Topic: SFC 1 Modification Problems  (Read 4197 times)

Offline ogoptimus

• Ensign
SFC 1 Modification Problems
« on: June 22, 2013, 03:30:02 pm »
Forgive me if this is out of place or so stupid as to be laughable.

I'm having issues modifying SFC1 Gold ships.
I have tried using both ShipEdit v2.0 and just opening and sfbspc13.txt directly (in the assets\specs directory).
I can add a new ship to the file, no problem.
But when I try and use that new ship in a skrimish mission, the game crashes to the desktop.
This even happens when all I do is copy an existing ship to a new slot and just change the designation (e.g. F-CA to F-CD).

A few other interesting notes are:
1. When I rename/remove sfbspc13.txt, the game still knows all the ship stats.  How is that possible?
2. Even when I modify an existing ship, if I keep the name the same, the stats don't change.

This is so easy in SFC2 and OP, I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
I am playing version 1.02.01 and using the CD (maybe that's the source of my problems).

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 10:14:12 pm by ogoptimus »

Offline Czar Mohab

• Faith manages.
  • Lt.
  • Chewie - Go jiggle the handle!
Re: SFC 1 Modification Problems
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 09:48:24 pm »
Heh. Had to think on this one. Its been a while.

With SFC1, I am fairly certain that you can't actually add a new ship but can edit and rename existing ships. This one I will have to test myself and verify. If I'm wrong I'll come back and edit this out, and leave it as is if I'm right. ;)

If all you do is edit a ship and still experience no stat changes, make your modifications, then start a new campaign (I don't think race matters. I also don't think that saving the game matters so you should be able to just quit right back to the main menu, but a save never hurts), then quit the campaign and go into skirmish (or stay in the campaign).  This *should* reload/refresh the sfbspc13.txt into the game, giving you your modifications.

The Czar
US Navy Veteran - Proud to Serve
Submariners Do It Underwater - Nukes Do It Back Aft - Pride Runs Deep
Have you thanked a Vet lately?

Subaru Owners Do It Horizontally Opposed!
Proud Owner - '08 WRX - '03 Baja - '98 Legacy