Topic: G*d frickin dammit - will someone please make this game seem old?  (Read 13815 times)

Offline RazalYllib

• Imperial Romulan Information Service-senior advisor
  • Lt.
    • IRIS
Re: G*d frickin dammit - will someone please make this game seem old?
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 06:04:17 pm »
And---

What is also funny about it...is my now 21 YO son and finally taken the time to learn the basics of the SFC engine and doing ok....more or less on an OP install w/ FS uber shiplist and model install...been a while since I even peeked at that variant.

The offspring remarked to me, he remembers me on the Mplayer PvP and DV for hours and hours and now understands the appeal of spending hours on the DV and also why I also keep loading it up, even if it just to assure myself that I can pilot a SpHwK-A  to out a fed DN+ under AI control at max difficulty.  I have failed at that metric on rare occasions, but a couple skirms usually gets me my sea legs back and it becomes near routine.

My only potentially negative critique is he has chosen to fly Klingon, rather than his bloodright to fly romulan...at least he didn't choose federation to begin exploring options once he grasped the basics.

His single player DV is on minimum diff and when he skirms on higher diff he has problems, but he is getting better, though he needs to stop flying at the F3 view and switch to F1 at the higher lvls, the tolerances for saber dancing late era are to narrow for that POV imho....but I am not a Klingon player by nature, but I can hold my own if I have cause to fly them...not to the skill of Kreug and the other default Klingon players in the community.

I have HIGH HOPES for CE and hope all the current issues are resolved (single player campaign) and an official link for the DL is posted.

Additionally, there is potential for CE to bring a new generation of players into the community by creation and distribution of a quality product which give the end user, a unique and pleasant experience available no where else.  This of course would mean participation in a DV w/ a reasonable amount of bells/whistles like web based, sql administered front end.  What Taldren made, and the community nurtured, has stood the test of time....its still fun.

Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand
Says "don't you see?"
Gotta make it somehow
On the dreams you still believe
Don't give it up
You got an empty cup
Only love can fill
Only love can fill

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 11:40:02 pm »
Yeah, wait a second... I think we are all on to something here. We need to do a server DH called Sons of Starfleet Command... I mean, most of us have kids that are old enough to play now, right? Dangle the carrot and we've got a full packed server with fresh young noobs ready to be blasted to bits!

Offline RazalYllib

• Lt.
    • IRIS
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2013, 07:23:29 am »
Don't know if the kids would participate.

BUT....there exists the ability to edit the shipname / AI name entries to include variants such as "Son of Frey"...

Says "don't you see?"
Gotta make it somehow
Don't give it up
You got an empty cup
Only love can fill
Only love can fill

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2013, 04:17:54 pm »
Unfortunately my son (22) prefers to play Gorns as they have, quote, "Properly mounted Plasma launchers"....

It's pretty easy to think one is playing well when using the best armed ships in the game.... not much skill required....

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline RazalYllib

• Lt.
    • IRIS
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 05:34:22 pm »
Properly mounted = LOL
Says "don't you see?"
Gotta make it somehow
Don't give it up
You got an empty cup
Only love can fill
Only love can fill

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2013, 11:46:54 am »
Yeah, wait a second... I think we are all on to something here. We need to do a server DH called Sons of Starfleet Command... I mean, most of us have kids that are old enough to play now, right? Dangle the carrot and we've got a full packed server with fresh young noobs ready to be blasted to bits!

Great idea . . .  if only the D2 worked with modern OSs.

Our final coffin nail will come next year when MS ends support for Windows XP.  No more security updates =  pretty much dead OS.

SFC is dead, long live SFC.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Vladimir

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2013, 04:19:58 pm »

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2013, 11:02:45 pm »
http://www.dynaverse.net/market/2-star-trek-starfleet-command-2-community-edition.html

Windows XP no longer required. Get yer game on, freaks.

:D

Until I see a Youtube video of two people actually successfully draft each other and run a mission I do not believe this.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2013, 07:38:44 pm »
http://www.dynaverse.net/market/2-star-trek-starfleet-command-2-community-edition.html

Windows XP no longer required. Get yer game on, freaks.

:D

I think most are talking about OP here not the CE anyway I still got mine installed on my XP HDD and will always.