Topic: November Update  (Read 3814 times)

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
November Update
« on: November 30, 2013, 09:20:32 am »
Progress is being made.  I am on track for a mini demo end of the year.  This is mainly for artists to see what is needed as far as graphics and create them.  Also as a way to display 3D images, and sound.  Some ship movement and I hope limited combat.

My development utilized a framework to test out code and graphics firs to make it easier.    I also did parallel coding in that I would create something than move it to another language for testing.  This resulted in finally getting a realistic benchmark.

With numerous ships and weapons, about 2,000 in total, the pure c++ version was 77 fps.  This is fast but very slow to code.  A C# version codes much faster but is 33 fps, unsatisfactory.  But the hybrid which is what I do, uses c++ for graphics and physics and C# for everything else is a respectable 67 fps and is actually very fast to code.

This leaves open the possibility to Mod using LUA or possibly C#.

Some question still remains how we will do multiplayer?  Using dyna, maybe steam, or another.  Ne decision there yet but should start discussions there next month.  Steam would put the game on steam to purchase and for multplayer.  Dyna keeps under dynas control for everything.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
Re: November Update
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 03:06:38 pm »
If you can keep 100% of the cash in house and not have to pay Steam then that is a good thing.  For this project to be successful I think anyone should be able to host a dyna server with nothing more than their own PC.  Might be harder to program but the game won't be tied to any game service which might lead to longer playability.

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 05:15:18 pm »
If I can get the code for the dyna server it could be done.  Some rewrite of course.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 06:29:33 pm »
I appreciate the effort and all the work you have done.  I hope I'm not making too much work from my suggestions.

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 08:18:39 pm »
I appreciate the suggestions.  I think all suggestions and conversations will make a better game!

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 08:54:05 pm »
What  you made in the game?

Compare to SFC2 and 3?

How fare are you before the game is ready?

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 10:05:35 am »
First we do not license to use SFB, so I could not base it on the gameplay.  The game will have a strategic that is simlar to Birth of the Federation but not as complicated, but the general idea of controlling systems.  With a multiplayer map that will allow changing of controlled space and building syarbases etc.  Combat will be likd SFC4 but 3D.  And the ability to do Skirmish, which means to do the 3D combat only.

The best way to get an idea is to read all the topics and there is great discussion and I am using those ideas.

I anticipate a pre alpha releasr over the next 2 months.  It goes slow as there is only one of me.

The game is  hybrid.  C++ for performance for graphics and physics, and C# for non performance areas.   I have validated and this performs well.  the non critical areas c# is actually faster.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 06:14:43 pm »
It would be fun to be able to do modification to your ship at spacedock. Like new phaser, torpedo, better shield stuff like that.

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 07:29:20 pm »
Regretfully, If I do everything that is requested it will be a few more years for release.  My intent is planned expansions.  This capability is for a planned expansion.  Customization start will be upgrades capability and in teh future this will be expanded.