, we will move aft and pin transport beacons on the remaining survivors and beam them and us back to the Cleo. Any questions?”

There were none. Commander Ellyson nodded to them and ducked into the waiting boarding hatch. The shuttle was wide, but had a low overhead. Ford pressed past her and sat in the main pilot seat. She took her place beside him, slightly aggravated that he hadn’t asked her preference. Together, they finalized the preflight sequence and disengaged the crane’s lock above them. Now free of restraint, Ford lowered the ship to the lower deck just above the outer door.

“Bridge, this is Shuttle 1. We are ready to deploy.”

“Roger, Shuttle 1,” Came Ensign Lania’s response. “Stand by to decompress.”

Unheard outside, alarms were shouting into the echo filled bay, prompting crewmen to abandon their posts and head into the control pod and access chambers leading to the hanger. Once they had reported clear, Lania’s voice returned.
“Decompressing Shuttle Bay.” She paused for twenty seconds as the action took place. The Sanchez bobbled some. “Outer bay door opening now—“

For some reason, Lania halted at the end of her last word. Ellyson blinked. Ford grinned. The XO was about to ask why when the Vulcan comm officer’s voice returned.

“Malfunction. Bay door—“

“—Jammed.” Ford finished along with her. He unstrapped himself from his station. “XO, take the controls, please. I got this.”

“Stand by to repressurize.” Said Ensign Lania.

“Tell her negative!” Ford as called he stopped at the first console aft of the helm. He was putting on a VR eye-display and a set of manipulator gloves while he activated the console before him. “This sh*t happens all the time. It’s why the Cap’n sent us out in the Sanchez.”

“Why’s that?” She asked, hand poised to reply to the bridge.

Ford held up the elbow-length gloves.

“He has arms.”

Ellyson shook her head and keyed the comm-link to the bridge.

“Bridge, cancel repressurization. Ford believes…he’s got this.”

“Roger that, Shuttle 1,” Returned Captain Sharp’s voice. “Bay remains depressurized. Carry on.”

Ford had closed his left eye as he peered into the little red screen poised in front of his right. He slowly moved the shuttle’s bottom-mounted lifting arms.

“Lower me about two meters, sir.” He asked of her.

“Roger.”

The shuttle dropped under the XO’s control. Ford seemed to smile with satisfaction as he raised his right arm and balled up a fist. He then slammed the shuttle’s arm down on the stuck door with savage speed. The shuttle jumped upward into the bay and a resounding ‘boom’ filled the fuselage. The door began to reel away into the recesses of the outer hull.

While Ford disentangled himself from the arm control console, Commander Ellyson piloted them on their way across to the Beauvaunte. She had little trouble navigating the field of flotsam orbiting the wrecked freighter. Docking was trickier. With the fuel carrier rotating and flipping slowly end over end, she had to carefully scan and measure it’s flight pattern and match the Mark 15 shuttle’s trajectory to it. Once she’d accomplished that, with Ford’s assistance, they were gratified with the impression that neither ship was moving in relation to the other. The Sanchez dropped down onto the waiting airlock and connected with a thud.

There we go. A little more to wet the whistle. Originally, the bit with Ford ranting about the phaser's being silver was my way of making fun of the new movie's phasers. All silver and flashy. Still LIKE those phasers...but there's no way a military would make them look like that. I hope. Though, the Japanese did field an officer's pistol with a sword on top back in WWII. Anyway...  Point being, I've since modified that bit to match TOS. Most of that scene's on the cutting room floor, so to speak. The main viewer descriptions closing in on the damaged fuel ship were different too, since Abramsverse ships have big windows for viewers.

Enjoy!
--Guv!
"Jayne?"

"Yeah?"

"You wanna tell me why there's a statue of you here lookin' like I owe him something?"

"Wishin' I could, Captain. "

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 01:19:15 pm »
Like a sharpened stiletto springing forth from a switch blade knife...
Very poetic, almost romantically so. :D

...the Cleopatra dropped out of warp speed in a deep abyss of starlit blackness.
Now this is romatically poetic! For real!

Good installment, Guv. I liked Ford's instincts lighting off and what they were lighting off about. Very sneaky, devious, nasty Klingons out to make sure they wreck the rescue ship. No Geneva Convention in space, hmm?

The baby-rant is funny, but I happen to like the TOS phasers colours. Very pretty! Agreed about the Abrams flippy phasers though. Do we know why they flipped from a blue fire-y thing to a red fire-y thing? Was it stun/kill? Was it a stronger phaser pulse? But I digress.

The shuttle's fists was amusing... having to punch the doors loose is just the kind of large-scale percussive maintenance you'd expect of your crews. :D

Good stuff, Guv. Looking forward to more.

And 'Falklands: Quarantine' edges ever closer to completion...
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline Captain Sharp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2012, 06:04:56 pm »
I also like the TOS phasers, both regular and 'Cage' versions (the later primarily, save for the enlarged trigger). My crew here use the Cage version (yeah, I know in the Cage, they called em lasers. In the next ep they were phasers. I am among the number of writers who retroactively rename them phasers...). I almost took Ford's rant out BECAUSE I have no complaints about TOS phaser pistols. But, Ford is Ford. He's a big kid. He likes a black phaser.

Never heard my stuff called romantic before. Thank you.

Am looking forward to the Falklands conclusion.

--Guv
"Jayne?"

"Yeah?"

"You wanna tell me why there's a statue of you here lookin' like I owe him something?"

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 12:50:55 am »
The baby-rant is funny, but I happen to like the TOS phasers colours. Very pretty! Agreed about the Abrams flippy phasers though. Do we know why they flipped from a blue fire-y thing to a red fire-y thing? Was it stun/kill? Was it a stronger phaser pulse? But I digress.

It was stun/kill.  You'll recall Kirk switches to the 'blue' barrel just before putting a Romulan down so that Spock can mind meld with his target.  Guessing that wouldn't have worked so well on a dead guy (though realistically there would still be brain activity even after a fatal shot...probably wouldn't wanna be inside his noggin when he passes beyond, though).

I'm with Rog on the new Trek phasers.  Loved the look, hated the practicality level.  I also liked the bridge, which Rog teases me about mercilessly.

"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Captain Sharp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2012, 06:34:05 pm »
Guessing that wouldn't have worked so well on a dead guy (though realistically there would still be brain activity even after a fatal shot...probably wouldn't wanna be inside his noggin when he passes beyond, though).

To quote the new Freddy Krueger.
"The human brain remains active for up to seven minutes after death... You know what that means?
...Six more minutes to plaaa-aayyyyyyy------!"

Freddy...my hero.

And that bridge looks like some techno Starbucks, or an electronics boutique from Hell. Goes great with the Budweiser plant they got down in the secondary hull.

Love the movie...hate the ship's interior.

--Guv
"Jayne?"

"Yeah?"

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 07:19:53 pm »
See?  (Though I also hated the engine room).
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."

Offline Captain Sharp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 07:23:51 pm »
Hmmm, time for more story.

Chapter Six

Securing the Beauvaunte had been a short but vicious trial. The ship’s acting captain, First Officer Boles, had been disinclined to abandon her ship and crew’s livelihood. In the end, they had had to dump their entire deuterium fuel load and vent three-quarters of the ship’s interior to space. Only then were the fires quelled.

While the boarding party had been involved in this, Sharp had gone about deploying the ship’s entire compliment of twenty-three recon drones into the waiting nebula. All that remained was a long wait, it seemed.

“Shuttle docking in hanger bay.” Came Ensign Lania’s smooth voice from the after section of the bridge. Sharp nodded unconsciously to the report.

“Signal Starfleet Command, ensign.” He called back to her. “Appraise them of mission status and the developments with the Beauvaunte. Include the strategic report Ford and Davenport gave us.”

