Topic: The what I got this week thread  (Read 23574 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
The what I got this week thread
« on: June 03, 2012, 08:17:58 pm »
I figured we needed one of these threads, And it can be anything, from new tires, to a new PC, to a pet. You get the idea.

I found out today, the wife and kids, got together and bought me a new Video card, to replace my old ATI HD 4350.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XLPJOY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00   IT's a Sapphire Radeon HD 6570 1 GB DDR3 HDMI/DVI-D/VGA PCI-Express Graphics Card 100323L

Sure there are better cards out there, But this one will work great for what I do. In fact, I am looking forward to going back and playing some old games I had to play on low settings.  I'm just as happy that they thought of something like this for Fathers Day. <hugs to the family>

anyways, You guys get something new you want to show the class? See, now I sound like a teacher, on show and tell day.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline manitoba1073

• FLEET ADMIRAL OF THE YARDS
  • Lt. Commander
    • manitobashipyards
Re: The what I got this week thread
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 11:44:00 pm »
 Grats its not a bad card. I still prefer my Nvidias.  Heres the card I have currently.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130739  its basically a gts 570 at the price of a 560 lol. And it screams.

Unfortuantely I am still unemployed so cant really get anything new, though my online classes Im kicking ass in so thats a plus ( only 12 weeks left till finished). I did get a used craftman rider lawn mower, it is only costing 32 bucks a week.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 12:04:50 am »
Hey that's something at least Mani. Glad to hear those Classes are almost over for ya also. Shoot, Pick up one extra lawn a week, and that mower will have paid for itself.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Lono

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 11:32:43 am »

I found out today, the wife and kids, got together and bought me a new Video card, to replace my old ATI HD 4350.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XLPJOY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00   IT's a Sapphire Radeon HD 6570 1 GB DDR3 HDMI/DVI-D/VGA PCI-Express Graphics Card 100323L

Nice!!!  - Miso Jealous!!

Man I would totally kill to upgrade my PC and finally get some Day Z on!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/10/thank-you-for-the-dayz-part-zero/

I bought myself a couple of humble indie bundles for F-day - since I'm gonna be driving to see the inlaws on the actual day.

( oh - and the new expansion for Frozen Synapse - but don't tell the wife  ;) )

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 06:40:52 pm »
Stephen Hawkings book "The Grand Design".
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 09:01:12 am »
A new elliptical machine
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 04:56:17 pm »
It was actually last week but a new Netbook.  The old one had a flakey screen.

Specs:

Acer Aspire One AO722-0818, Netbook (Espresso Black) - AMD Dual-Core Processor C-50 (1.0GHz), 11.6" HD (1366x768), 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD, AMD Radeon HD 6250 Graphics, 802.11b/g/n, Webcam, Card Reader, 6-cell Battery, Windows 7 Home Premium

Also to give me room for the storage I will require for my DVD to HD (using DVDShrink) storage I bought an external bay.

Specs:

Mediasonic (HFD1-SU3S2) ProBox 4 Bay Dock USB 3.0 & eSata for 2.5" / 3.5" SATA HDD

I already have such a bay (and a 1 disk bay and 2 disk bay as well) but I had 5 drives in use already and no end in sight.  (3 x 2TB, 1 x 1TB and 1 x 750GB).  Now I have room eventually to have 11 x 2TB drives :) .
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 05:06:56 pm by Nemesis »
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 05:57:24 pm »
Dang Nice Nem. wow, 22 TB of data. You running a history of books club off those drives?

Nem is trying to beat the library of Congress.

Stephen

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 06:31:03 pm »
Dang Nice Nem. wow, 22 TB of data. You running a history of books club off those drives?

Nem is trying to beat the library of Congress.

Stephen

22 TB is for the future.  Right now it is only 7TB.  I buy the 2TB drives on sale when I see a coming need for more space.  Eventually I expect to double up the drives with a master and a backup for each one.  Since my router is fried the 750GB drive is shuttling movies ripped on the Windows machine to the 7 TBs on the Linux machine (that doesn't count the internal 500GB drive on the Linux machine in those totals). 

My DVD movie collection is too unwieldy so I'm putting them on HD and boxing up the DVDs for storage.  Also my TV is pre hiDef 27" (no wide screen of course) and my computer monitor (Xmas present) is 27" widescreen so they look better on the computer than on the TV.   Especially so with SciFi like SG-1 (50 disks and another 25 for SG-A).  As I recall you converted your DVDs to HD some time back did you not?  So I'm just following in your foot prints.

