Topic: =/\= another failed russian satellite launch  (Read 8637 times)

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
=/\= another failed russian satellite launch
« on: December 26, 2011, 03:36:56 pm »
it's been a bad year for the russian space program. another launch by the russians, a satellite this time, failed in the upper stage and failed to make orbit. this makes over a half dozen failed launches this year alone. after the failed launch pieces of the satellite fell to earth and one piece even crashed through a man's roof. in a huge stroke of universal irony, the pieces fell on cosmonaut street.  ::) it was described as a 50cm sphere. i feel bad for the russian scientists on the space program as it has to be a rough time for them all. i hope they figure out what is going on with their soyuz rockets soon.
read here for details: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/russian-meridian-satellite-crashes-into-street-named-after-cosmonauts/story-e6frf7k6-1226230038319
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
Re: =/\= another failed russian satellite launch
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 12:14:49 am »
The Race for space = $$$$  is the issue,

Please someone tell me the Russians are not in controll of the ISS ?   

They said they would kill the iss by 2024 ? Please private Usa take it over!  Your taxes paied for it! 
Time for life!

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 11:42:24 am »
Ity seems like the Russians still have a long way to go to catch up with the number of failed launches of the Arianne programme during the 1970's, 1980's and 1990's.... The swamps of French Giuana are littered with pieces of Arianne rockets and payloads....

The ISS is accumulating damage even as you read this, from micro meteorites, space debris, solar radaition and cosmic radiation.... all serve to gradually damage its structure.

By 2024 it is predicted that the ISS will be uninhabitable and unservicable.

The ISS does not have chemical rocket motors capable of adjusting its orbit.... it has too much mass built onto it and its modular structure would not stand up to the forces generated by any rocket motors subsequently attached to propel it into a higher orbit.

The ISS's specific impulse plasma maneuvering thrusters are for attitude control but are unable to provide enough thrust to move it to a higher orbit. Although specific impulse plasma thrusters offer very high eventual speed than chemical rocket motors, they have the thrust of a human fart and have a very slow accelleration rate, which is why they were chosen as the ISS's maneuvering thrusters.... they are simple, gentle and very cheap.

Basically if they fired all the appropriate plasma thrusters now they would still not have enough velocity to move tot a higher orbit and save the ISS by 2024.

This is why it has been calculated and decided that the ISS will become a veryreal hazard to the Earth in 2024 and should be crashed in a controlled manner into the ocean without risk to human life.

After large parts of Sky Lab peppered Australia, after surviving re-entry, they are taking the ISS's fate seriously.

That is why it will be destroyed in a controlled crash in 2024.... it will make quite a spectacular fireworks display and a lot of it will survive to impact the ocean.

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 01:27:00 am »
Ity seems like the Russians still have a long way to go to catch up with the number of failed launches of the Arianne programme during the 1970's, 1980's and 1990's.... The swamps of French Giuana are littered with pieces of Arianne rockets and payloads....

The ISS is accumulating damage even as you read this, from micro meteorites, space debris, solar radaition and cosmic radiation.... all serve to gradually damage its structure.

By 2024 it is predicted that the ISS will be uninhabitable and unservicable.

The ISS does not have chemical rocket motors capable of adjusting its orbit.... it has too much mass built onto it and its modular structure would not stand up to the forces generated by any rocket motors subsequently attached to propel it into a higher orbit.

The ISS's specific impulse plasma maneuvering thrusters are for attitude control but are unable to provide enough thrust to move it to a higher orbit. Although specific impulse plasma thrusters offer very high eventual speed than chemical rocket motors, they have the thrust of a human fart and have a very slow accelleration rate, which is why they were chosen as the ISS's maneuvering thrusters.... they are simple, gentle and very cheap.

Basically if they fired all the appropriate plasma thrusters now they would still not have enough velocity to move tot a higher orbit and save the ISS by 2024.

This is why it has been calculated and decided that the ISS will become a veryreal hazard to the Earth in 2024 and should be crashed in a controlled manner into the ocean without risk to human life.

After large parts of Sky Lab peppered Australia, after surviving re-entry, they are taking the ISS's fate seriously.