“Aye, sir. Sending now.”

“Mister Davenport, drone ETA to Point Able?”

“Fifty-seven minutes, Captain.”

“Very well.” Sharp decided he needed a bit of time off the bridge, and also wanted more time with the pilots’ report on likely targets in the Mutara Sector. The junior officers were not very experienced in such analysis, but even their preliminary report showed that the two of them worked very well together and had a good grasp of the area’s current strategic situation. He stood, headed for the lift.

“Mister Davenport, you have the conn. Commander Ellyson will relieve you. I’ll be in my cabin.”

“Very well, Captain.”

Ron stood with a bit of uncertainty as Sharp left the compartment. He could only assume he was meant to take the command chair. The younger flight control spec manning Ford’s post could only shrug back when Ron glanced questioningly at him. Ron sat down slowly.

The view from the center of the bridge wasn’t so bad. This wasn’t the most modern ship, but she wasn’t a complete anachronism either. Sitting in the conn seemed to cover him in a sense of the ship’s power. From this seat, he had command; the ability to make a lot of difference.

The ensign didn’t have a lot of time to bask in the glory, however. He’d barely had time to discover the contour of the seat’s cushioning before the aft hatch opened to deposit the XO and Mister Ford back on the bridge.

Ford paused by the command chair while the exec toured the ship’s stations. The helmsman was still dripping some from his post-mission shower. He grinned a bit at the navigator.

“Been promoted?”

“I aspire to higher station.” Ron replied.

“Not today, navigator.” Ellyson told him as she stepped down next to the chair. “I have the conn.”

“I stand relieved, XO.”

Both pilots reclaimed their stations.

Ron kept looking back to the main viewer as he checked his status and sensor boards. He pondered the Beauvaunte and what had befallen her today. Some of the clues didn’t add up to him. The Bird of Prey would likely have sighted the fuel carrier when it had first arrived. But it had decided not to attack her. Why, then, attack her nearly a day later? Other things seemed off as well. He leaned in closer to Ford.

“Lieutenant, don’t the Klingons usually use gravitic mines?”

“Yup.”

“Thought so.”

“Don’t seem right, does it?”

“No…no it doesn’t.”

“Discussing strategy, gentlemen?” Asked the XO, who’d overheard a small snippet of their conversation.

Ronald turned his chair to face the conn.

“In the Academy, we went over every known Klingon weapons system, even stuff they used a hundred years ago and all the tactics we use against them. Nuclear space mines weren’t part of that arsenal.”

“And Klingon mines are faster.” Ford seconded.

Ellyson seemed to absorb their comments. Her own eyes drifted up to the central viewer. She turned the conn to face the comm station.

“Ensign Lania, order the transporter crew to bring in a sample of the mine debris. Full gamma ray protection. Have it taken to the Spectral Analysis Lab.”

“Aye, sir.”

Captain Sharp made his way down the corridors of C Deck, slowing as he neared his cabin hatch. He’d been reading the strategic reports on the sector since he’d stopped of at the officer’s ward to grab a cup of coffee and a sausage biscuit. He’d been surprised to find that the ward was serving breakfast. He’d lost track of time.

And now, he was equally surprised to find himself standing in front of the wrong cabin. He did a double take as he realized what hatch he’d nearly opened. Cabin C-1. Typically the commanding officer’s quarters. He’d ordered the compartment reconfigured and relabeled as VIP quartering, and remained in his own slightly smaller berth. His cabin, normally the XO’s room, was the same size as that of Ellyson and Bornet’s. He hadn’t been able to take over Captain Pratchett’s former berth.

What the hell brought me here?

Sharp stood there a moment, pondering. Habit usually took him straight home.

Trying to tell me something, Amanda?

Mentally shrugging, the captain kept on around the concentric corridor as though he’d meant to come this way. No one noticed. Most of the crew stood at ready stations, a step below full-on combat alert. He reached his cabin and entered.

His Sixth Sense had been buzzing all day. It always did when a battle was pending, but today it was more insistent. He knew that if he didn’t tread very carefully, he’d have hell to pay. Move slow, he thought. One step at a time. Examine everything.

The captain sat down at his desk and began to organize his files and his thoughts. Hunger took a second seat as he plied his mind to the tactical question at hand. The same questions his junior officers were even then asking had already arisen in his mind. The nuclear mines didn’t fit. Not that the Klingons didn’t possess the capacity to build nukes or the tenacity to use them if it suited them. They’d happily waste a planet if it meant keeping Starfleet off of it. But why use the inferior tracking and thrust systems? Klingon tech was better than that.

One of those mines should have hit us. At least one…

Had someone else laid them? Or had the Klingons just confiscated some miscellaneous weaponry somewhere and decided to leave them in wait? Was he making too much of the occurrence?

We’ll find out soon enough.

The computer’s replication of a boson’s whistle sounded at 0800, calling for the next watch to go on duty. Sharp barely heard it, only noted that a different relief crew would be manning the bridge when he returned. The emergency had kept his primary officers on watch most of the evening. The captain’s mind poured over the subtle facts about fleet and defense deployments in the area. His eyes caught on a report about a mining colony that was under development in the Challa starsystem. The mining installation there was only now under development and was not producing anything. But the core samples from the three central planets promised enormous turnout. These reports were no cause for concern.

What made him pause over the listing was the memory of a report from three months prior. The survey teams landing there had been delayed when filing for mining rights. They’d found signs of prior habitation. After some deliberation, the Federation Counsel had elected to grant mining rights to the team’s company as no obvious attempts had ever been made to mine that planet by whom ever was responsible for the prior signs of occupation.
Jon’s Sixth Sense centered on that system, calming as it often did when he’d found something significant. He compared the Challa system’s location against Starfleet’s deployment in the area. The area was wide open. Cleopatra was the closest starship available. The closest reinforcements were Captain Decker’s patrol force in Sector Five.

“Captain to the bridge!”

Sharp was on his feet and out the door before conscious thought realized what he was doing. His long cold breakfast remained almost untouched behind him. He entered the turbolift, considering how he could determine the threat to Challa and deal with this Bird of Prey.

The captain emerged onto the bridge, eyes locking on the main viewer. A dark shape had formed before them, slowly becoming substantial as it exited the nebula.

“We have him, Captain.” Commander Ellyson told him.

Sharp took the conn, hand closing on the intercom control.

“All hands, battlestations!”

The ship’s alarm called out its repetitive warning as the lighting dimmed down. The key bridge officers were quick to return to their post, rubbing sleep from their eyes in a couple of examples. All eyes locked on the bird-like ship taking shape out of the blue haze before them.

“All weapons on hot standby, active targeting set. Shields are up.” Ford reported.

“His weapons are hot. He’s getting a bead on us as well.” Ellyson added.

Sharp’s dark eyes fell to the wreck of the Beauvaunte between his ship and the Klingon warship. He could handle this situation in a variety of ways, ranging from aggressive to nearly passive. His face set into its stony mask as he snapped closed the command chair’s belt restraint.

“Engines ahead full. Target their engine core. Ensign Lania, order their surrender.”

“Aye, captain.” Came from several positions at once. The ship accelerated like a coiled spring, suddenly released. They passed over the crippled hulk of the Beauvaunte and aimed straight for the Bird of Prey.

“Twelve seconds to weapons range.” Davenport called out.

“Klingon vessel, this is the USS Cleopatra. You are ordered to surrender, respond.” Lania was repeating into subspace.

The distance shrank frighteningly fast.

“Phaser range!”

“Fire all weapons!”

