Topic: The what I got this week thread  (Read 23569 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: The what I got this week thread
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2012, 01:00:47 pm »
My old E-Bike (with about 20,000 KM on it 12,500 Mi) isn't performing reliably so picked up a newer better unit on Friday ($700 off the regular price).  It was their last one so I had the choice of taking it or waiting 3 weeks and paying more for an upgraded model so I took the one on hand - Red is not my favourite colour for such things.  It is a much better model than my old one, they are evolving quickly.  I am going to have to take it back and have them fix the horn and rear wheel lock though. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2012, 07:46:38 pm »
Got a brand new car on Wednesday.  First new car I've ever purchased, the rest had all been used. 2012 Chevrolet Malibu.  Drove it off the lot with 7 Miles on it.  MSRP on the car was $30k, but the dealer has an arrangement with a radio personality who calls himself the Car Pro, (Jerry Reynolds) they took off almost $10k through that referral.  Didn't really want to pick up a new car payment, but I did want a car that would last longer than my last one, and when you pick up a used car with 68k miles on it, you've basically missed out on 2-3 years of the car's life.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2012, 07:58:29 pm »
Nice except for the lack of a V6 or better a V8 option which is a huge stumbling block for me on so many new cars. That though is something that it seem I will have to deal with at some future date. It isn't that the 4's don't have good power it is how you have to drive them to get that power. I do hope you like the car and get many years out of it.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2012, 08:25:25 pm »
Thanks Brush,

I was talking to a mechanic about that just prior to purchasing it, (I too was concerned about dropping from a 6 cylinder to a 4 cylinder, although they do have 6 cylinder engines for that model, they were a bit more expensive) the way the 4 cylinders are built today, they almost have as much power as the 6 cylinders had back in the early 2000s.  He had said that it wasn't quite the old V6 but certainly more powerful than the old 4 cylinder, or even the straight sixes from the 90s.  I only got it up to freeway-speed once (and that was on the drive home from the dealer) so I'm not sure how much truth there is to the statement.  I'll find out soon enough.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2012, 03:22:33 pm »
Thanks Brush,

I was talking to a mechanic about that just prior to purchasing it, (I too was concerned about dropping from a 6 cylinder to a 4 cylinder, although they do have 6 cylinder engines for that model, they were a bit more expensive) the way the 4 cylinders are built today, they almost have as much power as the 6 cylinders had back in the early 2000s.  He had said that it wasn't quite the old V6 but certainly more powerful than the old 4 cylinder, or even the straight sixes from the 90s.  I only got it up to freeway-speed once (and that was on the drive home from the dealer) so I'm not sure how much truth there is to the statement.  I'll find out soon enough.

The statement is true. Last summer when I visited my cousin down in Mississippi we took her Mercury Milan with the 4 cylinder down to New Orleans and I will admit it has a bunch of power. The issue for me was that to get that power you had to drive it like you stole it, plant you foot on the floor but with the rev limiters all cars have now I wasn't worried about breaking it. I am just an old foggey that likes low revving engines, you'll do just fine with it.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2012, 02:58:06 pm »
My old E-Bike (with about 20,000 KM on it 12,500 Mi) isn't performing reliably so picked up a newer better unit on Friday ($700 off the regular price).  It was their last one so I had the choice of taking it or waiting 3 weeks and paying more for an upgraded model so I took the one on hand - Red is not my favourite colour for such things.  It is a much better model than my old one, they are evolving quickly.  I am going to have to take it back and have them fix the horn and rear wheel lock though.

Thought I'd upload a picture.

The bike is 60V, 500W.  Has cruise control.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2012, 05:59:59 pm »
Hmm. I'm thinking 500 watts, electrolysis, and a water jug. I wonder if it would be enough to burn hydrogen, to get back  more energy to power such a thing.

Prob. not, but I may be checking the old tables.

Either way, man, that looks nice Nem.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2012, 11:53:45 am »
I still don't know how much range I get.  It is rated at 100 km (62.5 mi.) if you and your cargo weigh 175#s.  My cargo and I push closer to 230 and yesterday (mostly in low power mode admittedly) I got 85 km (53 mi.) and still had power.  I am losing weight so hopefully the range (whatever it is) will go up further.  The most I ever go on the old bike was about 70 km and that was when I was 10#s lighter and minimizing cargo.  I even made the round trip to work (30 km each way) without charging at work while mostly using standard power mode and didn't run low. 

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2012, 11:12:57 am »
22 TB is for the future.  Right now it is only 7TB.

Two of those 2TB drives are nearly full so I added 2 more.  So I'm up to 11 TB (or will be once the 2nd one completes formatting).   :)

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2012, 12:04:57 am »
Wow, nice work Nem on the back ups.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2012, 06:54:07 pm »
Once all the movies are on the disks THEN I have to buy more disks for the backups so I don't have to do it all over again in case a drive fails.  I've been working on this for most of the last year. 

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2012, 03:14:24 pm »
Acer A200-10G08w 10.1" 8Gb 1.0Ghz Dc Android 4.0 Tablet  $225.99 Cdn (including taxes). 

