Topic: USS Cleopatra  (Read 15710 times)

Offline Captain Sharp

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • R. Lee Ermy for Prez, 2016!
USS Cleopatra
« on: December 06, 2011, 10:52:58 pm »
Hi all! Here's the first on tap.

I hadn't written much for a while till the new Trek came out in 09. The Abramsverse is not traditional Trek, but it got the blood pumping anyway.

Originally, this story was written in that universe. I've since modified it to fit in the Geneverse and am using it as 'back story' for the curent batch of Captain Sharp stories I've laid down. I decided to post this version because it is the most editted (don't get your hopes up Andy) and I've taken certain stuff out, added other things.

Hope ya'll like it.

Star Trek
Cleopatra
Book One
Chapter One

2256 AD

Commander Jonathan Sharp sat in a slightly too small chair in the reception area of Star Fleet Command’s flag offices. He felt forlorn, lost and listless. Only days ago, his ship had been in battle. A fierce battle, and a costly one.
His ship was in pieces, his captain dead. Three Klingon Raptors had cut the USS Cleopatra to ribbons in orbit of the Terra Spartan Colony. The debates on the colony’s proximity to the Klingon border had devolved into open conflict. The colony had been saved, but his ship had paid a dear price. The captain and half the crew were dead.

Now Sharp sat waiting outside the office of Admiral James Minton, the flag officer in command of the Cleopatra’s patrol sector. The receptionist had called ahead to inform the admiral of his presence, and now she gave the commander a nod to proceed on inside. The door whispered open and closed behind him.

The admiral rose to shake Sharp’s broad hand. The flag officer was a head, nearly two, shorter than the commander. Where Sharp had a light mocha complexion, the admiral was pasty white, his hair grizzled and gray. He wore small spectacles that made him look bookish when mixed with his gray and white flag uniform.

“Sharp. Sorry about your former CO. Amanda was a good officer and a stellar captain.”

“She deserved better, but died fighting. At least it was quick.”

The admiral sat, inviting Sharp to do likewise. Both settled into a brief silence in remembrance. Minton pointed to the commander’s tunic.

“You’re a bit out of uniform.”

Sharp glanced down to the blue duty tunic that was stretched over his muscles.

“Sir?”

“You’ll need command gold again.” The admiral opened a drawer and retrieved a small black box, tossing it to the commander. “And those.”

Sharp had an idea about the contents of the box. He opened it to reveal a small medallion meant for his dress uniform. The square pin bore the two full waves and a dash mark of a full ranked captain. Sharp could barely manage a grim, thin lip smile.

“I can’t offer the full regalia of a well-planned promotion, but your actions during the attack showed all the right stuff. You were licked, but you kept going. I watched your flight recorder. I really believe you were going to ram that last ship.”

Sharp snapped the plastic container closed.

“You’re damn right I was.”

Minton stood and turned to look out his bay window. He had a narrow view of the Academy Parade Grounds. The newest cadre of cadets were out there now, running in platoons and barking out Starfleet mottoes. Normally it brought on feelings of pride. Such emotions had been shocked out of the two men in that office for the time being.

“And sadly, I can’t allow you much rest. And I don’t have a whole lot of good news to pass around.” The admiral began, his back still to the newly minted captain. “We’re damn short on ships. The Klingons have our fleet tied up securing the border zone. Every spare ship I have is guarding Federation colonies and bases. We’ve had to reinforce the entire Neutral Zone, from the Triangle to the Borderlands. So every other sector is going to be thinner.

“I know I promised you the Hood. I’m sorry, but that’s impossible now. She was wrecked in an attack, so badly torn up that we’ll have to rebuild her in the Vulcan system rather than towing her home. That leaves you with the Cleopatra—“

“We were headed home to decommission the Cleo.”

Minton turned back to peg the captain with a sober look.

“I know. But even if she is fifty years old, she’s going to have to soldier on a little while longer. I’ve ordered her towed to the Antares Fleet Yards, Slot 5. She begins refit and repair next week. You’ll oversee her rebuild, all the details are in your hands. Make sure she’s ready and able to do what we’ll be asking of her. You can have your pick of the crew candidates. I’ll make sure you get the best officers. I want the Cleo back out there inside four months.”

Sharp bristled, but he said nothing. The Cleo had been falling apart long before she’d been hit with 16 Klingon missiles. What he said was: “Aye, aye, sir.”

That was just the kind of man Sharp was.

Chapter Two

“Ensign Ford, how are my weapons upgrades?”

The bald shaven ensign at the helm console looked back at his captain as the man shot across the bridge in pursuit of his myriad of duties. “Good, Cap’n. The array should be able to handle the new Type J-53 phasers and Starfleet Bureau of Ordnance has graciously allotted us 50 of the Mark III photons. With those new systems we can confidently handle any retired garbage scow the Klingons dare hurl into our path.”

Sharp refrained from even smirking at the remark as he paused to check readings at the new science station. The entire bridge reeked of new paint and conduit sealer.

“Come now, Mister Ford. I might think you didn’t have every confidence in our fine ship.”

Ford’s brow’s bobbled up and down.

“I think I mentioned how we’d confidently handle any garbage scow.”

Sharp refused to continue with his helmsman’s jibes. He knew that Ford and most of the crew were fiercely protective of the Cleo. No one could make fun of her but them. But as captain, there was only so much joking he was going to participate in. His thick finger found an intercom control.

“Engine room.”

“Bornet.” Came the gruff, growling, Tellarite response.

“Mister Bornet, how are my coil upgrades coming?”

“Depends. How’s your search for new Comanche-Class warp engines coming along?”

“About as well as your warp upgrades. The words ‘new’ and ‘Comanche-Class’ haven’t gone together in a sentence for 30 years.”

There came a hoarse laugh.

“Got that right. I might be able to squeeze another tenth of a warp factor out of her top end, but we’ll be shoveling coal to do it.”

Sharp nodded with some satisfaction. He’d been allowed to keep any of the previous officers and enlisted men he’d wanted to fill out his compliment and get his ship back together. He’d also managed to finagle some good talent from nearby starbases and training facilities. While Starfleet was currently short of ships, manpower was not an issue. As a result, he had some of the best men and women in the service.

“I’ll make sure you get plenty of shovels. Bridge out.”

Sharp paused to look about the command compartment. The old, scratched consoles had gotten a facelift in most places. Many of them had been all but destroyed by the Klingon’s weapon fire. The bulkheads and piping had all been recoated in gray paint. He’d ordered the rails to be redone in metallic red, rather than the old blue and black. The diamond plate dais beneath the conn matched the railing. The arch-designed helm console was new. The older controls had finally been upgraded to modern standards. Save for its small size, the bridge almost looked like it belonged to a brand new fleet ship, not a 50-year-old relic. Sharp allowed himself a bit of a smile.