They let the Klingon scout have it with the ship’s entire forward arsenal. Duel mounted phaser cannon spat repeating streams of plasma energy and torpedoes rocketed forth from the above-mounted launchers. The Bird of Prey began a faltering turn to starboard just as the first shots struck home. Its shields flared and arced under the assault, failing in several areas to leave glowing holes blasted out of the armored hull beneath.

The Cleo’s weapons fire tracked from right to left with the Klingon ship’s turn. The smaller warship shuddered and wobbled under repeated hits, then, laboriously, accelerated to get some distance between them and the Federation ship. Only then did the enemy return fire.

Mounted low, between the ship’s wing sections, a heavy disruptor turret revolved and targeted the Cleopatra. In bursts of three shots, the cannon let loose with continuous salvos of cold blue energy. The first hits slammed into the Starfleet ship, their impacts thundering through the bulkheads. The bridge officers bounced in their seats, held fast either by restraints or a good firm hold on their station.

“Hit to forward!” Came from Mister Fujiwara. “Shields holding!”

More hits came. Davenport and Ford continued to lash at the retreating Klingon vessel as it turned and juked under their assault. The Bird of Prey was making no preamble about its course. Pushing its impulse drive to its maximum, it was trying to make it back to the nebula. A trail of ionized gasses was already boiling forth from a rupture in the ship’s engine section.

A flash of crimson from the Klingon’s fantail drew Sharp’s eye a moment before impact. Three photon torpedoes struck the Cleopatra, driving her off her pursuit course. The detonations of antimatter warheads were deafening and nearly tore men from their seats about the control room. Ford wrestled with the flight controls, recovering from the lunge-like turn the ship had just been hurled into. Klingon torpedoes were nasty.

“Damage to C Deck, Section Three.” Reported one of the engineers. “Heavy hull fracturing, compartments 17 and 18 venting slowly to space.”

Commander Ellyson crossed the bridge to lean in on the damage control section of the engine station.

“Close off that section. All officer’s quarters are empty and there’s nothing we need there right now.”

“Helm, bring us around to 027 mark 005. Engines ahead flank.” Sharp called out, eyes locked on the tactical monitors. His course would let them cut off the Bird of Prey before it could make the nebula, if they were fast enough. “Open fire when we get back into phaser range.”

“Aye!”

The Cleo came about again, once more facing the retreating tail of their enemy. The Bird’s crew had contained the earlier gas leak from their engines, and they’d found an additional reserve of speed. The old Federation starship pushed ahead, engines beginning to howl in short order. The distance closed rapidly, but not nearly as quickly as moments before.

“Phaser range! Firing!” Shouted Ford with a bit too much glee.

Red bursts of phaser fire and azure torpedoes raced out after the far away Klingon ship. The ship seemingly ignored them, allowing the shots to impact on reinforced rear screens as her dark form began to blur amid the nebula gasses.
“Now getting some interference in our deflector shields.” Lieutenant Fujiwara reported. He was trying to reinforce the forward protection with the power reserves he had available. Power was stretched thin with the savage rate the pilots were claiming it for their weaponry. “Deflector efficiency falling to 80%”

If it was that bad for the Cleo, then it was twice as bad for the Bird of Prey, so close to the nebula. The Cleo kept up her pursuit, gaining steadily on the enemy vessel. A particular strike on the Bird’s portside wing blew out a plume of debris and quickly frozen atmosphere. When the illumination of the minor explosion faded, the Klingon warship faded from sight before them.

“Still tracking the Klingons, sir.” Ellyson told them, having returned to science. “She’s beginning evasive turns. Sensor resolution fading rapidly.”

Never chase an enemy who’s too eager to run, suddenly echoed in Sharp’s mind.

“All stop, Mister Ford. Ensign Lania, order all recon drones in this viscinity to close in on the Klingon ship’s trajectory.”

“Enemy moving out of phaser range.” Ford reported with an exasperated growl in his voice.

“Hold all fire.”

Ensign Lania went about her task of redirecting the closest recon probes. They responded well enough, being relatively shallow inside the charged particle fields before them.

“Drone moving in on Klingon ship’s projected course. Contact in approximately two minutes.”

The bridge’s tactical monitor showed three indicators closing on the close edge of the nebula. Sharp wondered if three drones would be enough to pin down the Bird of Prey amid all that interference. The bridge became silent as the officers sat waiting.

“Those weren’t Klingons, were they Cap’n?” Ford asked suddenly.

“No, Lieutenant, they weren’t.”

“Sure wasn’t the kind of response they taught us to expect in the Academy.” Davenport seconded.

The Klingon vessel hadn’t opened fire nearly soon enough, despite the fact that their disruptors far out-ranged Starfleet phasers. They’d been caught particularly unaware by Cleopatra’s first barrage. And once the battle had been joined, they’d been mostly concerned with breaking contact. The old Federation ship should have fared much worse from the encounter than she had.

“Drone 5 now detecting sporadic energy patterns…” The comm officer reported. “Sending recorded patterns to science.”

Ellyson leaned in as she analyzed the readings.

“Could be a ship under impulse. Order the drones to close on the contact.”

“Aye.”

The blinking icons on the tactical monitor altered their flight path yet again, closing on a singular point. Sharp eyed the position closely. He decided to close in on that area, get within gunnery range again.

“Helmsman, ahead one-half impulse power. Course 012 mark 355.”

“Aye, Cap’n.”

Again the ship closed in. The nebula now encompassed the entire screen of the main viewer. The tactical monitor began to show haze and static as the increasingly strong emissions of the clouds overcame the ship’s sensors. Sharp watched the slowly swirling clouds, searching for their target.

“Drone 5 has made a solid contact.” Lania said suddenly, voice elevated.

“Begin triangulating with the other drones!” Sharp ordered. He needed a precise position to target with the ship’s guns. Lania did as she was told. The other two drones were out of position and there was too much interference for any of their sensors to react quickly.

A sharp sounding alarm came from the comm station.

“The enemy is firing on Drone 5.” Lania reported, working faster.

“There!”

Sharp looked to where his navigator had abruptly pointed. Blue flashes of energy had lit up the gas clouds in a centralized area. Ford was already swinging the Cleo’s bow toward it.

“Ahead full! Target the source of those shots and fire!”

“He’s out of phaser range!” Said Ford.

“Firing torpedoes!” Davenport said next.

One by one in rapid succession, the antimatter charged missiles flashed out and faded into the swirling mist. Ron continued to fire, eyes glued to the target acquisition sensors, hoping for a ping. The flashes of far-away detonations began to reach them on the viewer, but only one for every two or so weapons deployed. The torpedo tracking systems were not fairing well amid the harsh interference in there.

And now the entire viewer was befuddled in the mire of nebular gasses. One by one, the sensor enhancements flared into static and ceased to function. They were left with little more than vague impressions from the more robust arrays and simple visual navigation. Static began to cloud the screen as even the outboard cameras were affected.

“Shields have failed.” Came Lieutenant Fujiwara’s voice, containing the cautious warning. Their hull was now totally unprotected.

“We’ve lost target!” Ford reported. For several seconds, the photon detonations had stopped coming. Ron removed his hand from the controls.

“Holding fire.”

The captain looked toward science.

“XO, full sweep. What do we have?”

Ellyson shook her head, working.

“Drone 5 is non-functional. I’m getting very little from the ship-board array, and only 38% efficiency from the deflector dish.”

“Debris ahead.” Came from Ford.

Sharp’s eyes returned to the viewer. Spinning chaotically in the gas ahead of them was a small field of twisted metal chunks. Charred and blackened, there was little one could make of them. But there was too much debris to account for only Drone 5’s destruction.

“Helm, come left 30 degrees,” The captain said, guessing. “Z-Plus 10 degrees. Slow to one-third impulse.”

