Topic: Star Trek the animated series  (Read 3901 times)

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
Star Trek the animated series
« on: January 18, 2014, 07:50:25 am »
I was watching two episodes  of the animated series and its just so bad. The way they talk is just line, so void of feeling compare to the series.

It seem weird, the use the same actors for the voice but its just bad. I watch a lot of cartoons but this one is bad.

You can watch them online to a web site justanimestream. look in cartoon list and prepare to suffer because its bad, to heard them talk.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: Star Trek the animated series
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 08:48:09 am »
SFB owes the Animated series for the addition of the Kzinti to the game.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 09:25:11 am »
SFB owes the Animated series for the addition of the Kzinti to the game.

And the stasis field generator.

Yes TAS has horrible animation, but that is about the only bad thing about it. Practically the whole creative team behind TOS worked on it (Walter Koenig even wrote one of the episodes!) They had no money (as usual) and Filmation was never known for quality. Funny thing is, my friend and I were just saying the other day that they should take those sound tracks and re-animate them with newer animation (possibly like The Clone Wars). They could even put Chekov back in and no one would be the wiser.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 09:39:50 am »
Yes, that would be great. Or find a way to fix the way they talk. Give more feeling, more realist. Sure not all crew are still alive, but find someone with a voise that is close to Scoty and Bone. But will the rest of them would like to do it?

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 09:47:23 am »
Ekkk that would explain why its so bad.  :buck2:

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 10:26:24 am »
Yes, that would be great. Or find a way to fix the way they talk. Give more feeling, more realist. Sure not all crew are still alive, but find someone with a voise that is close to Scoty and Bone. But will the rest of them would like to do it?

No need as their voices are already recorded from the original shows. James Doohan did most of the other male voices that they needed and Nichelle Nichols and Majel Barret did the other female voices when they couldn't get the original people to reprise their roles (which they did on a few occasions). They could recast those, but all the essential voices are already there, except Chekov since they couldn't afford to bring Walter Koenig on full time.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 01:32:05 pm »
yeeesh, all this dumping on TAS. I loved it then, and still do. I think they did an admirable job despite their limitations, creating aliens and landscapes that could never have been done in TOS, and though it was clearly a "children's" show, managed some intelligent and interesting stories. As far as the acting, sure, maybe a little flat, like a radio show where the actors recorded their lines separately (which is exactly how it was done), but it's not that bad and never falls into the occasional "hammy overacting" of TOS that is still off-putting to non-fans.

Seriously, my friends and I spent the summer of '73 sweating bullets that it was going to be so bad, look like "Fat Albert" and Spock was going to have goofy ears and Bat-mite was going to show up, and then "Beyond the Farthest Star" aired. We were blown away by how good it was. I get how the overused music can bug ya, but, it is what it is - an animated show from the seventies.

As far as "redoing" and recasting it, well, haven't we seen that done in the past few years and how poorly that can turn out  ::)

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 01:34:21 pm »
And the stasis field generator.

true, but it always bugged me that SFB stasis field was really nothing like the one in TAS. I, for one, am glad it never found it's way into SFC

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 01:16:12 am »
I really couldn't stand the guest voices.  I mean, Yesteryear is considered one of the best episodes of the series, but I couldn't watch it without cringing because of the voice of young Spock.

And another thing, you know that $VC must have been scraping the barrel for races to put in SFB, because the Kzinti as they appeared in TAS were absolutely pathetic.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 01:28:23 am by knightstorm »

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 10:02:20 am »
which is probably why the Kzin in SFB are very little like the ones seen in TAS....

In the earlier editions of SFB there was a designer's notes that explained sorta "why" he added the Kzin. The "blueprints" (fan-made) of the Klingon CA had lots of phasers that he decided were "point defense" against a missile race, which he thought the Kzinti could be, then made them as close to the Niven Kzin as he could within copyright/permissions.

Niven also wrote a ST comic strip in the 80s with his Kzinti in it, beefing them up to be more than what was in TAS.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 12:31:49 pm »
He did add the Kzinti after losing at least 4 Man-Kzin wars so they had evolved somewhat. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."