Topic: Interesting news  (Read 13319 times)

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
Interesting news
« on: July 08, 2013, 10:23:28 pm »
some interesting news.

As mentioned prior some issues with the Bullet physics wrapper.  But the physics itself is c++ and being upgraded to fully utilized the GPU for FAST physics and collision.  It works just about everywhere.

Also, Steam (owned by Valve) is looking at Linux as their CEO really dislikes Win 8.   For games I have to agree and playing with the OS for a week I have to say I no longer despise it, I really hate it.  A downgrade is in the works.

I also was accepted to develop using the Steam SDK, this provides much greater MMO like playability that Dyna.  Not saying we will use it but it as an option.  This is only the network.

The issue with dyna is how to make it work.  We may have the dyna codebase but I have not seen it.  We have the dyna client code in EAW but that is like taking parts from a VW to fix a Ferrari.  If we must, Boost libraries have a generic code base to use.  In a way this decision is up to the powers that be, as to wether we use dyna servers,  just servers with new code or other options.

Offline Strat

• Retired
  • EAW Update Crew
  • Lt. Commander
Re: Interesting news
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 10:25:24 pm »
This is excellent news!!!!

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 10:55:25 pm »
windows 8 ain't bad, just that it works really well for tablets atm.  8.1 that comes out soon brings back boot to desktop and the start menu - so essentially windows 7
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 10:22:22 am »
<rant>
not to sidetrack this with Windows8 stuff, but, what the hell people. I'm sitting on a Win8 machine all day. There's a "Start" button. It brings up a "Start" menu. Yes, the menu looks different like it's meant for a tablet but it works the same if not better. Once I get past that menu, I'm working in software that works just the same as WinXP. And, for the record, that's editing and compositing HD video for a living, not playing "Minecraft."

And while it might get upgraded, it's sure as heck not going away...
<end rant>

Looking forward to moving forward

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 11:24:19 am »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 01:56:42 pm by Captain Adam »
Odo :    
"Being accused of a crime is not a disgrace, Chief. Some of the great figures of history have shared the honour with you."
to O'Brien
DS9 : Tribunal

Offline maelstorm

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 12:15:39 pm »
I hope people don't start panicking when the LCARS comes out :angel:
Moving forward is a must.

Why aren't you running it now?

http://www.lcarsx32.com/lcars/index.php

LCARS x32 - Star Trek Windows Shell Interface - Weekly Build 5-14-09

here it is using a touchscreen monitor and voice commands
Star Trek TNG LCARS Voice and Touch Demonstration

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 03:13:53 pm »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 01:56:34 pm by Captain Adam »
Odo :    
"Being accused of a crime is not a disgrace, Chief. Some of the great figures of history have shared the honour with you."
to O'Brien
DS9 : Tribunal

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 06:53:32 pm »
Also, Steam (owned by Valve) is looking at Linux as their CEO really dislikes Win 8.   For games I have to agree and playing with the OS for a week I have to say I no longer despise it, I really hate it.  A downgrade is in the works.

I also was accepted to develop using the Steam SDK, this provides much greater MMO like playability that Dyna.  Not saying we will use it but it as an option.  This is only the network.

Steam is on Linux now. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 07:28:29 pm »
Win 8,is fine on a touchscreen, but I have a great laptop and it does not do touch.   I have win 8, and my biggest complaint I HATE THE F***ING APPS, I have a C O M P U T E R not a tablet.  That is my complaint, win 8 breat for tablet, but trying to make the tablet and the PC the same OS?   retarded.

Yes steam is on Linux now, but have not tried it out.  Only makes a different related to the method chosen and as I said that is in the powers that be.  Not important yet as the main game needs to be ready first.

but more important than win 8 is to SSD or not to SSD

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 07:48:53 pm »

So monitors with scratches and fingerprints on them is the way of the future.  Great.....