They were almost ready to depart for their first mission. Just a few more crew replacements and odds and ends. His dark eyes found one of those lacking details. Ford was still wearing the red tunic of the services division. He stepped down to the newly installed command chair and activated the comm there.

“Yeoman Fox. Bring those new uniform tops to the bridge, please.”

“Aye, sir.”

Another turbolift filled with officers and technicians arrived on the bridge. Among the persons filling the command compartment was the new navigator. Sharp noted that the ensign held in his big hand a silver mug of coffee. The captain watched without comment as the tall man, who appeared to be in his late twenties or early thirties, stepped up to his side of the piloting station and gave it a once over. Nodding with satisfaction, he popped open a cup holder from under the console, a device Sharp hadn’t realized the helm had. To the left, Ford glanced under his own side with equal surprise.

“I’ll be damned,” Ford muttered, finding a cup holder there too.

The ensign turned to face the senior officer.

“Captain. Ensign Ron Davenport, reporting for duty.”

Sharp nodded, giving the man to leave to relax from attention.

“You tend to report aboard every ship with coffee in hand, ensign?”

“So far. This ship’s my first assignment, though.”

Sharp considered whether he liked the ensign’s assumed leisure on his bridge. He decided he didn’t have any complaints about his officers having coffee at their stations. They were spill proof. And after all, they had those nifty cup holders.

“Next time, make sure to bring your captain some. Black, two sugars.”

Ronald smiled and nodded.

“Will do, Captain.”

“Take your station, Mister Davenport.”

Ron moved to sit. Beside him, Ensign Ford gave the much taller man a prolonged once over. Davenport noticed and returned the gaze with a steady, unintimidated curiosity.

“Yes, ensign?”

“You gotta be the oldest ensign I ever seen, Mister Davenport.”

Ron seemed to consider how to respond to that.

“Well…you’re the ugliest helmsman I’ve ever seen. Or are you an engineer, being that you’re wearing red?”

Ford grinned widely. He offered a handshake.

“Chevis Ford. Friends call me Chevy.”

“Chevy? As in the car?”

Ford’s eyes rolled.

“Yeah. Lots of laughs there.”

The helmsman looked as if he were about to say more, but the next person to emerge from the elevator drew his attention. Ron followed his gaze to the leggy figure stepping down to the command chair’s platform. The yeoman was a busty, slim brunette with straight hair reaching to mid-buttocks. Both pilots found themselves grinning.

Yeoman Fox ignored them, but enjoyed the conversation-stopping attention. She carried the tunics she’d gotten from the CO’s cabin to Sharp.

“Here are the uniforms you had made, sir.”

Sharp took them and checked the topmost. This one he tossed to Ford. Chevis caught the gold colored top and unfolded it.

“That one’s yours, helmsman.”

Ford held up one sleeve and looked up to the captain with one brow cocked. The sleeve bore a line of dashes, the notation belonging to a lieutenant (junior grade). “You sure this’n’s mine, Cap’n?”

“It is, Lieutenant. Why? Doesn’t it fit?”

“I’m sure it fits just fine, sir.”

“Captain.” Called out a new voice. The communications technician manning comms had turned his seat around to face the center of the bridge. “I’m copying transmission from Starfleet. Incoming orders.”

Sharp abandoned the command chair and stepped up beside the tech. Both went through the task of security authorization and authentication of the transmission. When the orders checked out as legitimate, they printed up onto a small, blue lit screen.

To: Sharp, Captain Jonathan K, Cmding USS Cleopatra

Important! At 0347 hours, Stardate: 931.7, Federation fuel carrier SS Beauvaunte observed confirmed Klingon warship on maneuvers in Section 1557-Beta of the Mutara Nebula. Transmitted images of a D-4 Class Bird of Prey confirm identification. Hostile vessel was seen to enter nebula cloud at 0340 hours, on heading 344 mark 115.

Objective: USS Cleopatra is to launch immediately and proceed at best possible speed to Section 1157-Beta of the Mutara Nebula and search for the Klingon vessel reported. If found, the ship is to be ordered to return to Klingon territory. All necessary force is hereby authorized at your discretion. It is considered possible that Klingon forces may be staging an operation against the Federation or neighboring entities, using the nebula sector as a launching point.  If a superior force is detected, you are to break contact immediately. Report to base.

Additional: SS Beauvaunte is expected to still be operating in the area. Provide any necessary assistance and order her to evacuate the area.

Condition and capacities of USS Cleopatra are understood. You are to proceed with all due caution. Good hunting.

Captain Sharp frowned at the wording of the orders before him. He knew that Starfleet was hedging their bets by not sending a more capable ship to complete this mission. If the Klingons were actually planning a large-scale operation in the Mutara Sector, then Starfleet would lose little with the destruction of the Cleo. Losing a larger, newer and more powerful starship was out of the question at the moment. If it turned out to be just the one Bird of Prey, Starfleet was reasonably certain Sharp could handle himself.

I suppose this is the treatment we can expect, he thought.

The Cleopatra had battled many such ships in the past, with much less advanced weaponry than she currently mounted. Having followed this line of thought to its conclusion, the captain nodded once and turned to his expectant throng of officers.

“We launch in six hours, people. I want every department and system operational by then. Yeoman Fox, have my last crewmen arrived?”

Fox shook her head.

“Not yet, sir. Doc Goodnight’s shuttle is en route, ETA within the hour. We have not received confirmation on the new comm officer. We’re not even sure she’s staying in Starfleet.”

Sharp considered that. His choice of prospective candidates for comm had been a young Vulcan ensign, named Lania. The captain knew she had a pressing personal issue back home that might cause her to leave Starfleet. He could launch without her, but hated being a key position short for a mission.

“Mister Ford. Take a shuttle to the Academy. Get Ensign Lania’s answer directly and transport her aboard if her answer is still yes.”

“Aye, sir.”

Ford rose and headed for the lift. Sharp turned his mind to his next most pressing detail. He was still short an executive officer. He’d been through the list of PXOs time and time again. There were only a few commanders and lieutenant commanders in line for a billet. Most of them were being offered several options at once, and therein lay his real problem. They had a choice. None of them wanted to choose a beaten down old Comanche-Class starship over a more modern vessel.

Sharp had to have an XO for this mission. He glanced over the options he had aboard. He could promote one of his already assigned officers, even if he only did so on a temporary basis. But to do so would either leave him short yet another key position or double the workload of said officer. He wanted to avoid that option.

“Ensign Davenport, you have the conn. Continue to coordinate with yard control and get everything squared away for launch. I’ll be in my cabin if you need me.”

“Aye, aye, Captain.”

There's the first bits. Those of you who note everything (Andy) will have picked up on the date and the uniforms used. I have given 'The Cage' pilot uni's the deep six for my stories. Yes, there are red shirts on my ship in the 50's.

