Topic: Klingon ISF I1 Patrol Boat For SFC 1.  (Read 3804 times)

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
Klingon ISF I1 Patrol Boat For SFC 1.
« on: December 14, 2011, 10:52:40 pm »
This another model that I have sat in the Klingon models file here. It is generally used for LAN skirmish scenarios involving the Klingon Internal Security Force, which as anybody knows from SFB, is a "Cinderella" force guarding the Klingon Empire's borders and internal space.

The ISF is poorly equiped and underfunded. During the General War it was in an even worst predicament and the Orion Pirates took advantage of this.

Appeals for more ships were ignored by the High Command and the ISF were told to make do with what they had.

However a routine salvage trip to a wrecker's yard, Kzinti frontline, by ISF repair personel looking for spare parts discovered a collection of FBRed A3 corvettes awaiting scrapping with resonably intact command bulbs.

A plan was dreamt up of attaching these command bulbs to the readily available Neutronic fueled commercial propulsion units, as used on barges, ferries, etc. which would allow the ISF to construct its own patrol boats in its own repair yards.

The hangar deck was salvaged off of wrecked cruisers which allowed up to 4 shuttlecraft to be carried.

The exact numbers constructed is unknown as numerous repair yards produced the I1 patrol boat as and when A3 command bulbs became available.

The I1 was capable of engaging the common Orion Patrol raider and Light Raider.

The weaponry of the A3's command bulb was retained and the medium range Disrupter made up for the I1's inability to carry missile racks.

Shields were an odd arrangement with the stronger forward shields being generated by the A3 command bulb whilst the weaker aft shields were generated by the commercial propulsion hull. This was not seen as a problem as Klingon ships tend to always be facing towards an enemy and attacking.

Also dependance on Neutronic fuel because of the use of civilian Warp engines proved to no problem for the I1. Spare parts were easily sourced and the ship could be repaired in civilian shipyards when needed. Also refueling could be carried out from civilian fuel depots, which in the Klingon Empire, are not allowed to handle Anti-Matter fuel in case it could be utilised by any rebels for weapons.

The lack of high Warp speed did allow many an Orion Pirate to out run a pursuing I1 patrol boat.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 10:31:58 am by Panzergranate »
The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
Re: Klingon ISF I1 Patrol Boat For SFC 1.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 12:54:38 am »
Interesting design ;D

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 11:24:32 pm »
This would also make a good early era mauler ship ? 
Time for life!

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 01:24:43 pm »
It would have the power with the Neutronic fueled Warp engines (15 boxes). Maybe a refit with D5 cruiser S-Graph engines (36 boxes) and a change of command bulb it could make a Mauler test platform.

I think that test platforms is another modelling subject worth exploring.

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!