“Coming about, aye, Cap’n.”

Shots struck the Cleopatra from portside when the old starship turned suddenly toward the Klingon vessel. The crew held fast to their stations and restraints against the tumult.

“Direct hits! Port quarter! B, C and D Decks!”

“Return fire, port phasers!”

Ford fought the turbulence, hands clinging to the weapons controls as they worked. The Cleo’s phasers lashed back out in the direction the enemy disruptor blasts were emanating. The resulting gouts of flame from impact revealed the dark hulled craft in a hellish silhouette.

“I have helm control,” came from Davenport. “Coming about!”

“Belay, Navigator!” The captain returned. “He’ll pass over us, reverse your turn to follow as he goes by!”

“Aye, reversing turn!”

The main viewer had acquired the enemy ship, and beheld them a dizzying visage as it tracked the Bird of Prey passing over their ship’s hull. Ford continued to beat at the enemy, adding the dorsal phaser array while the ship moved past. As the accelerating Klingon craft sped away, the Cleo fell into line behind it, firing her forward weapons.
“Pursuit course, Navigator! Maximum speed!”

The Comanche-Class ship leapt ahead, turning just as the ship ahead of them moved to evade. The Cleopatra out-accelerated the Bird of Prey, closed the distance rapidly. Ron fired a volley of short-ranged photons, tearing the engine section of the warship into ribbons. The Bird began to spin side-over-side, out of control.

Its return fire halted.

“Hold fire, Mister Ford.” Sharp unbelted and stood, watching flame and debris roil out of the warship’s interior. “Close to transporter range.”

Cleopatra closed in, coming up partially above the drifting blue-black hulled vessel. They were close enough now to make out its feather-like hull paneling. Ford matched speed and trajectory with the Bird of Prey, then killed the engines.

“Klingon ship’s engineering section is open to space.” Ellyson said. “I read minimal power from reserve sources.”

“Life signs?”

“Indeterminate, Captain.”

Sharp ran through his options. He could simply order the ship’s destruction. They were well within their rights. Many other commanders would and would not fret a night’s sleep over it. Jon Sharp’s instincts told him this was not the way to go. He needed answers that debris scans might not give him.

“Commander Ellyson, prepare a boarding party.”

A few things I made up for the Abramsverse have been left in this part. The Brid of Prey having a blue-black hull. Always thought that'd be kind of a cool BoP color. (That's colour for you, Andy :D) Gave the Klingons blue disruptors, imagining them as really fast firing, long, thin bolts.

Am also including my poorly hand-drawn rendition of the Cleo, since I got my scanner working again. The paper's been thru hell, so it was rumpled. I haven't altered the Abramsversing in the design, so some of it will definitely not fit TOS. Forgive.

--the Guv
"Jayne?"

"Yeah?"

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 10:52:38 pm »
Gave the Klingons blue disruptors, imagining them as really fast firing, long, thin bolts.

The Final Reflection had Klingon weapon discharges being blue, due to the original special effects in Errand of Mercy.  I say that's why I've said the Hiv'laposh's were blue on a couple of occasions, but the real reason is just cuz I like blue glowy laser beams.

Or to sum up:  Mind if I steal that? :smitten:

Offline Captain Sharp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2012, 04:03:57 pm »
Huh...

For THAT, you ask. Hmm.

Steal away. Just don't make em fat and lecherous blue glowy laser beams.

>:(

--Guv
"Jayne?"

"Yeah?"

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2012, 04:20:13 pm »
For THAT, you ask. Hmm.

Well, unlike the other thing you referenced, you wouldn't be looking over my shoulder throughout the entire writing of the story, as you were when I did the other. ;D

Bah!  There goes my entire plan!

Offline Scottish Andy

• Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2012, 10:06:03 am »
Good continuation. Guv. The battle was exciting and well done, and I liked the use of the recon drones. The tactics are very cool and I like seeing 3D space properly used.
Sharp has sharp instincts and they are serving him well so far in this mission.
I like how the crew are figuring things out and being smart about it. "This doesn't meet my expectations! Something's off..."
I am curious about what -- or who -- they'll find aboard the apparently captured or possibly sold-off Bird of Prey which, with the rotating ventral disruptor cannon turret, appears to be the 22nd-century version of the ship. This increases the possibilities.

The Brid of Prey having a blue-black hull. Always thought that'd be kind of a cool BoP color. (That's colour for you, Andy )

Aww, it is always nice when someone does something because they thought of you. Thaaaanks. :D
I always disliked the massively bright green Klingon ships. The Vorcha was just ridiculous. A society like that of the Klingons would have their ships painted with or made of low-observability colours/materials. Whu give your enemy a free shot? Especially when their ships are configured for frontal assault and their forward profile is almost flat as a pancake - harder to hit. Why ruin that with a visual cue? Bring on the TMP K't'inga colour scheme!

Gave the Klingons blue disruptors, imagining them as really fast firing, long, thin bolts.

As Larry said, that's from The Final Reflection, though I always wondered where that came from as I've only ever seen green disruptors from the Klingon ships in TOS; ref. 'Elaan of Troyius'.

Am also including my poorly hand-drawn rendition of the Cleo, since I got my scanner working again.

It's not poorly drawn.

I haven't altered the Abramsversing in the design, so some of it will definitely not fit TOS. Forgive.
Noted, deduced, and forgiven.

The Cleo looks very nice; in terms of approximate dimensions and performance she's on a par with my Kusanagi, though your scaled-down very nice early-TOS saucer is far better looking than my blocky Mikasa-class SFB frigate. The Cleo is graceful-looking because she is more delicately-proportioned.
She is increadibly overarmed for a ship her size and apparent power output (based on top speed), though I do see that they're just the standaard TMP paired saucer emitters, T/B. But what are "point defense cannon"? ADDs?
Are you a gun-bunny? :)
She's longer than my ship by a good 50 metres -- possibly due to the larger engine nacelles -- but has fewer decks. You may have more room than me. :)
Cleo is a very well balanced design. Far better than 99% of FASA and most of the blockier SFB ships like the F-FF and larger and smaller Klingon ships.

Looking forward to more

Offline Scottish Andy

• Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2012, 10:06:46 am »
Huh...

For THAT, you ask. Hmm.

>:(

--Guv

Knows what you are talking about and LOLs.

Offline Captain Sharp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2012, 09:22:11 pm »

The Cleo looks very nice; in terms of approximate dimensions and performance she's on a par with my Kusanagi, though your scaled-down very nice early-TOS saucer is far better looking than my blocky Mikasa-class SFB frigate. The Cleo is graceful-looking because she is more delicately-proportioned.
She is increadibly overarmed for a ship her size and apparent power output (based on top speed), though I do see that they're just the standaard TMP paired saucer emitters, T/B. But what are "point defense cannon"? ADDs?
Are you a gun-bunny? :)
She's longer than my ship by a good 50 metres -- possibly due to the larger engine nacelles -- but has fewer decks. You may have more room than me. :)
Cleo is a very well balanced design. Far better than 99% of FASA and most of the blockier SFB ships like the F-FF and larger and smaller Klingon ships.

Looking forward to more

Thank you for the adulation, sir.

As to the design, yeah, she's over gunned for the normal TOS concept (as far as we know, anyway). Hadn't changed that, and did not address it at all in the TOS conversion I am posting. I AM a gun-bunny. Give me a cheese ship any day. If I were to give her a TOS armament... Say like one bank for each lateral arc. 8 guns in banks of 2. Same torpedo armament. Same number of point defense.

My point defense guns: In the Kelvin's battle, I saw those blue glowy things shooting out and originally thought that's what they were. Point defense or AMDs. Phalanx cannon, CIWS, whatever. Only after a second watch did I realize those were just torps (tho, oddly...seemed the older Kelvin packed more launchers than the Enterprise). I decided to leave em in when doing the TOS conversion. NOT having point defense is...foolish.