Another thing I decided on for this run of stories is that these are not linked to my previous Ford stories in terms of timeline, or what have you. If you like, these are in a separate universe.

Anyway, hope y'all like these.

--Guv
"Jayne?"

"Yeah?"

"You wanna tell me why there's a statue of you here lookin' like I owe him something?"

"Wishin' I could, Captain. "

Offline Grim Reaper

• The 4th Horseman, the Lord of Death
  • Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
Re: USS Cleopatra
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 10:16:53 am »
lot's of familiar faces, nice to have them back. I do wonder what the impact of the Abramsverse will be, but hey, if it gets you writing again anything is good.
Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 01:11:27 pm »
Good stuff, Guv. Engaging as always. I love your writing style, and on your ships "informal" is just not doing the crew relations justice. :D

The uniforms, stardates, NCC numbers, astronomical distances... even the grammar. I'm letting it all go for you. Like ST2009 and Sherlock Holmes, I'm enjoying them for what they are and not for slavish adherence to what "should" be. I think it killed your joy of writing there, and even if it did only slightly I hate having done that. I'll save that for myself and review yours based on content only. So fret naught. :)

Looking at this story beginning, I see how you get your ship ready for launch: two sections, not four chapters.  I'll take notes. :D

As Grim said, it is nice seeing all these familiar people again, and I'm looking forward to meeting the fresh faces.

Do you have an image of the Comanche class? The only schematic I can find is a 3-nacelled Miranda.

You do love your cupholders, you Suh'thu'nrs. Funnily enough, it put into mind a prpoer Trek version in my head: magnatomic bonding pads holding the bottom of the cup to a completely flat surface. Guaranteed to allow never so much as cup-quiver unless the pad itself is wrecked! :D

Looking forward to more. Of the Yeoman. :D
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 09:52:10 pm »
Looking forward to more. Of the Yeoman. :D

Here you go.  She's played by 1998 Playboy Playmate Tiffany Taylor and has been since her creation in roughly that same year. ;)

Yet another result of an unholy union between me and the Guv.

As to the story:  The Guv knows my feelings on it, already, as he threatened me with torture if I didn't provide a patented 'big-ass review' for him.  So I did after some waterboarding, and will not repeat myself as he knows I liked it, why, and any little tidbits I criticized already.

However, as the story has changed since I read it, no longer being part of the Abramsverse, I will add that the changes back to the standard universe seem pretty seamless, enough that they were difficult to notice without referring back to my copy of the old one.  Pace is still quick, too, much like the new movie.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Captain Sharp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 03:31:02 pm »
To Grim:
Yes, they are familiar, aren't they? When I started writing again, I had the old headache of deciding between using an old crew or making up a new one. I stuck on a compromise. Why not make up a new crew of old faces? So I created a roster of some of my favorites and put them on the same ship at a time when they didn't originally know each other.

As to the effect of the Abramsverse, only a little of it is left in this version of the story. I was just glad it only took me a little effort to wipe it from this version.

To Andy:
Thanks for taking it easy on me.  ;)

Yes, my crew relation for this gang are very informal. I took my inspiration from shows like Firefly and Stargate (SG-1 and Atlantis) and found justification for it in a few novels based on 4-stacker WWI destroyers operating in the Pacific Squadron in both Wars. The first such book was 'Delilah', set in the First World War (and yes, still in the Pacific, based out of Manila) and the other two being Taylor Anderson's Destroyermen Series 'Into the Storm' and 'Crusade'. The latter books are exceptional, especially considering their ridiculous sounding premise. To the point, The captain and XO in each of these examples were everything you expected of officers. Pride, professionalism, routine. Their crews were roudy and full of personality.
The Cleo is a tired, over worked old beast that should have been relegated to mothballs long ago, but is still filling the gap in backwater, less important stations (ala, BSG and the real life examples of those old 4-stackers). Her crew, therefor is not the cream of the normal crop.
However, I find that I use the same sort of interaction in most of my current stuff. Ford's Endeavour crew was led by a man who hated spit and polish conformity. Were it not for his friendship with Admiral Sharp, he'd have never received such a command, I believe.

I do indeed have a hand-drawn pic of my Comanche-Class, but I'm thinking of redesigning it to more fit in the correct time frame. For a quickie mental image, picture the NX saucer with all the warp drive elements and deflector dish removed. She has nacelles that are a cross between NX and Conny types, mounted where they are on a Miranda. The Deflector is where the Miranda's torp launcher would be, but instead of a 'rollbar' design, I just stabbed a 'stick' on the back of the saucer to hold it aloft, similar to a skinny version of a Conny's neck. She has an NX style shuttle bay, but holds more craft in the style of Abram's shuttlebay, though much more compact. I need to look at my current design again and finaggle with it some. But that's the jist.

Cupholders... That whole bit was mostly a joke about the Abrams bridge in ST2009. It looked like some kind of futuristic coffee shop and was staffed by very pretty boytoys straight out of a Gap magazine. The cupholders are mentioned a couple of times, but aren't meant to be taken seriously. I had a series of other jokes about the new Enterprise, but those are excised from this version.

And I believe there is more Fox to come. Her last name is also a joke, as she is a fox. Boi-oi-oi-oing!

To Larry:
Let's not be gushin on about our union, now.  :huh: Follk might get funny idears.  :smitten:

--Guv
"Jayne?"

"Yeah?"

"You wanna tell me why there's a statue of you here lookin' like I owe him something?"

Offline Scottish Andy

• Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 03:10:29 pm »
There is perhaps more?

Offline Captain Sharp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 11:28:35 pm »
Sorry guys, got distracted.
Here's CH 3. In this I introduce my XO. Had an odd idea for a character after a Playboy fiasco with an Air Force officer some years back (if I even remember the incident correctly) and wondered how it might play out in Trek. Hope y'all enjoy.

Chapter Three

Shuttle 8 from NCC-313 slowed as it entered the denser traffic patterns above San Francisco. The line of approaching aircraft and orbital carriers snaked through the mid-altitude regions and headed over the Golden Gate Bridge.
Lieutenant Ford peered down through the darkness and fog and rain that assailed his ship to the big, red bridge. It was a nearly ancient landmark, and known galaxy-wide as a symbol of Starfleet Command and the Academy. It remained an awesome sight.

The short remainder of his flight took another three minutes. He descended on the landing tarmac near the test flight hangers and left his craft with an able specialist; one of the many who had trained him a couple years ago.
The lieutenant made his way across the campus complex, deftly shooting through wads of junior classmen on their way to class in the dreary rain. Finally he emerged into the dormitory quadrant. The dormitory superintendent, though surprised at Ford’s inquiries and purpose, was never the less cooperative and directed him to the third floor of the senior class females’ dorm.

