Topic: Does having a Facebook account lower your IQ?  (Read 22820 times)

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
Does having a Facebook account lower your IQ?
« on: April 21, 2012, 10:08:46 pm »
With some people, I have to wonder.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/facebook-police-gas-siphoning-764512

APRIL 18--A Kentucky man is facing a misdemeanor rap after he siphoned gasoline from a police car, a theft that came to the attention of cops after the perp posted a Facebook photo memorializing the crime.

As seen in the above photo (click to enlarge), as Michael Baker, 20, was swiping the gas last month from a Jenkins Police Department squad car, he made sure to flip the bird as his girlfriend snapped a picture.

After obtaining a copy of the photo (which began circulating in Jenkins) police arrested Baker Monday evening for theft by unlawful taking, according to an arrest warrant, which alleges that he “stole gas from a Jenkins City Police Cruiser” and then “posted a picture of his theft on facebook.”

Baker, pictured in the mug shot at right, is scheduled to be arraigned today in Letcher County District Court.

While the siphoning photo has been removed from his Facebook page, Baker yesterday updated his 380 friends on his legal problems. “just got out of jail,” he wrote in one post, adding later that “yea lol i went too jail over facebook.” Responding to a friend who had not seen the image before it was yanked, Baker assured, “yea lol u would just have to seen it it was funny as hell tho.” (1 page)

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
Re: Does having a Facebook account lower your IQ?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 11:09:31 pm »
I think it is more that there are loads of idiots that use Facebook.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 05:07:52 pm »
Stephen, see why I said your being on facebook lowered you in my opinion? 

:laugh:
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 12:10:56 pm »
I have a tested (1997) IQ  of 167 and don't have or even want a Facebook account as I cannot see the point of it at all....

I've noticed that extremely vacuous people seem to spend a lot of time involved with Facebook to the point of obsession and suffer from some sort of idiotic delusion that they don't exist unless they are on Facebook.

I'm not sure if they were vacuous and shallow individuals before or bacame so afterwards.

I have enough real friends in the world without having to pretend that I have hundreds of pretend "friends" on Facebook.

To paraphrase God's advice message to Horrace Wimp in ELO's 1978 song "The Ballad Of Horrace Wimp",

"Facebook Users.... Go Out And Get Yourself a Life.... You Can Do It....".

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 12:34:21 pm by Panzergranate »
The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 02:01:44 pm »
I don't have a Facebook account either, don't see the point in it.

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 02:22:24 pm »
I think most are under the impression its totally private(Within their circle of friends) when it isnt lol, not necessarily lowering of the IQ
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 02:28:03 pm »

BASTARD!!!

LOL, I have fun with it. I'm able to keep in touch with my grand kids, as they are always on, and I ran into two cousins I haven't seen in a number of years. One of which, would half the time be an international call to make, where as Face Book is free to chat with him.

Add in the insider stuff with Dyna.nets face book page, I find it kind of nice. Now the one thing I don't do, is all those stupid, hijack your computer <enterwhatever>ville games they have. Another thing I like, is say Newegg. I get daily updates when something is on sale via them, amazon, etc. etc. Nice if one saves pennies.

Does it get silly at times? sure it does. My Grandson who is 16, just the other day said, he shocked himself with a power cord, and his right hand was numb. So I told him "Dude, you can not hook up a Fleshlight to 110, stop trying. "It caught him so off guard, that we had a big laugh over it.

So silly , sure, But if something brings a smile to ones face, why the hell not. (As long as it's not illegal of course.)

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 06:40:52 am »
I'm asking this question....

When all cars sold in the world have anti-fuel shiponing baffles in the filler pipe, how come these police cars apparently don't??

In the EU it is mandatory on all new cars and vans since the 1990's so how come not in the US??

It is also possible to fit them and locking fuel caps so once again how come the Police car didn't have one fitted??

Aren't the Police meant to encourage crime prevention??

Somehow it wouldn't surpirse me if the precinct that owns the cop car has a Facebook account as well....

