Topic: 2D Images  (Read 4137 times)

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
2D Images
« on: June 24, 2013, 10:35:39 pm »
Naturally we will require 2D images for the game.  But I find the same images get boring.  So what I propose is to allow a list of images, 9 lets say, for each area.  For example the splash screen, the image that appears in ship/mission selection.  Then the game will randomly pick one of them.   And of course the intent is to allow what these images are to be customizable.

There may be hundreds of 2D images due to this methodology.  For now I put things in the database.  If another comes to focus on LUA, we can see how to create such lists there.

And not just images, but text that appears also.

Offline Czar Mohab

• Faith manages.
  • Lt.
  • Chewie - Go jiggle the handle!
Re: 2D Images
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 11:17:20 pm »
Maybe make a couple of them "unlockable" for reaching certain points/achievements in the game? Just a thought.

The Czar
US Navy Veteran - Proud to Serve
Submariners Do It Underwater - Nukes Do It Back Aft - Pride Runs Deep
Have you thanked a Vet lately?

Subaru Owners Do It Horizontally Opposed!
Proud Owner - '08 WRX - '03 Baja - '98 Legacy

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 09:51:23 am »
What specific part of the game are we talking about?

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 06:17:19 pm »
The entire game, all the way from the splash screen at start-up until the ending credits, which will be unchangeable

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 07:13:00 pm »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 01:53:05 pm by Captain Adam »
Odo :    
"Being accused of a crime is not a disgrace, Chief. Some of the great figures of history have shared the honour with you."
to O'Brien
DS9 : Tribunal

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 08:54:32 pm »
So we are talking about UI and interface portions, not the in space parts part of the UI and backgrounds?

Offline Czar Mohab

• Faith manages.
  • Lt.
  • Chewie - Go jiggle the handle!
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 09:25:54 pm »
... I don't think we should have to achieve a certain level to obtain the right to change these images. ...

No no no no no.

Not unlockable just to change them.

I understood this thread as: We have X screens from opening splash through to end credits. Each screen will have 0<Y<10 pictures (typically Y≈5; some places may only have 1; others such as opening splash and end credits may have 1 for each race, etc.) randomly selected and displayed.

All I am suggesting is have a handful of events (such as completing a campaign, making a certain number of kills, etc.) to allow some of the screens to have Y+1 (per event) pictures to choose from.

You are right, Adam - locking all the pictures and keeping them from changing is silly, especially since it seems that it is planned for them to rotate on their own out of the box :)

I only suggest this as it seems that everyone is hung up on achievements within their games (see practically any Steam game). Its just a thought to cater to that audience. Obviously, it doesn't have to be included; something like this would give the modding community something else to do ;)

The Czar
US Navy Veteran - Proud to Serve
Submariners Do It Underwater - Nukes Do It Back Aft - Pride Runs Deep
Have you thanked a Vet lately?

Subaru Owners Do It Horizontally Opposed!
Proud Owner - '08 WRX - '03 Baja - '98 Legacy

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 09:38:20 am »
1.  The screen rotation is categorized, for example the mission selection would select one of the backgrounds designed for this.  Separate than lets say one for spacedock or even the splash screen.  Right now the only on not changeable is the credits, and if I decide to put some work into that area, then it would change.

2.  I never thought about achievements.  I see them in World of Warcraft and on the steam games.  The question is how to compliment.  There must bo a goal, but where is that goal define?  Bing able to select the screen displayed for achieving one is fairly easy.  Somehow I would like the achievements modable. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 10:31:20 am by [UFP]Exeter »

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 10:09:36 pm »
Why not just render models?
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 10:34:17 am »
In most of these 2D screens there would be no need unless we create some autorotation.

For the ship selection, to display the selected model and autorotate would be great.