Topic: Question from a time-displaced Romulan...  (Read 3534 times)

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
Question from a time-displaced Romulan...
« on: December 18, 2011, 09:47:39 am »
Has anyone figured out a way to get OP working on Win 7 yet?

I'm not worrying about Dynaverse play but single-player would be nice because I've been jobless for too long and I've finished the internet.
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
Re: Question from a time-displaced Romulan...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 11:43:20 am »
not OP, no, but we're working on getting EAW to work in 7 :3
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 02:01:57 pm »
I discovered why too.  OP doesn't want to run on my box but EAW works fine.  Now, is there an OP+ and models pack for EAW?
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline Strat

• Retired
  • EAW Update Crew
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 07:57:11 pm »
I can run OP on Windows 7 with no modifications other than latest Taldren patch and OP+. Others can as well. Single-player, GSA, and IP modes work fine in Windows Vista and 7, at least in every machine I've ever tried it on since Vista was released.

The only thing that does not work (with OP and EAW) is the Dynaverse, at that is due to an incompatibility. It is a known issue. As stated, a fix is on the works for EAW.

What exatly happens when you run OP? Perhaps I can help. I also see you got EAW working, so perhaps its not nessecery. Either way, I will do what I can to help.

Strat

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 02:58:26 pm »
The last time I installed OP I followed Pestalence's instructions and it still got as far as the splash screen only to crash to desktop.  1st run it even asked for the cd key.

I followed his instructions on the EAW install as well and that worked.

I miss OP and the correctly-working cloak...

BTW, Is it just me or is EAW's AI smarter than OP's AI?  I ask because I was flying a King Eagle last night and an I-CMP walked all over me!  Notable victories in the same ship include an I-CAZ, F-GSC+, GSC, DDG 3-way, and F-BCF, DN 2-way (I had help in that one in the form of a R-SNB and R-SE so it was mostly me). 

Normally I'm a force to be reckoned with in any Eagle but it seems like the cloak is useless!  I've caught a few drones and plasma well after the cloak effect finished, and drone and plasma continue to track if I cloak after they were fired.  Phasers just go right through.  It's been so long since I played EAW that I forget if maybe it's supposed to be that way?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 03:13:24 pm by Commander Maxillius »

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 03:50:38 pm »
Also (sry if I'm being a pain), but will EAW work with OP+ shiplist?  I'm one of the few that likes the original models (except the Feds) so if models don't work, no biggie.

Offline Strat

• Retired
  • EAW Update Crew
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 05:12:20 pm »
The AI is always a little funky of a subject.

No, sorry, OP and EAW ship list are not interchangable.

For OP freezing, assuming you have already tried pestalence's suggestions, please try closing all other programs before running game. Also make sure you have the latest video drivers. Sometimes a reinstall is nessesary, but I'd try that last.

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 12:07:50 am »
Crap.  So there is on EAW OP+ shiplist.  bummer.

As for closing all other programs, that's never been an issue on any of my other boxes, including the first 400MHz one.  That would run OP under XP pretty well.  Campaign savegames took like 5 minutes to load, but apart from that lol

Oh well, I'm just happy to have *any* version of SFC up and running  :D