Topic: So anyone still play?  (Read 81327 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: So anyone still play?
« Reply #200 on: January 27, 2014, 02:27:37 pm »
Did Lurch ever demonstrate superhuman strenght?  Herman did.

Well, he did used to pick people up by the scruff of the neck a lot. Besides, Lurch was in a movie with Paul Newman and  Robert Redford at the same time! Herman only managed to get into a movie with Joe Pesci and Ralph Macchio, so I think Lurch has him beat.

Who the actor starred with does not make him super strong. 

Herman as I recall acted as a car jack with one hand while changing a tire with the other.  Significantly stronger. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #201 on: January 27, 2014, 02:27:56 pm »
Didn't they state, or heavily imply, that Grandpa was Dracula?

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #202 on: January 27, 2014, 02:30:28 pm »
Did Lurch ever demonstrate superhuman strenght?  Herman did.

Well, he did used to pick people up by the scruff of the neck a lot. Besides, Lurch was in a movie with Paul Newman and  Robert Redford at the same time! Herman only managed to get into a movie with Joe Pesci and Ralph Macchio, so I think Lurch has him beat.

Who the actor starred with does not make him super strong. 

Herman as I recall acted as a car jack with one hand while changing a tire with the other.  Significantly stronger.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I cannot belive that you actually answered an internet argument with a reasoned response.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #203 on: January 27, 2014, 02:36:46 pm »

As I recall no.  Just a vampire (and magician). 

I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #204 on: January 27, 2014, 03:03:32 pm »

As I recall no.  Just a vampire (and magician).

This is from Wikipedia, so take it for what it's worth, but I though t I remembered this stuff:

*Grandpa's identity as Count Dracula is also alluded to in both the original series and The Munsters Today. In the 1965 episode "The Musician", Mr. Gateman refers to him as "Count Dracula" when he comes to dinner. In "The Fregosi Emerald", Grandpa refers to himself as Count Dracula to an operator in Transylvania. He is also referred to "The Count" various times in The Munsters Today, most notably in the season one episode "Farewell Grandpa" when the family find out he isn't an American citizen, with the threat of being deported back to Transylvania by the US Government. In the episode, and throughout The Munsters Today series Grandpa is referred to as 'Vladimir Dracula'.*

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #205 on: January 27, 2014, 03:29:55 pm »
Identity theft.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #206 on: January 27, 2014, 08:13:05 pm »
No Star Trek show had a consistant on going storyline until DS9 began emulating B5. In the '60's, Lost in Space had an on going storyline, sidetracked quite a bit, but always returned to consistantly.

Must admit that I haven't watched more than scattered episodes since I was a kid.  Even then I don't think that I saw them sequentially so any ongoing storyline was either not noticed by me or forgotten (beyond the get to Alpha Centauri bit). 

I am now watching it sequentially.  Interestingly Alpha and Proxima Centauri are referred to as a Binary Star when it is in fact a Trinary with Beta Centauri.

I'm watching episode 8 now and Professor Robinson is using a very modern looking headset to operate the chariots loud speaker, very slim and trim in design. 

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #207 on: January 28, 2014, 08:34:41 am »
No Star Trek show had a consistant on going storyline until DS9 began emulating B5. In the '60's, Lost in Space had an on going storyline, sidetracked quite a bit, but always returned to consistantly.

Must admit that I haven't watched more than scattered episodes since I was a kid.  Even then I don't think that I saw them sequentially so any ongoing storyline was either not noticed by me or forgotten (beyond the get to Alpha Centauri bit). 

I am now watching it sequentially.  Interestingly Alpha and Proxima Centauri are referred to as a Binary Star when it is in fact a Trinary with Beta Centauri.

I'm watching episode 8 now and Professor Robinson is using a very modern looking headset to operate the chariots loud speaker, very slim and trim in design.

They drifted away a lot more as the show went on, but the mission to get back home was about as cohesive as the mission to find Earth in the original BSG. It was there, but didn't factor into everything they did. A far as the headset mic, those or similar ones were invented for the space race (by Plantronics I believe?), so I'm not surprised they used what fancy new gadgets they could to make it look futuristic. IIRC the Proxima system was thought only to be a binary until not to long ago. Beta was known, but not as orbiting its brothers. Didn't the Hubble help with determining that?

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #208 on: January 28, 2014, 09:20:07 am »
I thought it was known to be a trinary further back than that. I don't remember ever hearing before that it was a binary. 

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #209 on: January 28, 2014, 09:44:16 am »
OK, I did some reading and I was mixed up. Alpha and Beta are the close binary system and Proxima (apparently) has yet to be closely defined as to its gravitational association with A&B. They are sure that it is a trinary system, but Proxima seems to be barely involved in it, at least until they can build a better device to measure the system. In the '60's they may not have been able to see A&B as separate, so Proxima became the companion star in a binary.