The Lieutenant (junior grade) stripes on his sleeves ensured the security officers about that Ford’s intentions in an all-female building were likely honorable. He found the right room number and noted that the door was locked open. A quick glance to the space immediately beside the doorway showed him a small pile of packed duffels and small suitcases. At least one of the room’s occupants was prepared to leave. He moved to enter, hand raised to knock.
Ford halted, hand in the air, as he spotted the lone female form sitting before an activated comm screen. A stern Vulcan face stared back at the lady with no friendliness and little civility. At the sound of their dark tones, Ford abandoned the idea of announcing himself and stepped back out of sight.

“St’vaan, my answer remains negative.”

“You are abandoning your responsibilities to your people. It is your duty to carry out our traditions. By this do we ensure our racial heritage remains intact.”

“I will still be assisting in that effort while performing my duties in Starfleet. I will be ensuring the safety of our homeworld and colonies—“

“You forget your biological duties. You were betrothed to me and your time is near.”

“I refused you marriage two years ago. I will not take back that decision simply to breed. This is my final answer.”

The Vulcan suitor obviously was not going to let the matter lie.
“We will speak again soon. You are remaining in San Francisco?”

“Yes.”

“Live long and—“

The woman cut him off, killing the comm channel. Ford waited a few seconds and stepped back to the doorway. The ensign was getting up from her chair.

You are waiting for me, Lieutenant?”

Ford blinked. Damn Vulcan hearing.

“I’m Ford, from the Cleopatra.”

It was her turn to blink.

“Captain Sharp sent you?”

“The Cleo just received orders. We leave in four hours. Cap’n wants your answer.” Her last words to that St’vaan character echoed back through Ford’s mind. “Shall I tell him your answer is ‘no’?”

“Negative, Lieutenant. I have decided to remain in Starfleet and am accepting the post aboard Cleopatra.”

Chevis nodded, eyes dropping quickly down her petite figure to the blue carpet at her feet. “And what you told that fell’er?”

“I lied. Shall we go?”

“Sure. Need help with your bags?”

“Please.”

“Admiral, I need an XO.”

Admiral Minton’s image on the communications screen nodded his understanding. He narrowed his eyes and scrutinized the captain. Sharp had elected to make one last call before leaving his darkened cabin. He’d exhausted every other avenue of approach and come up with no one. “And you’re departing in a couple hours, am I correct?”

“Yes, Admiral.”

“Can’t you temporarily promote one of your current officers?”

“I’d rather it be a permanent posting.”

“Alright. And I suppose the body of PXOs have declined your invitations?”

“They have. I don’t blame them.”

“Nor do I. Too many newer ships and ground installations need good executive officers.” The cagey old man paused and gave Sharp the eye. “I do have one particular lieutenant commander. She’s been on the line for a while now.”

“Who? And why haven’t I already found her?”

The admiral smiled.

“Her name is Susan Ellyson.”

Sharp sat back, suddenly understanding.

“I’m familiar with her. She’s a prospective XO candidate?”

“She is. She entered the PXO program about the time her pictorials came out. Then there was the big stink about appearing nude and the debate on how that reflected on the officers of Starfleet. She won a favorable ruling. But most CO’s won’t even consider her as a first officer.”

The captain pondered giving his XO’s billet to a woman who’d appeared in the Stellar Online’s Women of Starfleet Pictorial. How would that affect her ability to garner respect from the crew?

Dammit, he thought, I need an XO.

Admiral Minton guessed his dilemma. The older man leaned back in his office chair and steepled his hands together atop his desk. “While you’re weighing the pro’s and con’s, let me give you my sales pitch. Because of those pictures and the doubts of every commanding officer that’s interviewed her, she’s had a lot of time to add to her resume. I’ve shuffled her from one desk job to another and given her the okay for every advanced class she’s asked for.

“As a result, she’s got certificates in Advanced Weaponry, Flight Control and Sensor Ops. She’s taken and completed Advanced Tactical Training, Advanced Sciences, and Spaceborne Tactics. If you take her one as your XO, you’ll be pulling her out of her second semester of Applications of Diplomacy class.”

Jon could not help but smile. His decision was all but made for him. Not only was Minton sold on Ellyson’s qualifications, Sharp could also feel the warming of his blood as his so-called Sixth Sense agreed with the admiral. The captain had made the mistake once of ignoring that Sixth Sense. Now it was a trusted companion.

“You cast a good pitch, Admiral. Remind me never to buy a used car from you.”

“I actually happen to have a great line on a ’47 Ford Thunderbolt. But I probably want too much for it. I can divert her to your ship before you launch and have her belongings shuttled to you after your mission.”

“Thank you, Admiral. Cleopatra, out.”

Sharp leaned back and let out a sigh as the comm screen blinked out. His crew was coming together nicely. He was only short a few crew positions in the hanger deck and engine gang. Nothing too major. Commander Ellyson’s past…decisions might bite him in the backside later, but for now it wouldn’t matter. He wondered how long it would take for the crew to realize they had a former nude model for an exec.

Laughing at the thought, the captain stood and exited his cabin.

Lieutenant Commander Susan Ellyson stepped up to the transporter pad of the USS Hendrick. She realized she was holding her breath when she turned around to look at the transporter officer who stood behind the control console. The specialist looked at her with idle amusement. He didn’t know her. She didn’t know him. He didn’t know how much bullsh*t she’d had to fight through to get this assignment.

“We’re still approaching the Cleopatra’s dock. Transporter range in one minute.” The spec told her.

Susan had only been aboard the Hendrick for about an hour. The only person aboard whose name she knew was Commander Barstow, the transport’s exec. Barstow had known who she was. He hadn’t bothered hiding that glint in his eye as his imagination played over the details of her pictorial. But he’d been mostly professional.

Commander Ellyson refused to feel sorry about having taken those pictures. She had proclaimed, and the Starfleet inquiry had confirmed, that she’d had the right to pose for whatever images she deemed appropriate. Starfleet had no say over her personal life and activities. It had, however, proven nothing more than a headache. It had almost totally derailed her chances at becoming a PXO. It clouded nearly every assignment she’d held for three years. Finally, Admiral Minton had helped her out.

Maybe things are back on track now, she thought. Even if Sharp only took me because he was in a hurry and desperate.

Both of us lucked out, then, she decided.

A whirring notation emitted from the transport control console. The specialist nodded to her and began to set the targeting controls. Ellyson held the little attaché case in her hand closer to her hip and tried not to hold her breath again. The machinery beneath the silver-faced alcove began to hum, then to sing. A swirl of particles enveloped her and she felt the flush of energy rush over her.

The effect faded. She found herself in a compartment of much older design. The corridor beyond the transporter was much more compact than those on modern ships. Darker. Stained steel gray access panels. The transporter itself wasn’t even in its own chamber. It was just in a wide nook in the center of a primary access way.