I wanted a design that looked a lot like the NX. So I blatanly stole from it, and then added design ideas from the Miranda...then modified. I'm glad you think she's graceful and sleek, cause I was trying for just that, but still have an odd blockiness to her.

For her size, I approximate like a mother when I design a ship. The Cleo is no exception. My original concept had a traditional looking rollbar like the Miranda. Then I thought of the Nebula...which just has this...stick. I wanted a stick. So I gave the Cleo one and put her deflector on it. As far as room aboard...went out of my way to describe there really wasn't much. I picture her interior looking like a WWII aircraft carrier with slightly better tech.

Back to the story: I absolutely hate when the good guys are written as being dumbasses. They see a situation, you at home know exactly what's about to happen, and they go and put their foot into it. It takes so very little effort to avoid that, and still make your goodguys get into the mess, without making them look...dumb. Glad you picked up on their thought processes. Larry has helped me with that in years past. He would read my old stories and ask: "Why'd they do that?" The real reason was I wanted Scene X and never thought about how stupid the events were that led to it. Star Trek is full of examples of this, and many times, it can ruin my appreciation of a show/novel.

And I also think that the green paint scheme on Klingon ships is a poor idea. I think it looks ok for the BoP. For the Vor'cha... Love the ship, hate the paint. And yeah, blue disruptors were described in Final Reflection. Just read it a few months ago. OK book. Not a fan. Wasn't drawing from it, especially since I read it after writing this.

So, again, thank you!  :smitten:

Will post more soon.

--The Guv
"Jayne?"

"Yeah?"

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2012, 12:58:52 am »
One thing the Guv's designs always do that canon ones don't is cover every possible angle of approach to the ship.  There's no way to fly at the Cleo guns blazing without her being able to reply in kind.  The TOS Constitution model, on the other hand, is not so well-covered...horrible zone coverage based on the appearance of the ship...if not the dialogue in the series.  The NCC-1701 never had as many visible weapons as we heard officers describing, even if we're just talking about voices on the intercom.

Irked me, constantly.  Glad Enterprise at least let you see some of the previously mythical aft armament let fly, just to clear that up.

Actually thought the same thing as Rog about the Kelvin's torpedo launchers.  Given the presence of any kind of projectile weapon, I question the wisdom of any military organization that doesn't try to install weapons to shoot said projectile weapons down.

We have seen another case of what seemed to be point defense weapons in Star Trek, too;  first episode of Enterprise, the NX-01 engaged several Suliban ships with some kind of pulse weapon that would seem suited to such a function.

Offline Captain Sharp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2012, 08:15:15 am »
Since this page is equal parts story discussion and tech convo, got a question to pose:

I'm soon going to do some stories involving a Bird of Prey as the primary ship. The question I wanna pose to y'all is, Do y'all think the STIII Bird of Prey could/should have a shuttle bay.

The ENT era BoP had one. I thought she was a bit too small, but they had one in the final season 3-parter and it even had a space on the CGI model where the captured shuttle issued from. On the STIII BoP, there really is no said place, but then, there also isn't an easily labeled place for the feet or landing ramp to come down. We know she was large enough to house a cargo bay capable of handling 2 full grown humpback whales with a cargo transporter capable of transporting them. We've seen fair sized meal areas and several examples of not-crammed crew cabins.

Wondering your opinions on the matter (Tho, I'll prolly give her one anyway, knowing me).

--Guv
"Jayne?"

"Yeah?"

Offline Scottish Andy

• Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2012, 09:22:00 am »
Disregarding all evidence beyond STIII (namely, STIV), I believe that the STIII BoP should not have a shuttle bay. Going purely from stated and observed design ethics, he is a small, lightly-armed, 12-crew scout vessel with a cloak and is capable of planetary landing. He doesn’t need a shuttle, nor really have room for one. While PT boats have life-rafts, they don’t have motor boats. The STIII BoP as I see him is an SFB PF, not a frigate or “escort” or other type of “tin can”.
However, STIII does massively contradict itself in the size difference between the Merchantman and the BoP, where the latter looks like it’s bigger than the Excelsior (or makes the Merchantman the size of a shuttle) but then looks about the same length as the Grissom.

That said, with STIV in the game and its completely different bridge for what is supposedly the very same ship… this little PF becomes far more capable. It indeed seems to upsize to a frigate, with, as you say, a boarding ramp and cargo bay with transporter. Now, within this hull I believe it would be relatively easy to embark a shuttle NX- (and now Cleo-) style, and have it drop out of the floor behind the boarding ramp.

As long as you remain consistent in what you want your ship to be capable of, it’ll be fine. He’s either a 12-crew PT boat with no shuttle, or he’s a very lightly crewed frigate with cargo bays and a shuttlepod.

I cannot speak to the TNG details; I am not familiar enough with them.

Offline Scottish Andy

• Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2012, 09:35:09 am »
Back to the story: I absolutely hate when the good guys are written as being dumbasses. They see a situation, you at home know exactly what's about to happen, and they go and put their foot into it. It takes so very little effort to avoid that, and still make your goodguys get into the mess, without making them look...dumb.

Agreed; it’s so bad you can basically tell quite early which “predicament scenario” they are going to get into this week – and what they’ll have to do to get out of it. It definitely takes the enjoyment out of watching the show; makes it predictable and boring.

Glad you picked up on their thought processes. Larry has helped me with that in years past. He would read my old stories and ask: "Why'd they do that?" The real reason was I wanted Scene X and never thought about how stupid the events were that led to it. Star Trek is full of examples of this, and many times, it can ruin my appreciation of a show/novel.
This is why my stories now take a while to come out. I want the whole thing finished before I post any of it, because now, I go through it several times and find plot holes to fill in. Things have to be set up, foreshadowed, and/or explained as to why they are happening the way I want them to – and sometimes there is no good reason, which demands a rewrite!

My current challenge, which I just recently (in the last few months) realised and brought fully into my forebrain, is to not make my characters too smart. Or rather, experienced. You don’t go into the field with all this savvy. It takes time to gain this wisdom, yet my frigates and destroyers are crewed by younger officers. They’re not meant to know how to do all this stuff yet. It is after proving themselves here that they may qualify for cruiser commands.

But I digress. Again. And ramble. Again.  :D

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2012, 11:37:39 am »
I would place the Bird of Prey as a Frigate, a PT boat implies a short range patrol craft, and the Bird of Prey was obviously operating well away from its base.  Chekov described the ship as a scout, which is basically what Grissom was as well.  I agree that the Merchantman should have been much bigger, but I don't think the size is contradicted between the two movies. (bridge redesign not withstanding)  Scouts are designed to be long range survey vessels, now the Klingons may have a different opinion on what's needed for survey vessels (Weapons for example), but one thing that they do need is a cargo bay large enough to feed its 12 man crew for well over a year. (remembering that Klingons like their food live/fresh so they have to have food to feed their food)

As for a shuttlebay, I'd say no.  They have a transporter, and the ability to land should the transporter not be an option.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2012, 02:14:34 pm »
I would place the Bird of Prey as a Frigate, a PT boat implies a short range patrol craft, and the Bird of Prey was obviously operating well away from its base.  Chekov described the ship as a scout, which is basically what Grissom was as well.  I agree that the Merchantman should have been much bigger, but I don't think the size is contradicted between the two movies. (bridge redesign not withstanding)  Scouts are designed to be long range survey vessels, now the Klingons may have a different opinion on what's needed for survey vessels (Weapons for example), but one thing that they do need is a cargo bay large enough to feed its 12 man crew for well over a year. (remembering that Klingons like their food live/fresh so they have to have food to feed their food)

She's clearly meant for at least moderate range, extended operations, so I agree that she's bigger than what I'd call a PF or a gunboat.  She certainly doesn't fit the profile of an SFB PF.  I'd call it a corvette rather than a frigate, but that's splitting hairs.