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

intermech

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 08:41:04 am »
Not related to siphoning gas, but one night I was passing a cop on the interstate driving his Chevy Tahoe. He was all over the place. As I passed, I noticed that he was on his swing-over laptop. I figured, ok, that's excusable, he is probably trying to find a location for a call, it is part of his job. Then I noticed the royal blue stripe at the top of the screen with his picture at the left. The cop was driving at 65mph through a city in an SUV while updating his facebook!

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 06:12:38 pm »
I'm asking this question....

When all cars sold in the world have anti-fuel shiponing baffles in the filler pipe, how come these police cars apparently don't??

In the EU it is mandatory on all new cars and vans since the 1990's so how come not in the US??

It is also possible to fit them and locking fuel caps so once again how come the Police car didn't have one fitted??

Aren't the Police meant to encourage crime prevention??

Somehow it wouldn't surpirse me if the precinct that owns the cop car has a Facebook account as well....

Notice the size of his siphon hose. It probably had to be that small to get past the baffle. Squad cars would automatically have the required baffles since they are just heavy duty versions of private vehicles.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 07:15:19 pm »

BASTARD!!!

LOL, I have fun with it. I'm able to keep in touch with my grand kids, as they are always on, and I ran into two cousins I haven't seen in a number of years. One of which, would half the time be an international call to make, where as Face Book is free to chat with him.

Stephen

Just don't talk to blondes too.  A study proved that talking to them lowers your IQ. 
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 07:26:17 pm »
I'm in luck there. Not too many Cherokee blonds, or on my wives side, Italian Blondes.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 07:39:38 pm »
I had a running gag with the HR woman at my old job about not speaking to her because of that study.  She really got annoyed when I pointed out how appropriate the Word for Dummies book she had on her desk was.  :)  She kept her dummies books hidden after that.   

She is actually quite smart and very nice but I wouldn't tell her that

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 11:13:53 pm »
yes :police:  . memebers feel smarter cause they think the freinds give a crap about them and their issues, FACTS most public dont care at all. The real stupid thing is most post All their info names dates and more where the issue of id theft can be easy.  But these days i guess thats ok. :laugh:
No bad on facebook though i have an account and posted stupid shiAt.  :)
Time for life!

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 03:20:33 pm »
The answer is yes.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 12:56:39 pm »
I have noticed that people with below average IQ's (100 is the agreed rating for average) have a fondness for using the word "LIKE" in their conversations, sometimes half a dozen to a dozen times in a single sentence.

"LIKE" is word that even the extremely stupid can spell which is why it seems to be the popular choice.

Folks with limited mental agility and suspect abilities also tend to use "Kid's Speak".

Kid's Speak words, which are cute when uttered by an under 8 but sound stupid when used by a grown adult are "Spelled" instead of "Spelt", "Misspelled" instead of "Mispelt", "Worster" instead of "Worst" and "Funner" instead of "More Fun".

Some of you probally have alread noticed that Microsoft Spell Checker wrongly uses "Misspelled" instead of "Mispelt" thus confirminf what a growing majority of folks believe about Microsoft programmers....

So next time you hear somebody using Kid's Speak or "Like" in every sentence they utter, just remember that not everybody can be as smart as you....

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 03:01:19 pm »
<snickers> Panzer said "confirminf"

J/K ya bro.

Stephen

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 07:17:14 pm »
Absolute proof that Facebook does indeed lower your IQ:

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 12:29:06 am »
Now wait a second, that was long before Facebook was even thought of! Like back in the "I'm gonna Eat Dirt, if the next patch isn't out" days.

I'll have you know, My IQ was low , looooong before Facebook!

Stephen

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 01:12:56 am »
Speaking of Facebook... anyone been watching Facebook's stock since the IPO Last week?  It's downright hilarious to see how badly mis-managed the companies public debut was.  A stock that was expected to soar into the stratosphere, barely hanging on to its initial asking price.  It's up a buck-oh-three, at this point.  Market's closed Monday, usually means either a big sell-off or no movement as no one wants to be holding on to something that's overvalued over a long weekend.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)