Topic: Trouble with Tribbles  (Read 1777 times)

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
Trouble with Tribbles
« on: December 30, 2012, 12:11:44 am »
A big to-do on the official Star Trek site over the weekend regarding Tribbles, but I have an interesting question that I'd like to pose to people here.

The first draft of the Script "The Trouble with Tribbles" had originally wanted John Colicos to reprise his role as Kor, and for Roger C. Carmel to reprise his role as Harcourt Fenton Mudd.  It was determined early on that Colicos was unavailable for shooting, so they cast William Campbell to play Koloth.  At the same time, they also decided, for whatever reason, to write Mudd out of the script and bring in Cyrano Jones, played by Stanley Adams.

Now:  What would the episode had been like, had those familiar faces been available, or left in the script.  Do you think it would have been better or worse?  Personally I like the character of Harry Mudd, I think he'd make a great addition to a future Star Trek Reboot.  He's a character that, while he's definitely an antagonist to the Enterprise Crew, he's not a villain.  And seeing Kor and Kirk again together... that would have been something, the two of them made a great foil for each other in "Errand of Mercy".
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Villa64

• NCC-64E
  • Captain
  • Knuckle Dragger
Re: Trouble with Tribbles
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 09:56:55 am »
I liked the character of Koloth.  It was played much more campy than Korea, and I think would have been very suitable as a recurring villain for Kirk to match wits with...the ST version of Dr Loveless.

Kor might have been an interesting replacement as Kang later on, just an opinion.  Still love those TOS episodes, though.  Saw one the other day and I think that Kirk should have gone back with the insect queen to the accelerated planet.
Engaging the precious snowflakes of the world.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
Re: Trouble with Tribbles
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 11:22:26 am »
I would have liked to see any of those Klingons re-appear on TOS. My memory's foggy on this, but wasn't Kang a substitute in "Day of the Dove"? That said, I agree that while Kor returning in "Tribbles" would have been interesting, it did open the door for other Klingons.

Mudd, though... As much as it was nice to see him again, if he had shown up in "Tribbles" you would have instantly known he was up to no good. Cyrano seems more hapless and bumbling, while Mudd is conniving.