Offline OlBuzzard

• renegade
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #210 on: January 28, 2014, 10:05:12 am »
OK, I did some reading and I was mixed up. Alpha and Beta are the close binary system and Proxima (apparently) has yet to be closely defined as to its gravitational association with A&B. They are sure that it is a trinary system, but Proxima seems to be barely involved in it, at least until they can build a better device to measure the system. In the '60's they may not have been able to see A&B as separate, so Proxima became the companion star in a binary.

Yeah ...  I think you're right there Corb...  back in those days a lot of technology was really just making a break through. 
If you aim at nothing:  you WILL hit it every time !

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #211 on: January 28, 2014, 11:05:49 am »
OK, still wrong!  :D

Beta Centauri is a completely different star system (also a binary which was firmly confirmed in 1999, which is probably what I am remembering as "recently"). Alpha Centauri's two close stars are simply refered to a Alpha Centauri A and Alpha Centauri B. They can easily be distingished through good binoculars or a small telescope, so I don't know why they said it was a binary system even back then.

Offline OlBuzzard

• renegade
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #212 on: January 28, 2014, 12:29:10 pm »
Probably the key would be:  What was referred to as Alpha Centauri back in those days .. early 60's?  A ?  Was there an Alpha B back then?  Or is this just another writer's "liberty" at work?

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #213 on: January 28, 2014, 12:54:56 pm »
Could be just simple ignorance. In the TOS episode The Gamesters of Triskelion, Uhura is worried about how the Enterprise would find them since they had been whisked away from the star system they had been in and Kirk says "This system has a trinary sun. That limits it a bit." We now know that binary and trinary systems are more the rule than the exception and that single systems, like ours, are the odd man out in the galaxy.

Offline Verroc

• west coast mma
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • west coast mma
« Reply #214 on: January 28, 2014, 07:04:10 pm »
So without reading 11 pages, does anyone still play? I got SFC up and going on the new comp and already blasted through the one player. Anyone fancy an IP game, 230 late of course :P

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #215 on: January 28, 2014, 08:28:35 pm »
Probably the key would be:  What was referred to as Alpha Centauri back in those days .. early 60's?  A ?  Was there an Alpha B back then?  Or is this just another writer's "liberty" at work?

Alpha and Beta Centauri were among the first stars found to be "binary".  Proxima wasn't found until the early 20th century. 

Offline OlBuzzard

• renegade
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #216 on: January 29, 2014, 07:30:58 am »

Alpha and Beta Centauri were among the first stars found to be "binary".  Proxima wasn't found until the early 20th century.

yeah ...  that was kind of what I was alluding to with " writers liberty" ...  A lot of that back in those days was still a very gray area ...   sooooo  the writer would use a part of fact ( or theory ) and still mix it with sci-fi stuff.  Unfortunately, a lot of that fiction turned out to be more humor today than anything else.

Let's face it:  even warp drive (while a good "theory") ...  is still very impractical as far as a means of actual space travel unless the rest of technology is developed to support it!  IMHO it was not so much a case of "this is really that badly written" as it was based on using only a smaller part of the known "facts" or "theories"  at that time.   (Some stuff is really that badly done ...  but not what we are discussing at this point of the thread).

If someone were to do a reboot of the entire series  I'm sure that there would be several items updated to better reflect what is "known" and what might suspect as only theory in that part of the galaxy.  ( I hope this makes sense).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 10:01:07 am by OlBuzzard »

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #217 on: January 29, 2014, 10:15:22 am »
And if we're talking "Lost In Space," then, yeah, a lot of scientific liberties were taken, as well as dramatic and literary ones as well. Even in it's first season they didn't pay much attention to that stuff - it was an family-friendly action show that they just stocked with scifi cliches, and Alpha Centauri was the closest "star," so, done. It was an Irwin Allen production, after all, but then, all sci fi suffers from using whatever theories are "current" which then get outdated by newer dicoveries, or just the passing of time. "2001: A Space Odyssey" is still a great movie even if moonbases, AI and the return of Nehru jackets didn't happen in 2001.

Anyone want to buy some PanAm stock I have?

Offline OlBuzzard

• renegade
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #218 on: January 29, 2014, 10:23:53 am »
Nehru shirts ..  LOL !  I forgot about those !!  I was a junior in high school when those things came out  ('69).

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #219 on: January 29, 2014, 10:32:14 am »
Enough with the science, lets get back to debating the important stuff.  Who's more awesome,

Williams Shatner

or David Hasselhoff