Topic: Input wanted on retextures  (Read 10607 times)

Offline RAGE

• THE BIG MEANIE
  • Lt. Junior Grade
Input wanted on retextures
« on: March 07, 2012, 11:10:13 pm »
I'm constantly wrestling with whether I should post about my retextures. I've only been back at it for a few months and I personally don't think much of what I've done is worth showing off, but I'm doing it anyway. Swing by The SCRAPWORX , take a look at everything and let me have your thoughts. Keep in mind that nothing is finished yet.

RAGE
Once you go worm, that's what you'll yurn. Worms-M.I.B.

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Cad Schematics are our Speciality
  • Lt.
  • Trek Canon!!! I NO believe in TreK Canon!!!.
Re: Input wanted on retextures
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 08:59:36 am »
the Federation Trainer Looks really good as is  Keep up the great work

Offline RAGE

• THE BIG MEANIE
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 02:01:17 pm »
So far you're the only one showing any interest. Do you have any idea where I can find some kind of reference to it? I've been looking all over but have only found one site and it wasn't very helpful. I'll get back to working on it later today or tonight and hopefully have an update in a few days.

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 02:35:05 pm »
I'm liking all of your docks! That's something we don't seem to have enough variety of for this game.

Nice work!  :D

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 03:59:51 pm »
I'm liking all of your docks! That's something we don't seem to have enough variety of for this game.

Nice work!  :D

Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 04:22:20 pm »
Any retexture of a Non-Federation ship is worth having around for variety sake. Please release what you are willing to.

Qapla'
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline RAGE

• THE BIG MEANIE
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 05:48:39 pm »
It looks like the "to finish pile" just got a little larger!  :o

RAGE

Offline manitoba1073

• FLEET ADMIRAL OF THE YARDS
  • Lt. Commander
    • manitobashipyards
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 09:17:27 pm »
It looks like the "to finish pile" just got a little larger!  :o

RAGE

You will have that happen here alot.

PS.
   DID I SAY ALOT YET

:laugh:

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 10:19:56 pm »
Any retexture of a Non-Federation ship is worth having around for variety sake. Please release what you are willing to.

Qapla'

LOL is this your way of saying please release the Kligons

Hello RAGE, will tell you the same I tell anyone Finish what you like and release what you want to. Most of us here will collect what we can when we can, we all Appreciate any ship we can get.
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 12:47:22 am »

Qapla'

LOL is this your way of saying please release the Kligons

Hello RAGE, will tell you the same I tell anyone Finish what you like and release what you want to. Most of us here will collect what we can when we can, we all Appreciate any ship we can get.

I think whats needed here is input , thoughts , ideas, comments ? good or bad!  Offend if needed but comment on the work done.  No one does it any more they just say cool or dont post at all!

KF wants new races as we all do and not many makes.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 01:10:22 am by Kreeargh »
Time for life!

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 01:12:54 am »
Alright, I'll offer some constructive criticism :) Note that all these things I'm about to point out are not gospel, just my opinion. The points here are open to criticism themselves, as they always should be.

Your federation trainer is solid as it is for all the reasons I'm going to point out below. Take it as a good example on what I'm talking about.

Detail contrast is all about guiding the eye - making a person catch significant and nuanced details without being overwhelmed by them. Too much detail and things get noisy, too much empty space and it feels blank and unfinished. I've always found it helpful to break detailing down into three shape "Categories": Primary, Secondary, Tertiary.
Take a look at this, and if you'd like me to expand on it, let me know: http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/primary_secondary_and_tertiary_shapes/primary_secondary_and_tertiary_shapes.htm

Examples as to what could use some secondary and tertiary detailing.

Spruce up the underside of body of that guy and give us a bit more tertiary detailing on the wings :3
Tile patterns are a fine base, but to pull a texture together it needs more, something to make the repeating nature of the pattern not obvious, something to break up the monotony.

THIS has some great secondary shape-detail: the blue bits, the various shapes dotted around. all it needs is some fiddly tertiary bits :).

Color wise, I feel like your red is a bit too saturated.
Take a look at these as an on-the-cuff reference point.
http://kuler.adobe.com/#themeID/1765390
http://kuler.adobe.com/#themeID/1778849
http://kuler.adobe.com/#themeID/1763961
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 11:57:36 am by FoaS_XC »
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline RAGE

• THE BIG MEANIE
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 02:33:08 pm »
The Klingon K-2 just has the wing pattern for now because I was debating on the details and colors to go with it. As for the rest of the underside........that has yet to pop into my head. The same can be said for the top of it.

The goal with the Pirate Frigate was to recreate what it would like fairly new instead of the beat up SFC3 version. I do understand what you mean by some small extras here and there, so that's a possibility for an alternate texture. I'm also doing the SFC3 Pirate Light Cruiser in the same manner. I like their designs and wish there were more of them.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 03:25:22 pm »
I did like the idea behind the pirate ships from SFC3. Good on you for playing with them :) - your execution has a lot more potential than theirs did, I think.
Robinomicon

Offline RAGE

• THE BIG MEANIE
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 06:17:22 pm »
Theirs probably would have been fine with some scorch marks, but the large bandaids with extremely large rivets just killed them for me.

Offline RAGE

• THE BIG MEANIE
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 04:59:19 pm »
I've spent the last couple days totally redoing the textures on the Academy Trainer after finding a couple sets of pics. The color on the model was somewhere between a burnt mustard and something you might find in a baby's diaper. The other pics were from the studio model but actual colors weren't quite clear. I'm liking this much better than what I had going. I have new pics up of the Trainer and a couple of the other ships.

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 01:27:03 am »
Bump
Time for life!

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Cad Schematics are our Speciality
  • Lt.
  • Trek Canon!!! I NO believe in TreK Canon!!!.
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 08:04:16 am »
I have a suggestion make the white one a TMP Era trainer and the beige/tan one the TNG version. 
One thing to keep in mind is that the colors change under studio lights and photographic process.
In the end it what you like, they are all great models  ;D   Keep up the great work

Offline RAGE

• THE BIG MEANIE
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 12:48:31 pm »
I see what you're up to Bernard.  :knuppel2:

TMP era noted and started.

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 07:15:08 pm »
Yeah, Bernard is good at that.. I think I've done at least 10 kitbashes per his suggestions alone.  ;)
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 09:55:42 pm »
lost confused and just basically not wanting to read the entire thread

What ship are we talking about, please post a pic, and what are you looking for general ideas, fixes etc?
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.