Topic: Windows 8  (Read 17311 times)

Offline vonfrank

• Lt. Junior Grade
Windows 8
« on: March 22, 2013, 09:00:17 am »
SFC3 Installs correctly on windows 8, and the game starts as well. I can see the opening movies and hear the music. But once I get to the main menu, it is just a black screen. I can see the moue and hear the menu music, but the screen is totally blank no matter what I do. Trying the compatibility modes (win XP or 7) does not help. Any suggestions? Does SFC3 simply not work on Windows 8?

Offline vonfrank

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 11:14:37 am »
Nope, didnt work.

I have SFC3 installed on my laptop (windows 7) and it has no problems, the only issue is on my windows 8 PC.
Interestingly enough, Armada 2 has the exact same problem, the game starts but shows a blank screen on the main menu.

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 09:19:07 pm »
Linux and WINE is the answer.  I'm running Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon with WINE set up to treat .exes as if they're under Win98.  OP runs no problem at 1024x768.
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline privatepile

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 01:31:59 pm »
I have a solution to your problem,I also had the same problem

(1)Download VMWare Player its freeware,Its basically lets you run an OS from within an OS,
(2)Get a copy of Ubuntu (Also Free) and the red wine app (also free) or a copy of XP

Install XP or Ununtu through VMWare and then just drag and drop the game and it will run perfectly,I have an i5 processor and can play it perfectly,I would imagine you would need a pretty decent processor for this to work

Offline shunter101

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 01:30:10 pm »
I have a solution to your problem,I also had the same problem

(1)Download VMWare Player its freeware,Its basically lets you run an OS from within an OS,
(2)Get a copy of Ubuntu (Also Free) and the red wine app (also free) or a copy of XP

Install XP or Ununtu through VMWare and then just drag and drop the game and it will run perfectly,I have an i5 processor and can play it perfectly,I would imagine you would need a pretty decent processor for this to work

Hello:

Until a Win8 solution is found, the above method using XP works fine. I had no issues installing VMware or XP via VMware on my win8 64 bit machine.  In fact, I would recommend the XP way versus Ubuntu and the red wine app. Ubuntu installed fine, but red wine had major issues (dependency issues and wanted me to uninstall a list of programs)  and would not install. The last thing I wanted to do is to waste time trouble shooting. It took about 30 minutes  in total to install VMware+XP +SFC3, I have not downloaded any XP patches etc; SFC3 worked right after XP was loaded. Thanks for the advice Privatepile.

Best,
Shunter

Offline privatepile

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 11:43:24 am »
Glad i could help,I agree Red Wine was a nightmare the only reason i mentioned it was for people who could not get a copy of XP

Offline Czar Mohab

• Faith manages.
  • Lt.
  • Chewie - Go jiggle the handle!
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 02:38:27 am »
A little off topic but does anyone know a site where I can purchase a real genuine copy of XP Pro 64bit. The one that would allow me to utilize 16gig ram.
I have a 32bit XP home edition that I use in VMWare on my Win7 rig. I tried winging it and purchased a 64bit Prof. online from this fishy website, I got screwed, they took my money and made other charges to my credit card(identity theft crisis). I really want one but don't know what site is worthy and honorable. Any ideas guys.

Adam

Might just ask Micro$oft directly.

Also, amazon.com *might* have it. eBay *should* have it (although more shady than amazon, usually, when dealing with software). newegg and tigerdirect used to have it, but neither currently carries XP discs.

Lastly, you might be able to find it in local, small business style PC shops.

The Czar
US Navy Veteran - Proud to Serve
Submariners Do It Underwater - Nukes Do It Back Aft - Pride Runs Deep
Have you thanked a Vet lately?

Subaru Owners Do It Horizontally Opposed!
Proud Owner - '08 WRX - '03 Baja - '98 Legacy

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 02:46:56 am »
I know there's a hole in the wall computer shop down the street that is still building systems with Windows XP.  I don't know if they are selling the software on its own though.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 12:52:26 pm »
I'm with you Adam, I've been looking for XP Pro now for ever. If I find something, I'll let ya know.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 02:53:15 pm »
I remember something about buying a higher version of windows (higher than xp) and having the option to downgrade to windows xp pro...
Maybe you could find something in that line.
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline maelstorm

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 11:04:23 pm »
Hmm. Do tell, I have never heard of that option...