That is why it will be destroyed in a controlled crash in 2024.... it will make quite a spectacular fireworks display and a lot of it will survive to impact the ocean.

The death of the ISS is a real issue for the tax funders. Who pays for it and who kills it. The over 100 billion and not say the cost to lauch it all. Vrs the What? other nations pay$ for it.  Things dont work here whats the con?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 02:19:44 am by Kreeargh »
Time for life!

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 01:15:26 pm »
The problem is that its orbit is slowly decaying and will become a serious hazard by 2024.

Because of its modular construction the option of simply bolting on a few dozen big rocket engines and propelling it into a higher orbit won't work.... it would break apart under the massive stresses on the structure from the innertial forces.

If it isn't brought down to Earth in a controlled crash in 2024 it will still crash anyway but nobody will know where it will land.

After Sky Lab came down uncontrolled and plastered itself all over central Australia, even damaging a farm house, controlled crashes have become the norm for doomed spacecraft. The ISS is the biggest object we've put into space and quite a few tons of it would survive re-entry. Imagine that falling onto a populated area.

It isn't like the Russian have any choice over whether or not to crash the ISS in 2024, gravity and the laws of physics has already decided for them.

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 09:49:57 pm »
The problem is that its orbit is slowly decaying and will become a serious hazard by 2024.

Because of its modular construction the option of simply bolting on a few dozen big rocket engines and propelling it into a higher orbit won't work.... it would break apart under the massive stresses on the structure from the innertial forces.

If it isn't brought down to Earth in a controlled crash in 2024 it will still crash anyway but nobody will know where it will land.

After Sky Lab came down uncontrolled and plastered itself all over central Australia, even damaging a farm house, controlled crashes have become the norm for doomed spacecraft. The ISS is the biggest object we've put into space and quite a few tons of it would survive re-entry. Imagine that falling onto a populated area.

It isn't like the Russian have any choice over whether or not to crash the ISS in 2024, gravity and the laws of physics has already decided for them.

If they work now with small push they could save the station. We have the tech now to fix problems like this. They dont want to is the issue. The Iss is not set up for the $$$$ space traveler. 
Time for life!

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 10:44:27 pm »
In order to keep the station going as long as you want, we need something like the Shuttle.

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 08:35:12 pm »
In order to keep the station going as long as you want, we need something like the Shuttle.
Wheres the Riped copys The Ussr had ? did they retire also?
Well I am one tax payer not happy about the 105 billion the Us Cost when the death is others job. Let the UsaPrivate fleet controll the issue!  Branson and others blow me pay $$ for it DID you pay to create the station? Those others countrys who helped payed for it get a discount. Every US taxpayer should get $20,000.00 off per ride to space! The Usa taxpayer discount.  :crazy2:
Time for life!

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 10:38:55 pm »
Well I am one tax payer not happy about the 105 billion the Us Cost when the death is others job. Let the UsaPrivate fleet controll the issue!  Branson and others blow me pay $$ for it DID you pay to create the station? Those others countrys who helped payed for it get a discount. Every US taxpayer should get $20,000.00 off per ride to space! The Usa taxpayer discount.  :crazy2:

The Russian shuttle program only produced one completed orbiter, which was grounded after one unmanned mission, and subsequently destroyed in a hanger collapse.  According to wikipedia there is one orbiter that is 97 percent complete, and the Russians are reviewing whether or not to restart the program, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.  In hindsight Bush made a huge mistake by not allowing the airforce to take over the venturestar program.

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 10:54:22 pm »

The Russian shuttle program only produced one completed orbiter, which was grounded after one unmanned mission, and subsequently destroyed in a hanger collapse.  According to wikipedia there is one orbiter that is 97 percent complete, and the Russians are reviewing whether or not to restart the program, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.  In hindsight Bush made a huge mistake by not allowing the airforce to take over the venturestar program.

It is hard to see the facts of the issues. Why are immages of the Ussr concept in flight with glory to just fail>?  Some damn good cgi? 
Time for life!

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 11:05:27 pm »
Part of the problem was Russia's original reason for developing a shuttle.  They wanted one because we had one.  When the cold war ended, money was tight, and wanting to outdo the US was no longer a justifiable reason for them to spend billions of dollars.