I think that there's clearly room on board for a shuttle if the captain chose to carry one;  Star Trek IV clearly illustrated this.  But whether or not they regularly do, and the ease of launch and recovery operations for said shuttle, is harder to speculate on.

My take on the food issue, incidentally, is that while Klingons do prefer fresh or live food, whether or not to limit the ship's operational capability to carry it would be up to the CO.  Some ships might have a barnyard in the cargo bay.  Others might have a targ or two for celebratory purposes.  Long-range deep space exploration missions would likely have to forgo the luxury.

So in a B'rel-sized BoP, the captain might opt for a shuttle rather than a larger ration of live animals.   Or a cargo hold full of guns and liquor to trade to the natives to ease their induction into the Empire might forgo both.;)

Offline Captain Sharp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2012, 08:42:29 pm »
Now that we've split plenty of hairs (I still hate relating scifi ships to real worls classes), how bout some more story?

Chapter Seven

Lieutenant Ford again strapped on his armored EVA suit and readied for an off-ship adventure. This time, he was going with the expectation of being shot at. He’d kept the black phaser pistol from his earlier mission. It rested in its holster on his right hip. The rifle being pressed into his hands, though, was an completely standard issue, complete with silver barrel assembly.

The helmsman activated the rifle’s initiators, glowering as the entire front end of the reflected the overhead lights.

“Man…why don’t we just put on a damn neon sign on our backs? Does R&D ever really give any thought to what we have to do with this sh*t, or do they sit in a studio goin’: ‘Hey, this looks cool!’”

Ellyson wasn’t about to argue with him. She’d had similar thoughts about Starfleet R&D. She moved past him, toward the transporter section.

“Just shoot them before they shoot you, Mister Ford.”

Ford held back, waiting with the second team. The XO was leading six men to take over the bridge section of the Klingon warship. They each held a stun grenade in their hands, ready to throw even as the transport field released them.

Once her team had disembarked, Ford would lead the second team into the Klingon vessel’s lower holds. Traditionally, tactics called for a team to secure an enemy ship’s engineering section, and Ford would have been headed there. However, the Bird of Prey’s engineering bay was wrecked, vented to space. So he had to secure the areas around it and assume remote control of power systems as best he could.

As the transport cycle started, whisking Commander Ellyson and her party away and into danger, Ford strapped down his helmet and sneaked a look to his nearest companion, Ensign Lania. He’d need the Vulcan comm officer’s linguistics abilities to manage the alien ship’s computers. Unlike the XO, he couldn’t read Klingon.

The droning wail of the transporter died off far too soon, and Ford took a deep breath of recycled suit-air. He led his men onto the transport alcove and they assumed their defensive position, grenades at the ready.

“Ready, LT?” Asked the transport tech.

Not really, Ford thought.

“Energize.”

The cry of subspace field generators rose and took possession over him. He and his party were surrounded in a swirling field of spatial energy, then deposited in an alien environment. A new floor settled under foot. Silver bulkheads had been replaced by beige-paneled corridors. The team stood crouched, rifles butted to their shoulders and grenades standing by. No one stirred. Ford checked each of his men’s’ vectors, then looked down the hallway toward their objective.

“Clear!”

With the lieutenant in the lead, Lania taking the rear, the Starfleet team moved swiftly forward. Ford stashed his grenade, his finger now on the rifle’s trigger. His dark eyes were constantly on the alert for movement. They came to the first ladder way more quickly than he’d figured on. He passed beneath the expanded metal and angle iron construction, rifle angled up to cover the compartment above.

“Clear!”

The next man went up, rifle panning side to side. There came a bright flash, a shout of energy, and the crewman rolled back down the step-ladder. Ford ducked back around to his fallen men, dragging him out of the firing zone. Lania stepped in, tossing a grenade up the ladder well.

Ford checked the life support panel of his fallen man. Specialist Killroy was fine, the armor of his suit badly damaged, but no injury registered. The damage had not a single burn mark to it.

“You okay, Killroy?”

“Yeah…” A British accent grunted back. “They aren’t Klingons!”

With a wham, Lania’s grenade went off. Ford patted his boy on the shoulder and stood, leaving him to get up on his own. The lieutenant followed his anger and charged up the ladder’s flat steps. What he met at the top was a hailstorm of enemy fire.

Ford’s armor ablated a glancing hit to the shoulder that sent his own fire off target. He skittered back, near to tumbling back down the steps. Someone pressed close beside him, adding their fire to his. Two humanoid figures at the end of the corridor dropped, stun blasts taking their toll. Something at the back of the helmsman’s mind took note of what the enemy soldiers were wearing. The most certainly were not Klingons.

“Lieutenant, we must pull back to our covered position!” Lania’s voice rang in his helmet. Ford could only agree. He took a slow step back.

The enemy fire halted.

Both officers were breathing heavily when they reached the bottom of the ladder. Ford checked the damage to his armor chest piece. Again, there wasn’t any sign of burning to the alloy.

“Are they usin’ bullets?!”

“Yes. Cartridge firing automatic weapons.” Lania confirmed. Her sharp Vulcan mind would have caught such detail much faster than he would. Hell, he hadn’t even been looking to see what they were actually firing at him.

“And what the hell armor is that they’re wearing?”

“Chainmail.”

“What the hell!”

Lania spared a glance to the schematic on her tricorder.

“Sir, we may be able to flank if we move quickly enough.”

Ford picked three of his men to remain at the ladder well. He didn’t know what to expect along the way and so decided to lead the flanking maneuver himself. Lania led the way, the route listed on her tricorder committed to memory. Specialist Killroy brought up the rear.

The route led back the way they’d come. Ensign Lania popped open a maintenance hatch and revealed for them a narrow rung ladder leading up into the dark. Ford didn’t like the look of it. The way was tight. With their suits, they would not make it with their rifles.

“f*ck! Rifles down!”

Removing their armor would have taken too long. Ford would have preferred to have both, but they had little choice. Ford led the way up the ladder.

“First hatchway, then out.” Lania instructed him.

The lieutenant found the hatch with only slight difficulty. The catch mechanism was a booger, but he managed to unhook it. The hatch swung open, revealing a new hallway to him and his pointing phaser pistol. His team moved quickly down the corridor.

They found their enemy’s backs turned to them in complete surprise. The alien men were slowly advancing on the Starfleet position at the bottom of the ladder way, firing and creeping forward. Ford and his troop burst around the final bend in their route and opened fire, rapid shots felling enemy soldiers rapidly.

The helmsman noted with marked dismay, that the men he and Lania had dropped previously were already back on their feet. Their recovery rate was phenomenal. And now they were turning to respond to the new threat behind them.

“Reset to kill!”

Ford and his backup twisted the barrel assemblies of their weapons and opened fire once more. The red beams sliced cleanly through the aliens’ armor. They screamed back at the Starfleet party, turning and firing in desperation, bullets ricocheting all about. Killroy took another round in the chest, dropped with a curse. Two pinged off Ford’s leg and arm plates, forcing him to find cover within the recess of a hatchway.

From the bottom of the ladder way, two of the combat specs Ford had left behind ascended into view, their own rifles now spitting red death into the aliens’ backs. The third man did not appear. This gave Ford a cold sense of revelation. His vision flashed red. He began taking head-shots, slow methodical blasts as he stepped out from his cover and slowly walked in on the wildly firing enemy. He took two, reducing their skulls to smoldering masses of partially cauterized pulp as they dropped to the deck of the Klingon warship.