Adam

it has to do with windows licencing scheme microsoft uses.  As long as you have a valid licence you can use that license to run any older version of windows on it.  so for example, you purchased or built a new pc.  you purchase the newest windows version (currently 8).  Under that licence you may install any previous version of windows (yes even windows 3.1).  however you will need to find a way of activating those windows installations. (keys so it will install ect.)  if M$ decides to audit you, you just need to show them your licence for windows on that pc.

Offline Czar Mohab

• Faith manages.
  • Lt.
  • Chewie - Go jiggle the handle!
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 08:38:08 pm »
Hmm. Do tell, I have never heard of that option...

Adam

Quote from: Micro$oft
Downgrade rights are an end-user right, documented in the Software License Terms that customers accept upon first running Windows software. Thanks to downgrade rights, end users who have acquired a more recent version of the software (such as Windows 8 Pro) can use a prior version of the software (such as Windows 7 Professional) until they are ready to move to the more recent version. Not all products include downgrade rights. But if a product includes downgrade rights, the license terms for that product will indicate which prior versions of the software may be used.

So what exactly do I need to do,  :crazy2:

Adam

Go here

Problem is, you still need the XP Pro x64 disc & product key. *AND* Win8 does not allow a downgrade to XP... Coworker just bought a Win 8 laptop and hates the OS, so I've already done this legwork for you ;) Win 7 Pro and Ultimate seem OK to go to XP Pro, if that helps.

The Czar
US Navy Veteran - Proud to Serve
Submariners Do It Underwater - Nukes Do It Back Aft - Pride Runs Deep
Have you thanked a Vet lately?

Subaru Owners Do It Horizontally Opposed!
Proud Owner - '08 WRX - '03 Baja - '98 Legacy

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 10:51:00 pm »
That is awesome to know Maelstrom. I had no idea about that.

I have an old 486, and 3.1 on a disk somewhere. I may just start having some old DOS madness.

Yeah yeah, there is always GOG, but to go with the original crap and all the headaches that involved. Hmm. I wonder if my MFM drives are still running.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 06:11:50 am »
Quote from: Captain Adam
(...) never heard of that option...

Just saved your day  :)
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline maelstorm

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 09:20:10 am »
That is awesome to know Maelstrom. I had no idea about that.

I have an old 486, and 3.1 on a disk somewhere. I may just start having some old DOS madness.

Yeah yeah, there is always GOG, but to go with the original crap and all the headaches that involved. Hmm. I wonder if my MFM drives are still running.

Stephen

I've somewhat recently restarted playing some old dos games.  Instead of getting that old box working just use dosbox.  it's working flawlessly for me at the moment with every old dos game i've tossed at it.

Ouch adam sorry to hear that happened. :(   It' not going to be easy to find a copy of xp64x  best bet would be ebay atleast ratings on there would keep people from messing you over.  at worst you could buy the licence key there and find an iso of it.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 10:45:11 am »
Adam, have you tried here, it's worth a shot but IMHO it's one step away from Ebay:

http://www.pricewatch.com/price/software_oper_system/windows_xp_professional

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 11:17:18 am by Javora »

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 06:36:12 pm »
Two of the places I had bookmarked had went out of business but were still accepting orders (taking money).  When I checked them against Resellerratings.com I noticed that and made the changes so you didn't get caught up in that.  But if you prefer I can leave it as originally posted in the future.

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 07:12:43 pm »
So would this technique work with SFC2 & OP?

Any success on getting a copy of xp?

Offline Kid Carrson

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 04:44:23 pm »
In our businesses, we've used KVM switches and multiple machines (with different operating systems) at each station for years.  It works pretty damn well overall for us!

We still buy new XP Pro machines from a great EBAY vendor named Flourish Computers.  The owner, Philip, has done great work for us for years.  A link to his site is:  http://stores.ebay.com/FLOURISH-COMPUTER?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Since we just phased out the last of our Windows 98SE machines this year (we still have 1 in service) in our businesses, I'd guess we'll have XP Pro machines available for at least another decade.

I'd bet that you can also get decent cheap used XP Pro machines through Ebay if you wanted.

Just my 2 cents.

KC

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 05:30:00 pm »
I am in the process of building a new high-end work machine and may try the dual-boot approach; I'll post successes if I have any.

I did get OP installed on a Win8 laptop (easily), and have played a few games, but there were an equal number of crashes. Funny, it crashes more after the 2.5.5.2 upgrade went in, the OP dll update won't run, and I can't change the "windowed=1" line in the sfc.ini and savie it as "sfc.ini"