Topic: t00l or Bearslayer still lurk?  (Read 9149 times)

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
t00l or Bearslayer still lurk?
« on: December 21, 2012, 12:07:23 pm »
Was bullsh*tiing with Chuut and Corbo about old war stories recently, was curious if you guys still lurk.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline FPF-Bach

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: t00l or Bearslayer still lurk?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 06:17:23 pm »
Where were you bs-ing?
Former Federation A/RM SFC2.NET
Former Federation RM SFC2.NET
Hydran A/RM LB4
Interim Federation RM GW3
Federation RM GW4

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 09:01:03 am »
Dungeons and Dragons online.  I play like Whitney Houston smoked crack, they play once in a while.

Offline FPF-Bach

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 08:38:20 am »
Link?
Hydran A/RM LB4
Federation RM GW4

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 09:08:54 am »
tool? no, due to other issues, bearslayer? dunno.
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 09:16:33 am »
Link?

www.google.com   :)

Pretty much the link for everything these days.

I've been reading a bunch of old threads here, mostly the after action reports form the good servers and the kill threads.   It's such a shame this game got old, nothing out there now is as good as this used to be at the tactical level.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 11:11:43 am »
Too many shootem ups and not enough thinking games. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 02:42:30 pm »
Too many shootem ups and not enough thinking games.

it's not just that . . . it's what passes for "tactics and strategy" in many of the new games is just plain retarded.  Only other Trek game i played in recent years was Lecagy and that was pretty terrible to.

MMO's are fun, but they lack something that we had in Dyna.  In Dyna your actions actually had consequences.  Taking a hex mattered, killing your opponent mattered, dying mattered, etc . . . the stakes were higher so the reward was greater.  These other games are like playing poker with no money.

I'm just getting old and nostalgic, but I truly miss what we had with Dynaverse.  I know the CE version of the game looks really promising but man I'd pay real money for a "real" new game based on the SFB/Trek properties.

Offline Strat

• Retired
  • EAW Update Crew
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 03:14:19 pm »
What would you like to see in a new game that SFC CE is not?

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163380976.0.html

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 03:20:24 pm »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 01:10:56 pm by Captain Adam »
Odo :    
"Being accused of a crime is not a disgrace, Chief. Some of the great figures of history have shared the honour with you."
to O'Brien
DS9 : Tribunal

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 09:37:20 am »

I could care less about modded texures or any of that rubbish, game play is what it’s all about.  What I want is below.

1.    Missing SFB stuff.  Plasma bolts, scouts, better and more intelligent attrition units, the fleet controls from SFC1 (MUCH better that EAW and OP), real Andros, lead-tracking for seeking weapons (if not level the speeds as is), reverse, stuff like that.
2.   A Single Internals option.  Would have to be play-tested, might lead to much faster combat but that being a good or bad thing is debatable.
3.   A “REAL” strategic game.  D2 was fun, the illusion of strategy made it entertaining but it really was nothing more than who flew the most missions.  I’m not sure this is possible in the SFC engine but this is a wish-list, right?  I can pontificate in greater detail if its more than academic.
4.   Larger fleets.  I would LOVE 10v10 with legal SFB fleets.   Sure it would take a lot of coordination to pull this off and lesser players would get slaughtered but so what?   Lesser/dumber players should get slaughtered.  Coordinating 10 people is no more difficult that what we do coordinating 12 people in MMO raids.
5.   A modern and STABLE game engine.  The constant load crashes we used to have in SFC just DO NOT HAPPEN in other games.  Nobody would tolerate that now.

Offline FPF-Bach

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 09:47:50 am »
Link?

www.google.com   :)

Pretty much the link for everything these days.

I've been reading a bunch of old threads here, mostly the after action reports form the good servers and the kill threads.   It's such a shame this game got old, nothing out there now is as good as this used to be at the tactical level.

Smartass
Hydran A/RM LB4
Federation RM GW4

Offline Max Power

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Old School Hydran/Green Menace Leader
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 11:36:13 pm »

I could care less about modded texures or any of that rubbish, game play is what it’s all about.  What I want is below.