Offline maelstorm

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 11:23:57 pm »
Win 8,is fine on a touchscreen, but I have a great laptop and it does not do touch.   I have win 8, and my biggest complaint I HATE THE F***ING APPS, I have a C O M P U T E R not a tablet.  That is my complaint, win 8 breat for tablet, but trying to make the tablet and the PC the same OS?   retarded.

i belive later this month there will be a patch that will bring back the start menu and you can set desktop as your home.

untill then there is always Classicshell : http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/

i'm using that and i never touch the start page.

Offline maelstorm

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 11:24:48 pm »

So monitors with scratches and fingerprints on them is the way of the future.  Great.....

also let's not forget food/fingerpaints and other grime from young children playing with the computer.

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 04:48:25 am »
The start screen doesn't bother me. What does is the completely non-intuitive way to power down the computer. MS took the unified interface a little too far by leaving a power icon off the start screen and the desktop.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline maelstorm

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 08:40:32 am »
The start screen doesn't bother me. What does is the completely non-intuitive way to power down the computer. MS took the unified interface a little too far by leaving a power icon off the start screen and the desktop.

i'ts still easy to do.

1. Move the mouse to lower right hand corner.
2. click gear.
3. click shudtown.
4. click the option of shutdown/reboot/logoff.

VS
1. move the mouse to lower left hand corner.
2. click the start button.
3. click shutdown.

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 10:27:12 am »
I have the 8.1 preview and the start button only pops to the apps from desktop.  There is the option to set which way you start, but as usueal microsoft listened and did what they wanted in a half ass way.

ME almost made me abandorn windows and not this!   It is getting harder to justify.  And with the abandon of technet, testing things before I buy just got very expensive.

Tiime to see if I can get drivers for linux on this!

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 03:35:57 pm »

i'ts still easy to do.

1. Move the mouse to lower right hand corner.
2. click gear.
3. click shudtown.

VS
1. move the mouse to lower left hand corner.
2. click the start button.
3. click shutdown.

It is easy once you know about it.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 05:53:04 pm »
(I hate finding myself leaping to MS's defense, but...)

With Win8 You still have a COMPUTER, not a tablet. It will run several programs at once, you can Alt+Tab between them, there's a desktop where you can pile up all those icons if you're one of those users and once you're past that "annoying Start screen" it acts like any other computer. I know there are some more important changes that gear-heads have gone on about, like the missing F9 during boot (8.1 is supopsed to fix some of that, but Win8 sure ain't a tablet OS.

Here's something your pre-Win8 pc won't do -

tap the WinKey and type the first letters of the program you're looking for. I almost never use Paint but needed it the other day. WinKey + "PA" and boom, there it was
or
WinKey + "X" (at the same time) brings up an advanced menu with all sorts things like device manager, power management, Task manager, command prompt, a whole mess of stuff.

I'm willing to bet now that in 5 years all computers will be touchscreen

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 08:02:25 pm »
There is a place for touchscreen.  And there is a place where it is inappropriate.  MS screwed up inn deciding all OS's should be touchscreen.

If I could shut off the apps entirely I would be happy.  Apps have a purpose but were not intended for PC's that have the resources.

I have a newer gamin laptop with win 8, no touchscreen.  I have also had a touchscreen.  The touchscreen is fine, but the OS for it is not.  The OS is fast, but at what cost.  Consider, win * is slightly faster that Win 7, but lacks aero.  And other features.  So Win 8 is faster (slightly) because they lobotomised Win 8.

But does not matter, for the main goal here is te game, and the choices make it viable on Window 7  (and 8) and Linux.  Possible OSx but I have no way to chceck that.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 12:59:11 am »
again, 8.1 solves all your gripes with win 8, adds boot to desktop, adds start button functionality.  You do not need to even access the new front end with 8.1, or 'apps' (btw, those apps can be full fledge programs, their store just centralizes it... hell if you're used to steam its the same premise as that) unless you want to. 
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2013, 12:07:39 pm »
Al the complaints seem to be about interface. Whether they're called "apps" "programs" or "little desktop thingy that I click on to do something", it works all the same.
Computers are continuing to change. Like 64-bit, cloud computing, multidevice synchronization...

But please dear god, don't go Mac OSX. I've given them more than enough $$ over the years, thank you.