The Tellarite behind the control console gave her a sneer and a once-over. His total lack of interest was refreshing. She almost stepped down from the pad, then remembered herself. It had been so long since she’d reported for duty aboard a starship. She assumed a stance at attention.

“Permission to come aboard?”

“Granted.”

Ellyson stepped forth and presented a hand in greeting.

“Lieutenant Commander Susan Ellyson, reporting aboard.”

The huge hairy hand enveloped hers.

“Ah. The naked ape. Yes, I’ve heard of you. The captain is waiting for you in the forward briefing room. This deck.”

Susan’s jaw hung open in a shocked gape. If the Tellarite’s comment had come from any other species, she’d have been mad as hell. But the audacity of it and the wording had her speechless. At length, she withdrew her hand and nodded. She moved down the companionway, glancing back in confusion.

While the Cleopatra’s layout was compact, cluttered and confusing, the new XO had no real problems finding her way to the fore section. Everything was clearly marked in Starfleet script more than two decades old. She came to a halt before a hatch marked Brief Rm 1A and pressed the admit key.

“Come in.”

Ducking beneath a conduit slung low before the hatch, Ellyson entered the compartment and clasped both hands and her attaché behind the small of her back to stand at attention. “Commander Ellyson, reporting for duty, Captain.”

The ship’s CO was a tall and broad shouldered man. He was probably of African descent, though his complexion was rather light. His black hair was just a tad longer than a buzz. He stood and pegged her with an iron hard gaze.

“Welcome aboard, XO. I’m Jonathan Sharp.”

He stood and came forth to shake her hand. His hands were huge. They caught her attention when his name clicked home in her memory.

“Are you the Starfleet Golden Gloves Champion from ’52?”

A proud nod and a touch of a smile. He had a slight gap between his front teeth. It made him look cute for a moment.
“That would be me. Have a seat, Commander.”

Susan moved to the chair across the table from his position. He gave her another short glance and then activated the holographic projector in the table’s center. A holo image of the Cleopatra appeared and began to rotate to show her lines and details.

“I trust you were greeted correctly when you beamed aboard?”

Ellyson tried not to, but found she could not keep from pausing as she remembered the Tellarite behind the transporter controls. Sharp noticed and nodded.

“Was a Tellarite manning the controls?”

“Aye, sir.”

“Lieutenant Bornet, our Chief Engineer. They say his manners are considered good taste on his homeworld. Pay him no mind, but feel free to slap him down if he becomes too disrespectful.”

“Yes, sir. He…caught me off guard.”

“Never serve with a Tellarite?”

“Once. Didn’t know him very well. He didn’t act like that.”

Sharp nodded and touched another control, which made the hologram begin to flick through a series of schematics rather swiftly. “The ship’s been thoroughly refitted and upgraded, but as you know, the Comanche-Class starship is outdated from the ground up. We have a lot of equipment failures, and we’re constantly ripping out old stuff and fitting back new. You’d think we’d have a totally new ship by now, but the job is never-ending. I want you to familiarize yourself on our tactical capabilities first and get and understanding of what we had to do to fit in the weapons we currently have. We’re bound to find problems and we’re not getting a shakedown.

“Starfleet has a possible problem for us to run down for them. You’ll find a recording of Starfleet’s op order in your packet. Read it and try to settle into your position as quickly as you can. You’ll have the full duties of executive officer and science officer. You’ll meet the core of the ship’s officers at today’s briefing in two hours. For now, I want you to read over what I’ve downloaded to your cabin’s computer and familiarize yourself at least in general with ship and command crew files. I don’t expect you to know them by their middle names by mid-watch, but it helps to know a last name.”

“Aye, sir.” Ellyson found herself waiting for more. The captain looked his computer terminal over a bit and then nodded to himself.

“I believe that’s all, Commander.”

That’s it? She almost blinked, stunned. No mention of my pictorial or some kind of lecture on how I’m not to allow it to affect my performance of my duty or how I will have to put up with a certain amount of problems with the crew… Nothing?

She smiled.

“Thank you, Captain.”

“Welcome aboard, Commander Ellyson.”
"Jayne?"

"Yeah?"

Offline Grim Reaper

• Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 01:59:12 am »
Nice start, there is already lot's of flavour to the characters. And I like to see that pictorial now ;)
Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline Scottish Andy

• Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 08:46:37 pm »
Sorry for disappearing after repeatedly prodding you for more, Guv.

I gave myself enough time to read this properly instead of scan it, and I like it. Before I get into it, I do know you are transferring a 20th century problem forward in time, but I do wonder at the attitude of the crew; I would have thought they'd have cared less. Do you really think men two centuries on will still act like this? It never occurred to me to write this kind of scenario. I'm all about the futuristic alien sex across multiple species, some not even humanoid! ;)
I am interested in how Sharp will handle this though. He's my barometer for "normal" in this situation.

The lying Vulcan is also curious; I wonder what her story is and am interested in finding it out.

I am looking forward to more.

Offline Captain Sharp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 10:05:23 pm »
Do you really think men two centuries on will still act like this?

Yes.

The continuous trend of lowered sexual inhibitions as noted these days, or even 30 years ago will continue on, and likely ebb and flow as trends do.

Men, as a rule, are horn dogs. Horndogs with fewer inhibitions become more problematic on the whole (at least for a stoggy, stuck-up organization, as TOS Starfleet was originally presented in some aspects [in the final episode, they mention that no woman could command a starship, after all]). Such 'smut' as the mentioned pictoral would be much coveted swag among Starfleet horndogs, especially those who do not descend from stoggy, stuck up aristocratic origins. Said stoggy organization would then have some issues with the pictoral incident, but as mentioned in the story above, Starfleet has sprung from an 'evolved' point of view, and therefor could not take action against her. However, future commanding officers can weed such 'problem' candidates out of their selections process. Thus her issues.

As far as far-reaching impact, the pictoral will have none. Its mostly an interesting tidbit that will pop up now and again and cause some hijinks. I love hijinks.

Thus ends my wordy explanation and answer.

But yeah, I gave the matter some thought at length when coming up with the character concept, and even heard the little voice my mind generates and labels 'Andy' when I read your comments. The objections/observations I imagined closely coincided with your actual commentary. You have become something of a devil's advocate in my mind when I write Trek.

Not sure if that's a good thing or bad. :D

More to come soon. Want a comment or two more.

--The Guv
"Jayne?"

"Yeah?"

Offline Captain Sharp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 10:30:44 pm »
Alrighty, additional comments or no, its been long enough. Have some more.

Chapter Four

“Docking Control signals clear, Captain.” Ensign Lania’s precise voice called out through the controlled cacophony of voices throughout the bridge.