Mostly I watch them on the Linux box because A/ the Windows machine is older and can't handle the maximum screen resolution and B/ the Linux box isn't locking up running VideoLan like the Windows machine (They share the same monitor/keyboard and trackball).  DVDShrink due to the faster processor (Core2Duo at 2.4ghz compared to P4 at 2.8ghz) rips the DVDs far faster but crashes between each movie.

Eventually I'll get a HD TV and make a computer just to play the movies on it.  Meanwhile the 2 computers are started converting movies when I leave in the morning and again at night.  I've brought so many boxes home from work to store the DVDs in that a rumour started that I was moving :rofl: .

The DVD I'm watching next is the Batman serial from the 1940s that I just found out existed last weekend and bought (and converted).  The Batmobile is a standard convertible of the time and is the same car that he drives as Bruce Wayne (and Robin drives it too). 

So did that answer your question (and then some :)  ) ?

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 09:15:58 pm »
Yes I did convert them. The next big thing I'll be doing, is to get a device to go from my old VCR, to PC. Stormbringer (from this site) gave me about 500 VCR movies, when he switched to DVD. THis was , man, almost 8 years ago, I reckon.

What I do on mine, is I have the ability to swap out HD's on the fly, Both IDE and SATAII. Now eventually, I would love to really get into using an SSD, but I think that will be next build, probably around 2015-2016.

I love those old serials btw, I have everything that Buster Crabbe ever played in, and I do remember that old Batman one. That old hard top rocked. IIRC, he even used a pistol back then.

Another example I have, is a lot of the old Godzilla films. I'm a sucker for them, and have the DVD's that I could find, stored on the HD. I'll have to remember, and make a list for legal downloads of films, that are open to the public. I've got a whole folder devoted to them.

Heh, I could talk old movies all day long brother. I'm glad to see you doing the same.

Stephen

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 10:35:49 am »
I've got a bunch of VHS tapes that I'd like to convert too.  I don't know how though. 

I'd like to see how SSD affects performance myself.  Some time down the road I might put one in the netbook I just bought and check how it affects performance and power usage.  With the docks I have I "unmount" them in linux, turn the power off to that drive then I can swap it power it up again and wait a few seconds for Linux to go "Hey a new drive" then I'm off again .  With the excess bay space I have I don't have much need for that except when transferring files from the Windows machine to the Linux one. 

I did get another gadget but it is really for my mother though I'll likely have to keep it at my house and use it for her, it is for converting slides and negatives (of which my parents have a great many) to jpegs.  Sometime soon I'll be going crazy on it.  Then of course everyone in the family will want the images and I'll have to teach my mother how to sort and name them. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 10:50:56 am by Nemesis »

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 11:43:06 am »
I've got a bunch of VHS tapes that I'd like to convert too.  I don't know how though. 

Couldn't you use a TV tuner, and connect the VCR to it?

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 04:15:33 pm »
You probably could. I know as far back as the early 90's they had things that would allow you to record your Home movies. The only thing that you would have to check on, is if the TV tuner card, allowed you to record to the HD also, or if it just allowed for play back.

Amazon has some stuff...   http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=vcr+to+pc&tag=googhydr-20&index=electronics&hvadid=6352075225&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15513925111037993756&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_25x2d02vps_e

as does Newegg... http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380047%201685342852&name=Capture%20%26%20Editing&cm_sp=tvtunersubcatstore-_-flashstorefront-_-videocapture&editing

Stephen

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 05:29:14 pm »
I was under the impression that recording in hd was standard issue, but that cable companies keep you from ripping them off by requiring you to subscribe to their dvr service in order to get anything other than local channels in hd.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 06:39:25 pm »
You could be right on that, I'm not sure. It would explain why one can't swap out HD's to their TICO or other DVR.

My whole goal, is simply to be able to play a VCR movie, and have it record to the PC, which is where the software plays a part. I mean, a trip to radio shack, and 20 bucks, and you could make your own USB cable. But without the software, sure it may play in say media center, but it won't record.

Stephen

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 07:22:26 pm »
I think you can use the wintv software that comes bundled with Happauge tv tuners.
http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/manuals/wintv_v7.pdf

Offline 762_XC

• t00l
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 08:55:20 pm »
Fleet Vice Admiral 762
Director of Strategy and Tactics -Xenocorp
Quality Assurance Lead - SFC Community Edition (Beta)
--------------------------------

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 03:50:11 pm »
Outstanding 762! or is that now 00762?

Stephen

Offline 762_XC

• t00l
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 05:05:24 pm »
 :smackhead:
Fleet Vice Admiral 762
Director of Strategy and Tactics -Xenocorp
Quality Assurance Lead - SFC Community Edition (Beta)
--------------------------------

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 07:14:18 pm »