Topic: Discussion on Models  (Read 42348 times)

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
Re: Discussion on Models
« Reply #120 on: June 04, 2013, 12:54:04 am »
I would say that we script a base hit probability based on how advanced they areand then add additional variables that raise or lower the chances of a hit and let the math do the rest. Speed can also vary based on how advanced they are. TMP torps should be slower then TNG torps but still faster then the ships. They should be at least twice as fast as the ship they are tracking and probably no more then 3X as fast.

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
« Reply #121 on: June 04, 2013, 08:53:20 am »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 01:44:39 pm by Captain Adam »
Odo :    
"Being accused of a crime is not a disgrace, Chief. Some of the great figures of history have shared the honour with you."
to O'Brien
DS9 : Tribunal

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #122 on: June 04, 2013, 10:54:22 am »
Well that's the point of scripting instead of coding them.

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #123 on: June 04, 2013, 01:25:51 pm »
Yah I now, some of you want everything scripted.  We could do the entire game is LUA, so everything is scripted.  You may need a Cray to run it.

I have done alot of google searches on the weapons, except for damage very little change in range or speed between TOS, TMP, TNG etc.

Most dat such as damage etc are not :hard" coded in the game but will be stored in another media.  This media moders will have access to to create their own. 

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #124 on: June 08, 2013, 10:49:18 pm »
Right now I am working on model loading.  As we will focus on .x format, probably coded in Blender, I need to work out the translation vector.  Problem is I do not have a .x model created in Blender.  I do not need textures, just a model that will tell me what coordinate the bow is on. 

Sort of a standard for models.

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #125 on: June 16, 2013, 09:11:45 am »
I am working on loading models and having them properly locate.  But, to do this correct I need a model centered and the axis defined as our statndard.  I look at some sample models I have with blender and the ship is not even centered in blender. 

Offline TheStressPuppy

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • trekmods.com
« Reply #126 on: June 17, 2013, 02:48:02 am »
Once i get my models packaged up ill send them. they all should be centered properly. Sorry its taking so long lots of RL stuff going on. I am assuming the Z axis according to 3ds max is up, or is it the X axis? ether way can orient accordingly.

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #127 on: June 17, 2013, 09:17:20 am »
We use Left hand rule, DirectX, so X is right, Y is up and z is inward into the screen.

However I can re orientate if I know how the model is set up.

And which axis the bow is on.

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #128 on: June 17, 2013, 09:55:12 am »
Why is DX set different to standard XYZ stuff?

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #129 on: June 17, 2013, 10:50:51 am »
For graphics display it is generally the Left hand or Right hand system, Directx uses left hand.  That means +X is to the right, +Y is up and +Z is inward into the monitor (away from you).  The coordinate system for programs like blender, Studio Max etc do not use that.  I can rotate it easily enough but I need a base model with the the coordinate system the model programs use as a standard.  For example blender uses Y to the right, Z up and X outward.  I am fine with it we just need all models the same.

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #130 on: June 17, 2013, 11:03:47 am »
I believe that when a program like max or blender exports to .X format they automatically convert the model from 1 setup to the other as part of the export process.

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #131 on: June 17, 2013, 11:20:49 am »
Blender is a right hand coordinate system and directx is a left hand.  Would be simple except the .x exporter from Blender may or may not switch,  plus most packages allow you to change some of the coordinates.   

The isisue is I need a model with a known system, that will be our standard.

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #132 on: June 17, 2013, 11:55:03 am »
Why wouldn't the exporter change it? The different coordinate system is fundamental to the .X format according to the information you provided. If the exporter should change the system from what the DCC program uses to the models format uses because this is part of its basic function. Do you have any reason to suspect the exporters are busted?

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #133 on: June 17, 2013, 12:15:26 pm »
Other than I tried once at it did not work, no.

But I took a milkshape model imported into blender the exported to .x and the rotation is all wrong.

I am testing models on line, anything, but need one for blender that is centered and ready to go.  then I can export in .x and work on it. 

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #134 on: June 17, 2013, 12:29:25 pm »
Just tested.

Obtained .x model from XNA  orientation is left

milkshape model orientation left

3ds model orientation left

the milkshape model converted to .x,  orientation shifted 90 degrees.

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #135 on: June 17, 2013, 12:50:34 pm »
So based on that info I would infer that reorientating the model will be part of the export process. Is there any documentation with these exporters that specifies the need changes or is it going to need to be done by process of elimination?

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #136 on: June 17, 2013, 01:03:50 pm »
I have not found anything, so I am going through process of elimination.  Thing is I have tried some 3ds models and they are all over the place.  I do know blender used right hand (OpenGL default)  so I am thinking on that being the standard and build in a rotation for any model.  Not sure this can modable as too many things relating to the camera, physics and collision detection depend on proper coordinate systems.

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #137 on: June 17, 2013, 01:25:15 pm »
I don't think that needs to be modable. In fact this is one of those things that I think needs to be standardized so we can tell model makers "if you are using DCC X use process Y for exporting and if you are using DCC A use process B.

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #138 on: June 17, 2013, 01:36:06 pm »
Agreed.

I am trying to figure something out as I am at a stand still without this, the models do not match, and this affects the graphic display, setting the cameras up and the physics engine.

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #139 on: June 17, 2013, 01:38:47 pm »
Shall we use blender as the standard modeller, expporting to .x?   Anyone may use what they wish but up to them to match blenders format