Captain Jon Sharp had expected the thrill of expectation at being about to take his own ship out of dock for the first time. But it was an old song and dance. He’d sat in this same position, and underwent the same launch procedure more than fifty times aboard this old boat. All he felt was a slight pull of foreboding from his Sixth Sense.

The only thing really different about this launch was the absence of Captain Pratchett. Sharp felt she’d deserved a better fate. Dying while attempting to save an Earth colony, though, was not the worst way to go.

“Signal we are underway, Ensign.” He centered his mind and concentrated on the here and now. “Helmsman, aft thrusters ahead one-third.”

“Thrusters ahead one-third, aye, sir.”

“Signal from Command, sir.” Came Lania’s tone again. “Admiral Minton sends his compliments.”

“Reply the same.”

The ship edge ahead under Lieutenant Ford’s direction. The docking scaffolding moved steadily back around the edges of the fore viewer, giving the old starship clearance to move freely. Once again, the old lady was emerging back into the silent blackness of her native element.

While he didn’t feel the old thrill, Captain Sharp was glad to note that he felt anxious to be back out on his own. If I ever lose that, I’ll just retire, he decided.

“We’re free and clear to navigate, Cap’n.” Ford reported. Mars was just sliding out of view as the helmsman turned the Cleo out toward the open space lanes.

“Warp speed.” Sharp ordered.

“Aye, sir. Warp speed.”

Lieutenant Ford ducked through the hatch leading into the main briefing room and gave the captain a nod before taking his seat. All the formal introductions seemed to have been finalized, he noted, and all the new officers had met the old. I’m behind, as usual, he thought. I always suck with new names anyway.

“We’re steady on course for the Mutara Sector, Cap’n. Engines maintaining warp factor four point seven-five.” He reported.

Sharp gave the young officer a nod and went on with the briefing.

“As I was saying: Starfleet expects our less friendly neighbors to take advantage of the fact that our fleet is indisposed and the amount of resources we’re diverting to the Neutral Zone. Thus we’re to take this Bird of Prey sighting very seriously. We’ll go in, render whatever assistance to the fuel carrier she needs to get her on her way as quickly as possible, then we’ll scour the area for Klingon activity.”

“It’s entirely possible that our Klingon friend will have already moved on by the time we arrive.” Observed the ship’s chief of security, Lieutenant Fujiwara. Ford had known Fujiwara since he’d been first assigned aboard a year prior. Known generally as “Mike”, the chief of security was one of the most devoted officers the helmsman had yet to meet. He was also a good friend.

“That’s a possibility,” Sharp agreed noncommittally. “But it’s our duty to make sure it and any brethren it brought with it clears the area. If we find ourselves outnumbered, we will break contact and report to base for reinforcements.”

The new exec cleared her voice to speak. It was the first chance Ford had been given to take a good look at her. He tried not to stare. She was as picturesque as her images on the Datanet, certainly. He’d recognized her name immediately as scuttlebutt had carried their new XO’s identity to him. Since coming aboard, she’d pulled her thick, curled red locks up into a tight roll atop her head and donned a severe look. She’d also opted for the command gold uniform dress rather than the blue of sciences. As XO, she had the option of either. Ford was glad she’d decided against the slacks, though.

“Captain, I suggest dropping out of warp speed well outside of weapons range and approaching the nebula at impulse. We don’t want to pop up in the middle of a surprise like the Fourth Fleet last month.”

Sharp nodded.
“Agreed.”

Ford cleared his throat to voice a tactical concern that had been on his mind since looking at the Mutara Sector’s navigation logs. Combat in that area would prove problematic to say the least.

“Any kind of combat is gonna be a…problem if we have to pursue the Bird of Prey or any other ship into the nebula, Captain. All that static discharging gas will cloud our tactical sensors. Shields will not function and targeting will be erratic. We’ll be relying a lot on navigational deflector detection and the main viewer.”

The helmsman noted that his report had nicely soured nearly everyone’s mood. He suspected that Sharp was well aware of the difficulties of traversing a Mutara Type Nebula, but he was not the type of commander to slap an officer down for offering pertinent information.

“Damage control parties will have to operate from stations deep within vessel interior.” Sharp told them. “We won’t have shield protection and it won’t do to have our DC parties blown out into space while we’re still taking hits. Make sure the saucer DC parties are aware of the changes in operation. And also iterate to their leaders that only combat related systems have priority. Even if primary O2 systems go down, I don’t want them wasting response time by sending a team there to fix them. We’ll rely on local and emergency systems till the fight is over.”

The CO glanced over to the engineer.

“Mister Bornet, you promised us some more engine power. What speed can we expect from the engines?”

The fuzzy, gray-furred Tellarite at the end of the table was not one of Ford’s favorite people. Rude and a know-it-all, the engineer had absolutely no people skills. There were days when the helmsman thought seriously of decking him.
“Well, the core is totally reconditioned. It’ll handle anything you could reasonably expect from a brand new reactor of its make and model. The coils, though, are complete trash. They’ll overheat at anything above warp five. It’s just a matter of when they decide to start fatiguing.”

“No estimates on how much warp five flight time we could coax out of them before shut down?”

“No. We’ll have to find out the hard way.”

Sharp didn’t look particularly pleased with that answer. Bornet didn’t even blink under the weight of the captain’s stare. Commander Ellyson broke the silence.

“I thought we were a warp six starship.”

This brought a round of smiles and snickers from the officer’s familiar with the ship and her history. Bornet was loudest and looked back at her crossly.

“This ship should be in a museum, my dear XO. Not flying out to meet Klingon warships in the middle of a nebula. This class was designed to replace the Daedulus-Class, but when the design didn’t meet all of Fleet’s expectations, the 300 Project was cancelled. The eighteen models that were built, however, were among the fastest ships in the fleet, and so were pushed to their top speed almost daily as they flitted across the galaxy to solve the universe’s problems. As a result, the three of these ships that haven’t been blasted to atoms or imploded are burned up relics that overheat if you even mention warp six.”

Ford felt a mixture of entertainment and insult at Bornet’s angry-sounding tirade. The ship was old and abused, but dammit, she was home too. Commander Ellyson seemed to be leaning toward sheer irritation as she regarded the Tellarite engineer.

“I hope you don’t give the same rousing pep talk to every member of the ship’s compliment, Lieutenant. Simply informing me that the Cleopatra isn’t up to original specs would have been sufficient. And I’ll expect a complete report on the ship’s debilitations on my desk by 1800 hours.”

Bornet rankled under the polite backlash and looked from the XO to the captain, gauging how best he could retort. A stern glance from Sharp seemed to decide him.

“Aye, sir. 1800.”

Ford was pretty sure the captain was smothering a smile. Ellyson certainly looked satisfied. I don’t wanna step on her toes. This was probably just a small taste.

Sharp went on.

