Topic: SFC2 Windows XP limited account.  (Read 3504 times)

slickrcbd

SFC2 Windows XP limited account.
« on: November 25, 2012, 07:02:05 pm »
I just had to replace the hard drive with Windows XP on it on my old Windows 98SE/XP dual-boot system. Now I'm reinstalling all my software.

I'm trying to recall how to play Starfleet Command II and Orion Pirates on a limited account. It keeps asking me for the CD-key every time.

It does not do so for the admin account after I fixed the shortcut, but when I try to play with my usual account, I get asked for the CD key again. How do I fix this? I've only found the issue that fixed it for the admin account, but I recall playing it before without issue, and it doesn't happen on Windows 98SE.

I think it must need a registry permission altered, but I can't find how I did it last time. That's the problem with old games, the solutions get lost. I've installed the game to the FAT32 drive so I can share space with Windows 98SE, which I rarely boot these days. Anyways, since it's on FAT32 it can't be a NTFS permission, especially since the same files are used by windows 98.

If you are going to say the answer is already here on the forum, please post a link. I've not had much luck beyond getting the game to run as the admin.

P.S. If there's anything I need to do to get SFC1 to work on XP as a limited user, please also link to that one as well.

Offline Strat

• Retired
  • EAW Update Crew
  • Lt. Commander
Re: SFC2 Windows XP limited account.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 09:00:10 pm »
SFC was made before we had these modern permission restrictions. They are in the OS, not just NTFS permissions.

I'm afraid with the CD-key, that is a registry permissions this protected by the Windows XP API. The only way to get it saved is by running it at least once as administrator, and entering the key. After that it should work in limited. I'm pretty sure that would work.

The final release of the SFC 2:CE will not have this issue.

slickrcbd

Re: SFC2 Windows XP limited account.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 10:29:01 pm »
Actually, what you described will make things work for the admin account, but a limited user will be prompted to enter the CD key every time. Very annoying, but they will be able to play after typing the key.
To make it so the CD-key only has to be entered once, you need to edit the permissions on the registry key.
As per this thread,
http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,16317179.msg1122364530.html#msg1122364530
For OP:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GameSpy\CDKeys ---> StarfleetCommand2 (hex)

For EAW:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WON\CDKeys ---> StarfleetCommand2 (hex)

Changing the permission on the "Users" group to "Full control" for the "CDKeys" key for both EAW and OP fixed the problem.