1.    Missing SFB stuff.  Plasma bolts, scouts, better and more intelligent attrition units, the fleet controls from SFC1 (MUCH better that EAW and OP), real Andros, lead-tracking for seeking weapons (if not level the speeds as is), reverse, stuff like that.
2.   A Single Internals option.  Would have to be play-tested, might lead to much faster combat but that being a good or bad thing is debatable.
3.   A “REAL” strategic game.  D2 was fun, the illusion of strategy made it entertaining but it really was nothing more than who flew the most missions.  I’m not sure this is possible in the SFC engine but this is a wish-list, right?  I can pontificate in greater detail if its more than academic.
4.   Larger fleets.  I would LOVE 10v10 with legal SFB fleets.   Sure it would take a lot of coordination to pull this off and lesser players would get slaughtered but so what?   Lesser/dumber players should get slaughtered.  Coordinating 10 people is no more difficult that what we do coordinating 12 people in MMO raids.
5.   A modern and STABLE game engine.  The constant load crashes we used to have in SFC just DO NOT HAPPEN in other games.  Nobody would tolerate that now.

You forgot SCS. I wish to obliterate you all with Stinger-2's while simultaneously giving you a harrier ulcer. I want close combat maneuvering, I want to do in game what that SSD shows "this is what your ship looks like after being hit by stingers". And 20 is waaay low. I mean, you can get 30 in mechwarrior living legends, and that's a player run server system.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 03:44:02 pm »
I have Bearslayer on Face book, I'll toss him a link to this page if that helps. I hear from Mackie and Jack Morris quite often (as far as others Who don't frequent that often).

Stephen

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 04:09:39 pm »
Dungeons and Dragons online.  I play like Whitney Houston smoked crack, they play once in a while.

And Hexx as well, although he has been away for a bit (unless he returned when my playtime got cut).

Oh and if you think Die-Hard was anal about SFC stuff, doesn't come close to him in DDO.  He can grind an extra point of damage out of swords like Scotty could grind an extra bit of power out of the Enterprize.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 02:40:53 pm »

You forgot SCS. I wish to obliterate you all with Stinger-2's while simultaneously giving you a harrier ulcer. I want close combat maneuvering, I want to do in game what that SSD shows "this is what your ship looks like after being hit by stingers". And 20 is waaay low. I mean, you can get 30 in mechwarrior living legends, and that's a player run server system.

See . . . I loved attrion units.  Carriers and all that fun stuff were like Trek mixed with every other cool SciFi war story.   but the AI was SO UTTERLY RETARDED that after a which I stopped bothering with attrition unit-based ships.   

It's what I liked about the X1 Ships we put in the SGO mob, it'd let you fly something in late era that could hang but wasn't a carrier.

A modern game with better AI might handle carriers better, SFC just sucked at it.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 10:10:51 pm »
I got a hold of Bearslayer, he is kind of limited on bandwidth, but mentioned he will try and gt over here.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Capt_Bearslayer_XC

• "Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm easily distracted by shiney things."
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 08:12:43 pm »
*GRUMBLE GRUMBLE*  who is calling me?!?!?!?

Whadda ya want?

Get off my LAWN!!

Damn kids....
Political Correctness is really Political Censorship

A tax code should exist to procure the funds necessary for the operation of government, not to manipulate human or business behavior.

A nocens dies in loricatus est melior quam a bonus dies procul opus.

A bad peace is even worse than war."  --  Tacitus

"We thought we could resolve the system's problems by rationing services or injecting massive amounts of new money into it" -Claude Castonguay

Offline Capt_Bearslayer_XC

• "Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm easily distracted by shiney things."
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 08:29:45 pm »
Can't say I lurk much... been much more active off line then on line...  helps that I am on limited bandwidth... back in school also....  Still doing the SCA thing. 

Been engaged... not anymore.  :P

She decided she couldn't move down here to TN from OH.  So we are kaput...

Where da white women?

Political Correctness is really Political Censorship

A tax code should exist to procure the funds necessary for the operation of government, not to manipulate human or business behavior.

A nocens dies in loricatus est melior quam a bonus dies procul opus.

A bad peace is even worse than war."  --  Tacitus

"We thought we could resolve the system's problems by rationing services or injecting massive amounts of new money into it" -Claude Castonguay

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 12:05:49 am »

Where da white women?

Not in NJ, the whores here are all orange now.