“While we’re expediting the Beauvaunte’s departure, we’re going to launch a series of recon drones into the nebula to map the region and act as advance scouts. We’ll send them out in an elliptical search pattern to scour the area inside the cloud and outside before we decide to enter ourselves. I also want navigations to project likely exit points in the nearby sectors that a ship or task group might find to be of interest. Confer with tactical analysis to see which systems are being left the weakest now that Starfleet’s having to reorganize.”

This last was particularly for Lieutenant Ford and Ensign Davenport. Both nodded their understanding. Ron was still nursing his large silver coffee mug. Ford made a couple of notes on his data pad. He knew of a few things he’d look into along the trade routes in the area.

Sharp looked them all over amid the silence that ensued. Ensign Lania had the conn and was therefor on the bridge. He’d have a few instructions for her later. Ford and Davenport looked ready, with the latter looking over the helmsman’s shoulder to read his data pad. Bornet still looked plenty pissed at the new exec. Commander Ellyson seemed to have already forgotten the earlier incident and was still eyeing the tactical map of the nebula region that hovered above the table. Lieutenant Fujiwara looked eager to kill a Klingon or two. The only other officer in the room was looking right back at the captain with the same studying, unrevealing gaze he always reserved for Sharp.

The captain stood and addressed Doctor Goodnight.

“I hope we won’t be needing your services, Bill.”

“Amen to that, Skipper.” The 6’6 medical officer replied as he and the rest of the officers stood.

“I didn’t think you were given to religious outbursts, Doctor.”

“If it keeps casualties out of my infirmary, I’ll pray to God, Buddha, Mohammed, Kronos, Ra, Isis, Jupiter and any other invisible man you can think of.”

“Then you’d better get started, Doctor.” Sharp told him. The captain had a strange feeling that the prayers would be necessary.

The officer’s ward was relatively silent as Ford and Davenport sat down, trays in hand. Both carried their data pads. Work was on the menu tonight as well as food. The ship was still running toward the Mutara Nebula at her optimal velocity. The deck vibrated with a subtle resonance and the air was filled with the normal sounds of the engine core. There would be no voices to interrupt the two young officers. None of the off-duty officers had decided to dine in this evening. It was pretty late in the mid-night watch, after all.

“What about the old Vulcan-Rigel Route?” Davenport offered pointing out a listing on his own pad as the two settled in to get comfortable in their plastic chairs.

Ford considered the idea, already chewing a mouthful of hamburger.

“Ya might almost discount that since the old mines ran dry. But they can’t have stopped all the mining on the secondary worlds. Lemme check the deployment reports to see if we’ve left a back door for someone to exploit.”

For a few minutes, the two officers were silent, reading reports and making notes for the captain and XO to review. They plied their way through their meals without really tasting anything. The helmsman finally shook his head.

“I think the Vulcan-Rigel Route is pretty secure. No on-duty escorts till they reach Tiburon, but there are still six ships all along the route on constant patrol. You’d need a task group to do anything major. I think that one is pretty secure.”

“Alright,” Ron replied. “What about Thallus IV? The Andorians have that big purgium refinery there. According to this listing, the Andorians only escort their own ore ships in or out.”

Ford began pecking on his pad’s screen.

“You might have found a good target. Starfleet’s patrol grid is wide open there. The Republic was pulled away from there to strengthen Sector One. Looks like even our Bird of Prey could just walk in there and raid the place without breaking a sweat.”

“I thought the Klingons called their ships warbirds, not birds of prey.”

“Warbirds? Naw, that’s the Romulans.”

“Well, don’t the Romulans have Birds of Prey?”

“Yeah. They look different—“

“Then why do they both use the same terminology?”

“I think that’s more human labeling than what they call ‘em. The Klingons probably have some kind of ‘char-bar-ack’ name for ‘em.”

Ronald just continued to stare at the lieutenant questioningly, then shrugged. He went back to his list. They were nearly done.

“In the Kobayashi Maru test, the Klingon ships were called warbirds.”

“Funny, called ‘em battlecruisers in mine.”

The sudden eruption of the ship’s klaxon made both men jump in their seats. Two ensigns had just entered through the aft hatch to join them. All now looked up to the ceiling for the coming voice broadcast.

“All hands, stand to battle stations!”

Ensign Davenport and Lieutenant Ford emerged back onto the bridge with a hurried pace, bound for the pilots’ station. Ronald caught the eye of the exec near science and held up the preliminary report the two of them had finished on the way up. Commander Ellyson diverted her fast walk across the bridge to collect the device.

“What’s up, XO?” Ford asked her as he sat.

“The Beauvaunte has issued a distress call. She’s under attack.” Ellyson told them, turning back for the science console.

Captain Sharp sat down in his command chair, tapping the intercom control there as he looked forward to the stars and subspace energy rushing past on the viewer.

“Engine room. Mister Bornet, we need more speed.”

“I’ll do what I can, Captain. Stand by.”

The ship was already beginning to rumble and moan with an electronic wail. Ford glanced back to Sharp.
“Throttle control routed to engineering. Speed passing warp four point eight and increasing.”

To emphasize the report, the Cleo shuddered and took on a violent sort of vibration. The two pilots looked to one another. Ford smiled and shrugged. Davenport didn’t look happy.

Sharp swung his chair about to face the comm station.

“Miss Lania?”
The Vulcan ensign shook her head in reply, still pressing her receiver close to her ear as she spoke over the open communications frequency.

“USS Beauvaunte, this is the USS Cleopatra. Please respond. USS Beauvaunte, you have stated a condition of emergency, please identify your attacker, over.”

She continued on for nearly a minute.

“No response as yet on any open frequency, Captain.”

“Keep trying, ensign. Helm, present speed?”

“Passing warp factor five, Cap’n.”

“ETA to Beauvaunte’s coordinates?”

“Now under three hours, Captain.” Said the navigator.

Sharp’s hand found the intercom again.

“Engineering, how much more do we have?”

“I’ve tripled the flow to the intercoolers. No overheating yet. We might get five point three today.”

“Give me all you have.”

“I always do.”

The ship continued to tremble sharply while the engine drone increased in pitch. The Cleo had never failed to deliver engine power when needed. But her lacking top end velocity might cost a lot of lives today. Were she capable of her factor six rating, the Cleopatra could reach the Beauvaunte in half the time Davenport had just quoted.

“Captain, I now have a response from the Beauvaunte.” Lania reported suddenly.

“On screen.”

The main viewer began to display a grainy picture of another bridge compartment. Three men in the background were battling a burning plasma conduit as the freighter’s skipper stumbled from his comm panel to his command seat.

“Cleopatra, do you read?!”

“We read you,” Sharp replied. “Status report, Captain.”

