Topic: 3D printing  (Read 1608 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
3D printing
« on: May 06, 2013, 05:33:15 pm »
Link to full article

According to the article Staples is going to be selling a 3D printer capable of printing objects as big as a 5.5" cube for $1300.  I wonder if this will be the beginning of a new art form.  Hobbyist model makers distributing their plans, artist designing and printing new types of sculptures etc.  More than just the "plastic gun" in recent news.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
Re: 3D printing
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 05:44:05 pm »
I can see this helping miniature wargamers. Shapeways http://www.shapeways.com/ has been big in this market for awhile.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: 3D printing
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 09:49:48 pm »
There are a good number of 3D printers currently available, from several companies.  A couple are in the $500 or so range.  Price varies widely, as does the resolution/print quality of the various machines.

And yeah, this'd be a great way to knock out that fleet/horde of miniatures for whatever game you have in mind.  Assuming you can afford the printer, software, and materials that is!

The trick is to accurately model whatever you want to print.  Of course, we have some modelers here, so if we could get them to make the proper shape files...