Topic: Weapons and gear discussion  (Read 3989 times)

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
Weapons and gear discussion
« on: June 05, 2013, 09:14:43 am »
Originally and in my desing I planned on gear bein swappable and upgraded.  But I was thinking of something else the last few days.

Each ship comes with stock weapons suitable to the class of ship.  For example a Frigate may have MK I gear, and a cruiser MK V, just as an example.  This does not change.  But, through research, or a starbase upgrades, the install gear is upgraded.  The upgrades could include thing specific to the item being upgraded.  Phasers could be range, damage output, special effects, energy required.  This is probably more canon.  And easier to maintain and possibly mod.  And a custom devnce would just mod the phaser and change the mod name.

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
Re: Weapons and gear discussion
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 10:03:08 am »
What kind of upgrades specifically are you thinking because from a technical standpoint there already are some existing delineations to things like phasers and warp cores.

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 11:52:47 am »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 01:50:12 pm by Captain Adam »
Odo :    
"Being accused of a crime is not a disgrace, Chief. Some of the great figures of history have shared the honour with you."
to O'Brien
DS9 : Tribunal

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 12:14:09 pm »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 01:49:55 pm by Captain Adam »
Odo :    
"Being accused of a crime is not a disgrace, Chief. Some of the great figures of history have shared the honour with you."
to O'Brien

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 12:15:41 pm »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 01:49:47 pm by Captain Adam »
Odo :    
to O'Brien

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 12:20:11 pm »
The base idea, the engineers, and in O'Brians case, CPO, they made upgrades or enhancements and fixes (defiant) to systems.  So we incorporate it.  And expand it.

So, ships have the standard load out of gear.  My thought being that phasers are phasers.  The difference being how many a ship can carry.  We bring up the research aspect that allows the onboard engineers and scientist to learn new things.  And then apply this to the phasers.  Increase efficiency, decrease the energy required.  Increase damage, range etc. 

An example, stock phaser, the improvements are range, efficiency, damage, recharge time.   Each can be upgraded and each upgrade improves 0.5 %.  And we allow 10 upgrades in each areas,

So a phaser could be up yo 5% better in each area.

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 05:46:44 pm »
Using phasers as an example there are 12 different deployed types of standard phasers. Types 1-3 are hand weapons. 4-7 are essentially the TOS/SFU phasers. They are used mainly on shuttles in TNG. 8-12 are the main ship, station, and planetary defense phasers. Danubes have type 8s, Ambassadors have type 9s, Mk1 Galaxies have type10s, DS9 has type9s and type11s, Sovereigns have type12s. So the breakdown doesn't work quite as extensively as your list Adam.

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 06:29:51 pm »
Bringing out the hardest part of the desing.  So much detail and if we want this to work we need to try a accommodate it.

Lucky for me the design is expandable :)

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 06:37:20 pm »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 01:49:31 pm by Captain Adam »
Odo :    
to O'Brien

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 06:42:20 pm »
One question I have is will we be able to steal weapons from other ships?  This might prevent a cookie cutter game play and have people know what to expect as soon as they see an opposing ship.

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 06:52:01 pm »
I would say yes, but it should require the expertise to do so.  This would be in the research area of the crew to develop this.  For example tey obtain gear from another race, then they would allocate the research to be able to do this.   This would compensate for the time to figure it out and install it, like a cloak on the enterprise.