“We are under attack by a Klingon warship! She swooped out of the gas cloud about ten minutes ago and we’ve been on the run ever since! They’re still jamming us…I didn’t know if any—“

The Beauvaunte took yet another direct hit to her hull. The sound of the weapon’s impact was unmistakable, even over static filled speakers. The captain staggered out of view. The flaming conduit aft of him flared back to life, engulfing one of the damage control specs next to it. His fire safety suit didn’t help him much from the look of it.

“Cleopatra, are you still there?!”

“Still reading you, Beauvaunte! We’re more than two hours out. What defenses do you have left?”

“Nothing, Cleopatra…” The skipper’s ragged voice was full of defeat as he dragged himself back into visual range of his comm system. His face was burned, and now bleeding. He continually pawed at the ravaged flesh of his cheek. “Pulse cannon are dead, shields gone. And they’ve taken out my impulse drive… I can’t rig for warp with the deuterium scoops jammed open. We’re dead in the—“

There came a flare of light that severed the communication. Sharp blinked, believing that in the last instant he’d seen the Beauvaunte’s captain scream out, throwing his hands forth in terror. He glanced back to the comm chief, debating on whether he really wanted to see what he’d thought he’d saw…

“Ensign…the last second of the transmission. Slow playback and freeze frame.”

Ensign Lania nodded back with a somber expression in her eyes. The viewer began to replay the last instants of the recording. All eyes were locked on the main screen.

The Beauvaunte’s captain was still speaking in muted syllables when the playback began. The next couple frames showed the bridge shake ferociously, throwing the man forward, twisting his face in fear. The next set was nearly the same, but showed the bulkhead behind him glow. Then the bulkhead crumpled. Blew away. The replay froze as the freighter captain tried vainly to grab hold of some purchase as the atmosphere of his ship carried him out a ten-foot chasm that now loomed beneath his feet. The Cleo crew could see the Mutara Nebula outside the hull breach, as well as a stretch of the Beauvaunte’s hull.

“Engineering,” Sharp called soberly into the intercom. “Give me your absolutely best speed.”

"Jayne?"

"Yeah?"

Offline Grim Reaper

• Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 05:07:33 am »
Thanks for the update. I like the lack of excitement in the launch of sharp. And I love the dig about BoP/Warbirds. I also like the consequences for using a museum ship. So basically, please gimme more!

Offline Captain Sharp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 08:46:02 am »
The Abramsverse Version of the story also has a long tirade about the various suggested lengths of the Constitution Class ship. Ex Astris Scientia has entire PAGES devoted to it. Of course, I have my own reservations about the lengths of ships in Trek after having visited the USS Lexington in Corpus Christi.
More to come.
"Jayne?"

"Yeah?"

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 03:13:06 pm »
You've got my review already, so I'm just posting so you'll know I'm reading it again.;)
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Scottish Andy

• Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 03:35:02 pm »
A fine continuation, Guv. Special merit goes to:

Ford was glad she’d decided against the slacks, though.

Ford is not the only one.  ;)

“If it keeps casualties out of my infirmary, I’ll pray to God, Buddha, Mohammed, Kronos, Ra, Isis, Jupiter and any other invisible man you can think of.”

Love it! Why leave it at men though? Are you prejudiced against the invisible pink unicorn, Bertrand's teapot, and the flying spaghetti monster?  :D

“I think that’s more human labeling than what they call ‘em. The Klingons probably have some kind of ‘char-bar-ack’ name for ‘em.”

Showing a fine understanding of alien cultures there. Starfleet's finest.   ;D

“In the Kobayashi Maru test, the Klingon ships were called warbirds.”

“Funny, called ‘em battlecruisers in mine.”

Loved this even more. I mean, how hard was it to get that right in the new movie? Silly little easily avoidable issues like that (as we don't know if it was a mistake or not) bug me silly. On a tnagental note, oddly I do like whenDavid Gerrold calls them "Klingon war dragons" in his early book 'The Galactic Whirlpool'. Very poetically descriptive.

I like the staff meeting and the limitations of an older, slower ship. Reminds me of my own take on all this stuff. I am well pleased that no one mentioned the XO's pictorals -- it would have been unprofessional, but very possible -- and I liked the Captain giving her his full backing when the Engineer was thinking of causing mischief.

On that note, forgot to mention that I did like his greeting to the XO when she arrived in a previous chapter. "Ah, the naked ape." :D

Good stuff, looking for more.

P.S.
I have my own reservations about the lengths of ships in Trek after having visited the USS Lexington in Corpus Christi.

Care to elaborate? I too don't like how the JJ-prise went from about the same size as the Enterprise to the size of an Imperial Star Destroyer. There have been scaling errors in every incarnation of Trek, but within one movie when your ship quintuples in its dimensions, it's a bit much. This goes beyond a nitpick on Canon to credibility issues iand suspension of disbelief.

Offline Captain Sharp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 11:43:22 pm »
The JJ-Prise increased in scale for one reason only: They wanted *their* Enterprise to be the biggest one. Note they didn't stop scaling up the numbers till she was longer than the E and more massive than the D.

And as to elaborating further, I may one day. But having been on a carrier of comparable length to what the TOS Enterprise was supposed to be, and comparing spaces involved... I think the original ship shold be larger than the 289 meters she's always listed at.

But, its scifi. That's the accepted length, so I'm happy.

And yeah, prolly kicked over a hornet's nest there.

--The Guv
"Jayne?"

"Yeah?"

Offline Scottish Andy

• Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 08:10:34 am »
Eh...

Suffice it to say, I'm happy with the plausibility of the full internal deckplans of the original Constitution class by Franz Joeseph in 1979.

I'll leave it "bee" and just wait on more of your story. :)

Offline Captain Sharp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 07:42:53 pm »
Didn't he put the engine room in the saucer section?

:D

More story to come.

--Guv
"Jayne?"

"Yeah?"

Offline Scottish Andy

• Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 10:18:35 am »
Didn't he put the engine room in the saucer section?

:D

Yup, he put it right in front of the impulse engines. But I also think he put an identical engine room under the nacelle pylons in the engineering hull. So we have Impulse and Warp Engineering rooms. I'd have to check up on that though. :)

Offline Captain Sharp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 06:52:08 pm »
Been a long time since I looked at em, but 99% sure its only in the saucer. In fact, the Star Trek 25th Anniversary Tech Manual used his drawing of the engine room, and it also greatly implied that it was in the saucer.

And he put the torpedoes in the upper module. And only three phaser banks, none aft, despite the fact that everytime you hear reports coming over the intercom, the first you hear is "Aft Phaser..." Yeah, my OCD demands I keep on. But...I won't. As for blue prints, I prefer the side view deck plans designed for Enterprise's Mirror Eps. I lucked into a copy of it with a Ships of the Line Calendar. Oddly, THEY stick another phaser bank where Joseph put the torps.

Anywho...

--The Guv.

And soon...more story, less tech debate.
"Jayne?"

"Yeah?"