The twelve enemy soldiers now lay in unmoving heaps on the floor between the two groups of Starfleet personnel. Ford came to stand over them, breathing hard, but slow. His mouth was twisted into a cruel line within his helmet. He looked at the faces staring back in pained masks before him.

They were pale skinned, wore their hair in long, greasy tails behind them. Greasy beards were twisted into braids that looked as if they hadn’t been tended in weeks. They had enlarged bone structures framing their foreheads and cheeks. Otherwise, they might have passed for human. He counted three fingers and a thumb on their gloved hands.
The worn and patched chainmail armor made him chuckle. The soldier closest to him even wore an axe on his belt. Like medieval warriors that took to space flight, he mused.

“Secure, Lieutenant.” One of the combat specs reported, unnecessarily.

The lieutenant allowed his weapon to drop to his side.

“What happened to Juarez?”

“Took one to the faceplate.” Was the answer.

The armor faceplates of their suits were decent at ablating energy from a fair distance. They did little to stop close-in projectile impacts. Ford growled as an animal and glared back to Ensign Lania.

“Where to now, Ensign?”

“This way, Lieutenant.”

Lieutenant Fujiwara edged out into a position to fire on the crouched man behind the Klingon helm console. He’d had to lead his team through unfamiliar territory to a flanking position in the fore quarter of the bridge unit. The control section of the stolen Bird of Prey was packed to the brim with these aliens. Since beaming in to reinforce Commander Ellyson, his group had engaged and killed eight.

Right now, his target was thoroughly involved with the attempt at killing the Cleopatra’s XO. He was taking methodical, practiced bursts at the officer’s head whenever she tried to ease out for a shot back at him. What the alien didn’t seem to know was the human he was fighting was only there to distract him. Fujiwara and his partner had taken an indirect route to come in behind his position.

One shot, one kill. Fujiwara squeezed the trigger, pegging the alien soldier in the back. The hulking form sagged like a bag of meat. Gibson, his backup, fired off a sustained burst into the remaining enemy soldiers near the port bulkhead. They fell. A shot or two from Fujiwara made sure they wouldn’t get back up.

The security chief stood, rifle panning the compartment. Their objective had been to take the room intact. That meant no unnecessary fire, no grenades. He hated not being able to use grenades. Grenades made his day easier. Fujiwara loved grenades.

“Room secure, Commander.”

Ellyson stood and advanced. Her helmet came off, spilling red hair onto her armored shoulders. Fujiwara was glad the helmet her wore hid his smile for the moment. She might have misconstrued its purpose, thought him a kill-crazy whacko.

“Let’s figure out what’s in these computers, Mister Fujiwara. Figure out how they got here, where they came from and what they’re up to.”

“Aye.”

The XO plopped her helmet down on the face of a communication console as the security chief issued silent commands for the remaining men to cover the compartment. Neither his nor Ellyson’s team had suffered a casualty. Smith had had a near miss with a round striking the shoulder joint of his suit. The shot had penetrated, but not hit flesh. The specialist was even now applying a patch to the holes as she leaned against her assigned guard post.

Ellyson had her comm out.

“Ellyson to Cleopatra. Forward section secure. No casualties.”

“Cleopatra acknowledges. Mister Ford in the aft section reports secure, one casualty.” Sharp’s voice came back, scratchy and dim. “Be advised, possible alien bio-signatures still on scanners. You might not have the entire ship.”

“Understood, Captain. Ellyson out.” The XO replaced her communicator, then pointed Fujiwara to a nearby console. “Lieutenant, take that post. See if internal sensors can pin-point our lurking pests.”

“And if I find them?”

“Increase power to grav plating till they hit the deck and drop their air pressure till they stop squirming.”

Fujiwara removed his helmet to let the XO see his smile this time, and bent to work. He loved this job.

Ensign Lania was bent over the console outside the sealed-off engineering compartment. The door was stained to an almond color from the intense heat that had assailed it from the other side. The engine core was a wreck, but still generating a tiny amount of power by some miracle of Klingon engineering. Those bump-heads could keep their war machines running through the worst damage.

Ford watched the ensign for a bit, then turned back to his remaining men.

“You still good, Killroy?”

“Aye, LT.”

“Then stand guard at the far hatch, and leave it open.” The lieutenant looked to the remainder of his men. “You two get back down there and arrange for Juarez to beam back home. And grab our rifles on the way.”

“What if we take fire from stragglers, sir?”

“Then beam the hell back home right then, and report back to me when you’re safe. We have the room we wanted. You can reinforce us later if we need it. Go.”

The grunts moved out, covering their flanks with raised rifles as they moved swiftly along. Ford watched them go. Their questioning raised doubts in his order to them. But in the end, he still believed his call was the right one. He couldn’t leave their rifles laying about where the enemy could retrieve them.

Lania and Ford were alone now in the closed-in alcove accessing the engine room. This ship was small, all its spaced tight and enclosed. Easy to defend, really. Even armed only with pistol units, the lieutenant liked their odds of defending the space from attack from at least a small force of the alien enemy.

“Someone is attempting to reroute power from this terminal.” Lania stated suddenly. Ford whipped about to face the console she worked.

“To what and from where?”

“To the latter, I do not know.” The Vulcan told him. “To the former, the power is being routed to an electroplasma conduit one deck above us, one section forward.”

Ford produced his communicator to report to the XO.

“What’s up that way?” He asked, barely hearing the sizzle of energy building just behind him.

Lania turned, pistol raised halfway before stopping cold.

“The transporter room.”

Ford eased slowly about, communicator slowly dropping to his side, other hand tensing on the grip of his phaser. Three of the alien warriors stood stern faced behind them, short-barreled repeaters leveled on them. Chevis smirked, eyes almost bulging.

The center most of the three aliens motioned with his weapon.

“Gru’bah!”

“Bullsh*t.” Ford thought about leveling his weapon and firing. He could catch the leader, easy. But the other two would open fire. Their barrels were even now level with his face; his head being the only portion of him exposed. His helmet lay on the deck at his feet. Still, shooting this asshole was so tempting…

Ford held still. The alien motioned again, more violently.

“Gru’bah! Nosh!”

“I believe he would like us to disarm.” Lania intoned.

“I was getting’ that impression myself. Whacha think the chances are of us taking these guys by surprise?”

“Astoundingly low, I’m certain.”

“What, no percentiles? What kind of Vulcan are you?”

“Gru’bah!”

“Alright, fine!” Ford gently bent to the deck, laying his black phaser on the deck between himself and the alien. The leader watched him intently, gun barrel following him the whole way. Lania moved next to comply. The other two gunmen tensed, ready to blast her should she make the wrong movement.

Chevis straightened, looking the alien right in the eye.

“’Kay, Hoss…now what?”

“Le’brim!”

The gun dipped obviously to the armored breast casing Ford wore as part of his EVA suit. Without armor, he and Lania would truly be at the alien’s mercy. Shooting the leader seemed like a much less crazy idea. Too bad his gun lay on the deck next to his helmet and communicator.

“I suggest we comply for the moment, Lieutenant,” Came the tense voice of reason from behind Ford. “Our delay is causing them considerable consternation.”

“Yeah…”

When both weapons, communicators and armored vests lay on the deck and the Starfleet officers stood side by side, arms raised, the trio then shoved their prisoners away from the engineering console and down the corridor. Ford thought it rather ironic that they were now headed back the way they’d originally come and wondered why these guys were bothering to take them prisoner to begin with. Hostages, perhaps? Bargaining chips? Hijinks?

