Topic: =/\= 2 exoplanets found that survived their stars death  (Read 4240 times)

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
=/\= 2 exoplanets found that survived their stars death
« on: December 21, 2011, 05:30:00 pm »
yes, you heard me right. two exoplanets have been found that apparently survived their sun going past red giant stage when it died and they are still there! scientists believe that the two planets were much larger but the when the sun engulfed them, the intense heat of the red giant stage burned off most of the material leaving behind much smaller planets. if this is true, it is an amazing find that planets can survive the death of a star. we are going to have to rethink star death in systems with planets including our own. obviously the next step would be to confirm these findings then do some more intense research into that system. read here for more details: http://news.discovery.com/space/survivor-planets-orbit-dead-stars-111221.html
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
Re: =/\= 2 exoplanets found that survived their stars death
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 05:43:25 pm »
The question would have to be asked, is even if the planet survived, would any life at all survive, even in underground shelters?  And would any of our planets be massive enough to survive?
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 05:59:41 pm »
Based on the article, I think its more likely that they were jupiter type planets that migrated inward later.  Its not as if they have detailed photos of them, and the claim that they survived being engulfed by the red giant is based solely on their current distance from their parent star.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 04:48:07 am »
alot of guess work and assumptions.  interesting anough to be something to look at, but nothing conclusive at the moment.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.