Topic: Kerbal Space Program.  (Read 4236 times)

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
Kerbal Space Program.
« on: November 29, 2012, 11:58:47 am »
I was wondering how many of you play Kerbal Space Program on the PC??

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Kerbal Space Program.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 03:43:10 pm »
I had not heard of it till now, Looks kind of interesting.

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 05:57:41 am »
Nerdł's Free Games Extravaganza!

Skip to 6:47

LYAO for the next six minutes.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Czar Mohab

• Faith manages.
  • Lt.
  • Chewie - Go jiggle the handle!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 07:29:53 pm »
I was wondering how many of you play Kerbal Space Program on the PC??

Skip to 6:47

LYAO for the next six minutes.

You are both horrible human beings for turning me on to this.  :D :smitten:

Ok, joking aside, this thing is awesome.
I had not heard of it till now, Looks kind of interesting.

Build rocket, send to space, enter orbit (optional), go to Mun (optional), go to other places (optional), return to home planet. Failure in the form of firey explosions. What's not to like? Personally, I'm actually getting tired of the kabooms - just means I keep failing. Still working on the piloting thing, need to get that sorted before I can do things like orbit the Mun (one of Kerbal's moons).

Cheers, and happy flying,
The Czar
US Navy Veteran - Proud to Serve
Submariners Do It Underwater - Nukes Do It Back Aft - Pride Runs Deep
Have you thanked a Vet lately?

Subaru Owners Do It Horizontally Opposed!
Proud Owner - '08 WRX - '03 Baja - '98 Legacy

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 05:01:38 pm »
Been busy helping the "Space Lemmings" conqeur their star system.

Have managed to build and launch a couple of DY-100 type ships and the SS Explorer was the Kerbal's first ship to go to Duna (equvalent of Mars) and return. It dropped off a probe and discovered an alien pyramid at the south pole.

Landed an expedition via a special lander transported to Duna under the DY-200 SS Adventure.

DY-100 SS Mariner was first Kerbal manned expedition to Eve (equivalent of Venus). Managed to soft belly land the 150 plus metre ship on Eve's very low gravity moon and have the crew of 6 have a look see.

Discovered crashed flying saucer on the south pole of Kerbin's moon "Mun". Landed a 3 Lemming expedition using old fashioned rocket propelled ships (DY's are attomic powered). Two of the crew mysteriously disapeared whilst climbing on said saucer, remaining one crapped pants and returned to Kerbin alone.

Currently have 2 space stations in orbit around Kerbin as freight loading and refueling bases. Duna has a station and have only recently orbited a station around the inner most possibly habitable moon Laythe next to the gas giant Jool. An unmannd probe landing, from the impulse powered DE-100 SS Intrepid, reported back that gravity was 0.92g, atmosphere 0.88 Bar, surface temperature is 3 Degrees Celsius and that it had landed in a liquid of some description, possibly water. From orbit large island masses are visible.

The game sucks you in the more you play it.

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Czar Mohab

• Faith manages.
  • Lt.
  • Chewie - Go jiggle the handle!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 05:25:22 pm »
Delivery of "Space Tugs" to (the new) Hyperion Station (Note: Due to the Alpha nature of KSP, the old Hyperion Station did not survive 100% from version 0.18.2 to version 0.21.1; it did survive from 0.18.2 through 0.20.1):
KSP v. 0.21.0

Inspection Pod inspecting (the old) Hyperion Station (Note: the new Hyperion will look similar enough to the old one that I don't mind showing the old one before finishing the new one):
KSP v. 0.18.2

Space Train "Locomotive" burning into a circular 300 Km orbit (Mun is visible in background):
KSP v. 0.21.1

Space Train "Locomotive" Docked at (the new) Hyperion Station
KSP v. 0.21.1

You are both horrible human beings for turning me on to this.  :D :smitten:

This statement is still true.  :smitten:

The Czar
US Navy Veteran - Proud to Serve
Submariners Do It Underwater - Nukes Do It Back Aft - Pride Runs Deep
Have you thanked a Vet lately?

Subaru Owners Do It Horizontally Opposed!
Proud Owner - '08 WRX - '03 Baja - '98 Legacy

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 02:42:26 pm »
The game makes you appreciate just how complicated and tough, logistically and technically, going to Mars will really be in real life.

I spend a lot of time doing "Service Flights" to keep stations refueled so that I can refuel the fleet of DY-100 / DY-200 permanently space bound ships.

Lot of fun though designing the various craft required and figuring how to make it survive launch and then make orbit.

Mechjeb makes chore flights a lot easier.

My tip fr launching very large things into space and hopefully making orbit is to burn every drop of fuel out of the craft and then launch a robot tanker (or more) after it and refuel it in orbit.

On my larger projects (PE series) I launch the ship with the minimal amount of engines and ship them up for attachment later using a manned RCS shunter tug.

(Big ships are easier to dock by scraping past a station docking port and side latching it).

I've already started modding and it is interesting that the KSP game has a "rolling" shiplist which doubles as the gamesave.