Ford was shoved into the lead, and the lead alien followed directly behind, shoving him along. Lania was a space behind that, flanked by the remaining two.

“Lieutenant, do you retain your Nighthawk?”

“Sevaa!” Shut up, likely.

“Yeah.”

“Sevaa!” Followed by a rougher shove. Ford intentionally stumbled, kneeling half down at the head of the column. The group bunched, accordion-like in the tight corridor due to Ford’s sudden halt. His hand found the Nighthawk. Most officers didn’t carry one. He loved his. He was glad it’s grip looked like a part of his suit’s leg piece…

The alien leader began to snarl some kind of rebuke. He was cut off before pronouncing an intelligible word, though, by a sudden gasp and gurgle from one of the men behind them. He shoved at Ford, knocking him almost to the floor and turned, gun rising to fire.

Ford was on him then, hopping up quietly and stabbing his combat knife down into the back of the alien’s neck. The sharp steel scraped off thick bones, wedged in something hard. Ford yanked it down like pulling down a lever, jetting the corridor bulkhead with a slick of blood. The leader’s muscles went slack, his bulk sagged straight down. The lieutenant ripped his knife free and stepped away.

Before him now was a swirling flurry of motion. The nearest alien to him was clutching his torn open throat and neck, trying to will the blood to stop pouring down his chainmail. His right arm hung at a severe angle toward the deck, gun slipping uselessly from his grip as his knees buckled. Behind this man, Lania was taking her fight to the last viable target.

The Vulcan comm officer had possession of the alien soldiers gun barrel, holding it to her left even as the man squeezed off random bursts with it. Her hand had to be scalding, but she held on, keeping the weapon pointed away from both her and Ford.

The alien backed away haggardly, his left hand up, fending off repeated attempts at his throat, eyes, armpit and collar line as Lania pushed him on. Finally, the alien abandoned his submachine gun. Lania let it fall. The soldier backpedaled and hopped in the reverse, gaining distance from the slim figure of retribution. He drew his short hatchet from his belt and raised it high.

Ford knelt next to Lania’s first victim, the man gurgling his last, and snatched up the machine pistol from his fading grip. A quick glance showed it to be like any one of a thousand similar weapons. Pull-bolt, banana clip, gas operated. He looked back up, gauging how much assistance Lania really needed from him. He was impressed by the show.
The alien put up a good fight. But his strength was no match for the Vulcan’s quickness and the savage, lightning thrusts of her blade. Her strength was such that she was able to penetrate the rings of his armor with each contact, leaving nearly round blotched of gore and broken links as she went. His hatchet swung and whirled, high left to low right and back again to the opposite. He was skilled. Chevis knew that he’d have been hard-pressed to fight the man. But Lania showed no such problem. She ducked in rhythm with her own strikes and steps in on the man’s defensive circle, avoiding each of his attempts. Had he ever connected, Lania would likely have been dead or crippled.

He never touched her.

A downward slash to the alien soldier’s wrist separated him from his axe. He staggered back, clutching his open wrist in pain. Lania kicked him and he tumbled over the armor and helmets they’d left piled up behind minutes earlier. He tried to get himself back on his feet quickly, using his bleeding hand to prop himself up. His other hand fumbled for his own dagger.

Lania’s knife stabbed down through his skull. Both his blue eyes rolled up as if to look at the grip protruding from his head. He lolled back, limp as a noodle.

Ford covered the rear position and watched Lania’s way as she stood still, head cocked to the side as she watched the alien’s foot jerk. The lieutenant felt the last two minutes sinking into his mind. Fear, shock and revulsion all fought for dominance. They were accompanied with a sick sense of the ironic. He found himself smirking.

“So…shooting them all in the face was too dangerous…” He said, now standing beside her. She wiped bloody hands down the front of her thigh-pieces. Her thin, crimson soaked undershirt clinged to the contours of her heaving chest. The helmsman’s pulse suddenly began to match hers. “But stabbing them up close and personal with a knife…yeah. Much safer.”

Lania did not look at him. She bent to retrieve her Nighthawk service knife with a wet popping of bone. “Our previous positioning was to our disadvantage.”

She sheathed the blade, stood. Went back to the console with which she’d been working. Ford followed, retrieving their phasers and handing hers back.

“I don’t know whether to run the hell away from ya right now…or try and f*ck ya.”

The Vulcan officer’s left brow shot up sharply.

“One of those options would not be logical given the current stimuli.”

Ford paused.

“Which one?”

“No further transporter activity detected.”

Commander Ellyson nodded without responding, her back remaining to Lieutenant Fujiwara. She almost had what she needed. The main computer was almost wiped completely clean of information. Standard Klingon defense programming was prone to deleting entire memory banks once the AI became convinced it was being invaded. This ship’s thieves had unwittingly been wrecking their own chances of operating the Bird of Prey. It explained a lot about their lacking combat abilities.

The log and the tactical recorder were blank. If there was a backup system, she had no idea of how to access it. The main navigational record bank was also purged. She couldn’t tell from where this ship or its invaders had originated.
However, the alien crew had to have had some sort of nav reference to fly this ship at warp. And she was close to decoding it. The alien’s own encrypt was far simpler than the Imperial version.

At a final press of a crimson-lit touch pad, the viewer before her began to spit out a three dimensional interstellar grid. Her trained eye picked out the various familiar navigational waypoints. She looked over the long list of places the ship had gone to. One place had been heavily visited in the last week.

“Team Two reports they contacted another alien force that attempted to ambush them.” Fujiwara interrupted her reverie again, snapping the science officer back to reality. “That was the source of the transporter activity.”

Ellyson went about recording the nav data to her tricorder.

“They have any difficulty?”

“Ford says the aliens were more interested in a strip tease than aggression.”

“Don’t think we’ll be adding that to the official report.”

“No, sir. He says Klingon engine room is secured, main systems off line, critical systems switching to remote power sources. They’re ready to return to the ship.”

“Understood. Have them stand by.”

“How we coming on our end?”

Ellyson shut down her tricorder.

“We’re done. I’ve got their entire navigational track for the last month. If they have a fleet or another ship nearby, we’ll know where to find it.”

The console beside the commander emitted a loud, shill whine. The tonal lasted but a second, but sounded quite plaintive. She snapped her eyes back to the Klingon displays. What the hell…

“What was that?” Came from Fujiwara. The security chief was replacing his vac helmet, rifle at the ready.
Ellyson shook her head. Slinging her tricorder, she plied her hands back to the controls, activating the comm records.

She had a suspicion.

“I don’t know. There was no visual display for that alarm. But it sounded urgent.”

“I don’t like urgent sounding and unexplained alarms… on Klingon warships.”

The XO could only agree with his sentiment. She opened up the emergency comm control interface, eyes narrowing. She had it. She read it intently. Her communicator whipped off her belt when she finished.

“Ellyson to Cleopatra.”

“Cleo, go ahead, XO.” Replied Sharp. The captain sounded somewhat distracted. Accompanying his voice were several background voices.

“Captain, I’ve recovered the aliens’ nav data. And we may have a new problem. This ship has been transmitting an emergency beacon every two hours for the last six days.”

“Yes, we just picked up the last one.”

“Sir, the nebula would dampen any long range reception, but this ship has been outside the cloud many times in that period. The Klingons have got to be narrowing in on her position…”

“You might be right, XO.” Sharp replied, sounding more focussed. “In fact, I think they’re quite close finding their lost ship.”

There we go. Some more combat, some more hijinks, some more of Ford griping about his weapons. The rifles I imagined for the Abramsverse would have been just as flashy, if not more so, than the pistols.

Hope y'all enjoy despite any and all grammatical mistooks. Lemme know what y'all think.

--Guv
"Jayne?"

"Yeah?"