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2012, 01:24:46 pm »
Book
History`s Worst Predictions
and the people who made them

By Eric Chaline

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2012, 10:45:57 am »
Once all the movies are on the disks THEN I have to buy more disks for the backups so I don't have to do it all over again in case a drive fails.  I've been working on this for most of the last year.

Done.  4x2 TB for my DVDs and another 4x2 TB for back ups of those.  I did give away the 1 drive external bay so now all 10 external bays are full.  18.25 TB of HD space on that Linux machine :) (8x2 TB, 1x1 TB 1x750 GB and the internal 500GB drive).

It was actually last week but a new Netbook.  The old one had a flakey screen.

Specs:

Acer Aspire One AO722-0818, Netbook (Espresso Black) - AMD Dual-Core Processor C-50 (1.0GHz), 11.6" HD (1366x768), 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD, AMD Radeon HD 6250 Graphics, 802.11b/g/n, Webcam, Card Reader, 6-cell Battery, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Replaced the 5400 rpm drive with a 500 gb 7200 rpm hybrid.  Also upped the ram to 4 gb.  Boot ups do seem faster.  :)

Edit:

I normally hibernate the netbook and it has varied between 3 an 8!! minutes to wake up.  Now it seems to be right around 45 seconds every time.  Much nicer.  How fast would it wake if I had gone SSD?

« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 09:59:03 am by Nemesis »

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2013, 07:26:35 pm »
After a month of heavy use I went to defrag the hybrid drive in the netbook and the C: drive which usually fragments fairly quickly was at only 1% and defragged in under a minute.  It looks like the hybrid system actually helps to avoid fragmenting the HD.  An unexpected bonus  :thumbsup:

Offline Leermeister

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2013, 11:14:39 pm »

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2013, 07:10:49 pm »
Nice buy there Leermeister. I'm running a Sapphire 6770 card myself. My wife loves watching movies now across three screens. at first when I tried to explain to her, the whole eyefinity thing she just didn't get it.

I guess the last thing I bought , was that game The Secret World. Love it so far, great for group or solo.

Stephen

Offline Leermeister

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2013, 09:02:04 pm »
yeah, love it ,can finally enjoy my games on full graphics. It works with my other card and my amd a6 processor for duel graphics cards- amd said  6570 is what is recommended for the card built on my motherboard to work together.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2013, 03:52:14 pm »
After a month of heavy use I went to defrag the hybrid drive in the netbook and the C: drive which usually fragments fairly quickly was at only 1% and defragged in under a minute.  It looks like the hybrid system actually helps to avoid fragmenting the HD.  An unexpected bonus  :thumbsup:

I've been watching this closely and over the last 6 weeks the C drive has twice hit 2% and then backed down to 1% without defraging.  My data drive did just suddenly jump to 4% but it is a "high traffic" drive with things downloaded to it then removed fairly frequently so I won't be surprised if it backs down from the 4%.  So it appears that the hybrid drives do avoid fragmenting. 

Just before Christmas my old XP desktop (P4 2.8 ghz, 2GB RAM and I think 240 GB HD) which I was given when my old employer shut down rather than their scrapping it "died".  I just got around to finding out what was wrong a couple of weeks ago (shows how little I use my Windows desktop :) ) and found it is the video card fan.  Rather than messing around with it I picked up a surplus machine that was being liquidated Core2Duo 2.8 ghz, 4GB RAM and 400GB SATA HD and a DVD burner.  Windows 7 Premium 64 bit.  Still installing software on it ($226 including tax no key board, mouse or monitor).  It handles the 27" monitor (shared on a KVM switch) much better than the old dead card even though just using integrated video.  I'll get the old machine going again sometime soon just to find out if it has any data on it that is not on the Linux desktop which I use mostly at home.  Even though the machine is legit since it has no internet connection it was giving the illicit OS warning till I downloaded and applied the crack for it.  Legal software but still had to crack it   :screwloose:

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2013, 10:14:06 pm »
Not really a flashy purchase but I recently bought a Motorola DOCSIS 3.0 compatible cable modem.  I bought it because the old one from the cable company was acting weird.  This also saves me $5 a month on my cable bill by no longer renting a modem.  I spent some time doing some speed tests with the new modem and the old one before I returned it and got some interesting results.  The new modem pinned the Internet speed at maximum that the cable company allows while the speed on the old one fluctuated between maximum and 3~4 Mbs under max.  I tested around 3am each morning when most people are asleep used the same speed test website.  Given that I can see why some people mistakenly think that they are getting faster Internet speeds from the cable company just by upgrading their modem.

So if you are having issues with your cable Internet and still using an old DOCSIS 2.0 modem it might be worth while to upgrade.  Keep in mind three things though; first if the modem you buy dies you either have to replace it or ask the cable company to rent another one.  Second if you have any service issues the cable company will always point the finger at your cable modem first.  Third DOCSIS 3.1 should be ratified soon so if you can hold out until 3.1 is released you might want to wait.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825390001