Topic: Monthly Update June/July  (Read 2012 times)

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
Monthly Update June/July
« on: June 30, 2013, 12:03:57 pm »
I have been busy at work and holding design conversations.

Some decisions: 
1. Models will be in .x format with .dds compression level 5.  This will be the standard for models distributed with the game.  Moders will be able to use other formats, for example .3ds etc.  Blender is not a supported format but the .x export is.

2.  Model orientation, pitch about the y axis, roll about x axis and yaw about the z axis,  The bow should be facing the +x axis.

3.  Game moding, will enable the use of scripts.  This may be done in LUA or C#.  Not programming customization will be the ability to replace nearly every single graphics background, and the ability to replace and add models.  Missions can also be designed and added. 

4.  Will use both C++ and C#.  The critical performance sections will be in C++, for example the 3D graphics rendering, and the physics including collision.  The rest will be in c#.  A design model mentioned by Herb Sutter of Microsoft.

4.  I have had issues with the wrapper for bullet physics and no reply for a week.  This tells me the wrapper is not kept current.  There are issues getting the wrapper to work for the last few versions and we really need version 3 of bullet.  I do not want to settle for a substandard game, so going to C++ exclusively.

5.  There were some design problems discovered in what I was doing.  I had the game loop setup, but adding in game states created glitches and was not smooth.  This necessitated some redesign of the game engine.  The work done thus far is still usable, but the structure needs to change.

6.  The game will use multi-thread.  It will be designed on a system with 4 core, two threads each and then the test platform will be dual core.  Also, the GPU enhanced processing will be enabled for the Physics/collision.  This means the GPU must be DirectX 11 capable.

7.  Directx11 will be preferred but Directx9 supported, but the GPU must be DirectX 11 capable.

8.  Current discussion are [primarily around the scale.  Other discussions will arrive one the game development is at a state it can be tested.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 06:17:55 pm by [UFP]Exeter »

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
Re: Monthly Update June/July
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 04:09:28 pm »
I am having major issues with the Bullet wrapper, ir I cannot get this to work (bug submitted) I will rethink as I am ready to integrate the physics.

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
Re: Monthly Update June/July
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 06:18:25 pm »
updated